Teaching a youngster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching a youngster?

A good mate of mine's lad (age 8) fancied giving pool a go, so me, him and the lad took a trip to Shandon Snooker and Pool Club in Edinburgh this morning. First time I've been there, but what a cracking club! Best tables I've played on in years, they obviously take very good care in there. I was massivley impressed by the setup.

Anyway, tried my best to give the lad the basics without being to complicated. He did pretty well and we kept it pretty fun with some games between the three of us, and managed to set him up on the black for a winning pot in the last game (which he got and was over the moon about )

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on teahing youngsters? He's keen to go again and I'm sure he wants to properly take it up as a hobby a few sessions with an actual coach could be arranged, but in the meantime is there anything we should think about showing him first?
    Last edited by weepete; 23 October 2021, 11:59 PM.

he won't be tall enough for proper cueing technique but keep him interested potting balls on the pool table with the occasional go on the snooker table , just keep it fun and easy so he won't lose interest .

Comment

Mikee has it spot on , keep it easy and fun.
      If your going to get some coaching make sure it’s in a kids group session first instead of one to one . It will be much more relaxed and fun.

Comment

I work with beginners, some as young as five. Making a bridge hand is the number-one priority. Keeping their thumb against their knuckle is the hardest part. Then it's chin on the cue.

I start with up and down the spots. Then one red over each of the six pockets. Once they are hitting the middle of the cue-ball, I move on to Bronze Level 1 of the Cuestars Academy. If they can pass that, or get near to passing, they are ready to play proper frames. Another source of beginner exercises is the World Snooker coaching scheme.

Tim Dunkley (WPBSA coach)
        http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
          he won't be tall enough for proper cueing technique but keep him interested potting balls on the pool table with the occasional go on the snooker table , just keep it fun and easy so he won't lose interest .
          Thanks! There's a couple of things we need to work on, but as you say will try and keep it fun so he's engaged and has a good time. He improved quite a bit during the time we were there, and did enjoy it so hopefully we'll be able to keep that up.

Comment

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
            Mikee has it spot on , keep it easy and fun.
            If your going to get some coaching make sure it's in a kids group session first instead of one to one . It will be much more relaxed and fun.
            Thanks! Hadn't thought of a kids group session, that sounds bang on. I'll have a look and see if there are any locally.
            Last edited by weepete; 25 October 2021, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerdad View Post
              I work with beginners, some as young as five. Making a bridge hand is the number-one priority. Keeping their thumb against their knuckle is the hardest part. Then it's chin on the cue.

I start with up and down the spots. Then one red over each of the six pockets. Once they are hitting the middle of the cue-ball, I move on to Bronze Level 1 of the Cuestars Academy. If they can pass that, or get near to passing, they are ready to play proper frames. Another source of beginner exercises is the World Snooker coaching scheme.

Tim Dunkley (WPBSA coach)
              Thanks! I did show him how to make a proper bridge, so good to know that's a first step. Will try the reds over the pockets, next time, should've thought of that myself. I'll have a look at those excercies and give it a shot too.

Comment

Only started playing again after 15yrs because a lad at work has taken up pool. I use the opportunity to practice and also beating him all the time even though I tried to go easy on him. He now threaten to bring his mum with him to give me a thrashing😲

Comment

Working...
                X