8 ball pool county trials - preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 ball pool county trials - preparation

Hi, I am going to county trials for Worcestershire on January 16th. I've never been before and am wondering how best to prepare. Do I need to do specific practise routines? Also, I am currently playing with a snooker cue with a 9.5mm tip. To be honest I find it fine, and can get plenty of spin, but I am aware that most players would use a 9mm or smaller tip. I am wondering if it would be worth trying a smaller tip.

Also, Does anyone know the format of the trials? I'm looking forward to it, but having never been to county trials before, I need some advice. Also if there are any good players in the Worcestershire area that want a game, that would be good.

There are some world class players that play uk 8 ball with 10mm tips (Phil Harrison ,Ben Flack).Majority do tend to play with around 9mm and under.There are exceptions to the rule but larger tip better for potting,smaller tip better for position.I play with 9mm ferrule with oversize tip around 9.3mm.Worcestershire are mid table in A,B and ladies in Region 3. I believe Worcestershire have there last match of the season at home this Sunday.Go along and take a look and speak to the Manager/Captain if you are keen. If you were in my area (Shropshire) you would walk straight into the county team.Very best of luck in the trials.

Comment

As been mentioned get along to the last game, meet a few players watch what goes on. Every county has their own trials format, captains pick etc.... Region 3 is def a tough Region with Staffs and West Midlands then again most regions are tough nowadays! I play for Berks A in our region we have London, Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire and Kent who are all very capable and all would do well in Yarmouth. Once you get used to County pool you'll love it, especially if you start qualifiying for the Nationals in GT Yarmouth.

Regarding your cue I'd stick to what you're used to, 9.5 is fine.If you're getting the reaction you need then stick with it. I played a lot of snooker and gradually moved over to pool, tried different tip sizes weights, lengths etc.....went back to my original spec and playing better than ever.

Good luck in the trials ��
      Last edited by Rob153; 11 December 2015, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I've got the trials today so fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally Posted by jamesg19851 View Post
          Thanks for the advice, I've got the trials today so fingers crossed.
          How did you get on James? Hope you enjoyed the day and made a good impression.

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
            How did you get on James? Hope you enjoyed the day and made a good impression.
            Sorry for the late reply, I got into the squad. It was nerve wracking but I enjoyed it and was happy to get in.
            Last edited by jamesg19851; 28 January 2016, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by jamesg19851 View Post
              Sorry for the late reply, I got into the squad. It was nerve wracking but I enjoyed it and was happy to get in.
              Well done James, you must be over the moon to get in. Opportunity to learn from more players.

Comment

Working...
              X