Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to widen the pockets, supreme winner

Hi guys,

Any ideas on how to widen the pockets on a supreme winner....?

Down the rails at a bit of pace it is impossible to pot a ball. If it is anything but touching the cushion all the way up, it just doesn't go it at all regardless of pace.

This isn't because I am terrible, well, maybe a little, but it makes the game demoralising when you know a shot isn't going in before you play it when you have to play it with some pace.

Any ideas on how to do this, or videos or pictures? Or is it even possible!?

I’ve got the same table and regularly practice this shot along the cushion .
    I hate to say this but it’s your technique and not the table. Try using running side with the shot this helps the ball stick to the cushion . It’s always going to be a bit harder when it’s just off the cushion. You can hit them at a decent pace if you get the shot right. Playing with running side will get the cue ball moving more with less need to hit the ball harder along the cushion.
    You also have to accept that the harder you hit that shot your chances of potting it decreases, its the same on a snooker table. That’s why’s it’s so important to use side.

I would suggest practicing this shot by itself and increasing the pace as you improve . Isolating skills like this and working on them is key to improvement .

Comment

If its the same in all pockets, then it doesn't sound like a set up problem. Is the cloth fairly new?

Comment

just a question? Have you recently had the rubbers done?
        The rubbers could be too deep so now in essence the pocket fall is too far into the throat?

Starsky could be right though
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

What's a supreme winner ?
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

It's an English pool table

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
              Nice one vmax, was going to google it, Thanks Mark.
              Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

Comment

It’s something I’m not when it comes to snooker

Comment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/supreme-w...UAAOSweKNeLE2Q
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Pretty sure that's the tables we have in the club.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

Pretty sure that's the tables we have in the club.
                      They are tried and tested quality tables that withstand pub and club use for years. For around circa ?850-950...
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by truetwitch View Post
                        Hi guys,

Any ideas on how to widen the pockets on a supreme winner....?

Down the rails at a bit of pace it is impossible to pot a ball. If it is anything but touching the cushion all the way up, it just doesn't go it at all regardless of pace.

This isn't because I am terrible, well, maybe a little, but it makes the game demoralising when you know a shot isn't going in before you play it when you have to play it with some pace.

Any ideas on how to do this, or videos or pictures? Or is it even possible!?
                        are we talking tight on the rail or just off it? Big difference! what size balls you using... 48ml or 50ml? or full size snooker ball size 52ml... big diff on a pool table...
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                          It's an English pool table
                          OK, thanks Mark.

Now that I know I'll tell the OP what we did to our club pool table back in the day when we had one that wouldn't take balls along the cushion. The steward and myself lifted up the entire cushion surround, which was all in one piece and hinged like a car bonnet, lifted out the slate and placed in on the top of the table with the long length across the width so that we could access the pockets, removed the cloth from the slate around the pockets (only glued in place) and put a bevel on the edge of the pocket fall so that the balls would drop.

We used an electric drill attachment to grind the edge of the slate to create the bevel of about one inch at around 45 degrees, a bit dusty, but vacuumed away the dust and glued the cloth back into place. When all was finished we tested it by setting up a three ball plant along each cushion and played it at pocket weight, the end ball stuck to the cushion, reached the pocket and dropped whereas before it would simply stay stuck in the jaws. A much easier solution than cutting back the cushion rubbers.

This was entirely the fault of the table and not anyones technique being poor, the fall of the slate was too far into the pocket to allow balls on or very near the cushion to be deflected into the pocket. You basically had to double a ball on the cushion or play the direct pot knowing it would only block the pocket. No idea what make of table it was but if you wanted to play open pool you had no chance unless all your balls were off the cushion and in the open or you were good enough to move them.
                          Last edited by vmax; 22 May 2020, 02:09 PM.
                          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I guess the only way to tell if it’s the technique or the table is to get a decent standard player who can normally eat these shots for dinner to have a go at this particular table .

Cue Crafty has asked a good question in regards to ball size . They should still go in though regardless of size but of course it will be harder with bigger balls .....oh er missus

Comment

Working...
                            X