Poland's president plane crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poland's president plane crash

So it's all over the news now... non-stop on Lithuanian radio, RU & PL tv channels on cable, BBC...

Poland's president plane crashed in Smolensk, Western Russia, killing Poland's president, head of army, head of central bank, and many other prime importance state officials, 89 people in total. It was cloudy and the plane was advised to consider landing in Minsk (Smolensk is near Belorussian border) or Moskow instead. This was 4th attempt to land.

Poland's officials were on the way to the very first time (earlier Russia did not admit these events) of honoring WW2 events where major part of Poland's army highest officers & intellectuals were killed in mass slaughter by soviet NKVD in 1940 (so-called Katyn massacre). Now the plane remains are lying in the very same forest...
    Russia's president Medvedev immediately formed a commission led by Prime Minister Putin to investigate the issue.
    Lithuania will declare state mourning, it's about one of our neighbor countries that we share quite a lot of history with suffering from a huge tragedy.

Polish president's position untill new elections will be taken over by Parliament's marshalka (speaker). Generally so many state officials have died that there are no rules or laws in place how they should be replaced (it was said they might need to refer to Roman law).
    Also it's said that some laws/constitution was violated with so many officials boarding the same plane.

Now speaking of snooker, let's just hope that top 8 or just main tour players do not take the same plane.
    There have been cases of big numbers of bright kids and scientists crashing in the same plane.
    Largest multinational companies have policies not allowing majority of their main people travelling with the same transportation, and they probably stick to this rule more strictly than other organisations
    Last edited by ore; 10 April 2010, 02:04 PM.
    Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest.

RIP Noel. RIP.

Never heard about it here in England - has the President died?

Comment

Originally Posted by Mr P View Post
      Never heard about it here in England - has the President died?
      All over the news here bud...

Comment

Very very tragic.
        Question up. Why were they all on the same plane?

= o (

Noel

Comment

Originally Posted by ore View Post
          Now speaking of snooker, let's just hope that top 8 or just main tour players do not take the same plane.
          There have been cases of big numbers of bright kids and scientists crashing in the same plane.
          Largest multinational companies have policies not allowing majority of their main people travelling with the same transportation, and they probably stick to this rule more strictly than other organisations
          Sorry, I don't understand why there was a need to put forward safety concerns with Snooker players on future trips on planes. If this even was a major concern, group aviation would have stopped after Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and The Big Bopper (aka The Night The Music Died) tragedy in the late 1950's(1960?).

Honestly, I don't even know where to start getting annoyed with this stupid and insensitive statement, if I haven't already *fumes*

Comment

Originally Posted by BrooklynCueless View Post
            Sorry, I don't understand why there was a need to put forward safety concerns with Snooker players on future trips on planes. If this even was a major concern, group aviation would have stopped after Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and The Big Bopper (aka The Night The Music Died) tragedy in the late 1950's(1960?).

Honestly, I don't even know where to start getting annoyed with this stupid and insensitive statement, if I haven't already *fumes*
            Me too confused about what you mean - I am not anti aviation, if that's your point It could also have been the same train they would all have crashed with.
            Just thinking it's pretty clever, those policies that the most profit seeking organisations have in place - not to keep all eggs in one basket.
            And for a reason nazi & soviet powers were first of all targeting to get rid of the top crop (intellectuals, artists, the rich, the leaders of organisations, or otherwise active - anyone having brain capacity + being active) of the occupied nations, as the best way to kill off their best genes and silence the nations down. Ok, this remark is a little off topic.

As much as I know, planes are safer than cars, in % of crashes/casualties.

Wonder what would you be thinking if 1/6 of US parliament with president & head of army would have just crashed in the same plane. Or 1/4 of UK parliament with PM in the same plane/train/ship/zeppelin.

Good that Poland's Prime Minister Donald Tusk visited the place a few days ago, not together with others in this plane (due to some political disagreements with the ex president, don't know the details). Besides that it's such a tragedy, they now are having quite a mess with their institutions...

Don't think such a post by you shows your great insightfullness, sorry to say...
            Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest.

RIP Noel. RIP.

Comment

Really sad news ..

Comment

Originally Posted by ore View Post
                Me too confused about what you mean - I am not anti aviation, if that's your point It could also have been the same train they would all have crashed with.
                Just thinking it's pretty clever, those policies that the most profit seeking organisations have in place - not to keep all eggs in one basket.
                And for a reason nazi & soviet powers were first of all targeting to get rid of the top crop (intellectuals, artists, the rich, the leaders of organisations, or otherwise active - anyone having brain capacity + being active) of the occupied nations, as the best way to kill off their best genes and silence the nations down. Ok, this remark is a little off topic.

As much as I know, planes are safer than cars, in % of crashes/casualties.

Wonder what would you be thinking if 1/6 of US parliament with president & head of army would have just crashed in the same plane. Or 1/4 of UK parliament with PM in the same plane/train/ship/zeppelin.

Good that Poland's Prime Minister Donald Tusk visited the place a few days ago, not together with others in this plane (due to some political disagreements with the ex president, don't know the details). Besides that it's such a tragedy, they now are having quite a mess with their institutions...

Don't think such a post by you shows your great insightfullness, sorry to say...
                I think you may need a shovel, that hole your digging is just getting bigger...

but you just said it yourself "planes are safer than cars" so how much of a saftey concern is it for any group of people, famous, infamous or not to travel together?

Comment

football teams can't get cover to insure their entire teams on one plane. sad day for poland.
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                  X