Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

most breaks and finnishes in a night (8 ball)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• most breaks and finnishes in a night (8 ball)

While playing pool last night i broke and cleared 5 times, just wandered what other pool players have achived ?

i put a talisman soft tip on my cue (always use elks) so it was just a session to see how i got on with the tip ?

the first few frames were first to 8 for ££, no shot in the first 2 frames, then a mistake in the 3rd and 4th, i ended up loosing 8 -1 (biggest loss i can remember)
    But after a quick fag break we returned to the table and kept playing for an hour and i finally got going, winning most of the remaining games !

to be honest we must have played 20 -25 games and i can only remember my oponent missing one shot all night, and snookered himself once on the black (which he got off the oposit rail)

like the tip though - thanks andrew !

Slightly off topic,but in practice sessions I can average 16 frames an hour,playing to World Rules.My practice partner and myself both play "open" in these sessions,which essentially are potting and position games.

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
      Slightly off topic,but in practice sessions I can average 16 frames an hour,playing to World Rules.My practice partner and myself both play "open" in these sessions,which essentially are potting and position games.
      i need to change my practice game as i just pot everything so fast, ive always had my own table at home so over the years ive just ran round potting as quick as i can ?
      Now i am starting to play more ofter with a practice partner (blackball) i have started to practice differently when on my own !

any suggestions on routines for pool would be nice ?

i have started to put all the yellows on the table in random places, clear them, then add a red ball, then two red balls, then 3 ect, until i get through to 7 reds, then i try to remove one each time until i finally get down to just the yellows again !

funny how i did this yesturday and broke and cleared 5 times in the last 6 brakes ?

Comment

I am extremely fortunate that one of my local clubs is Players in Newcastle.Lee Kendall ( England Captain) and Gareth Potts ( multiple World Champion) run this club.Staffordshire County "A","B", Ladies and Juniors all use this club as their base.Trent Trophies,who have just won their 10th Super League title (out of 96 nationwide teams) are also based in my area.I play Wednesday night in the Trent Trophies League and regularly see the big boys in action.Quality of practice partner is everything as each game you play you must use to learn from e.g.natural angles,you pot without thinking,just play the shot and on to the next.This February I will have been playing the game for 30 yrs,legally i.e in licensed premises.I had a break of between 15&16 yrs from competitive pool (although I still played for fun) from 94/95 season to 2009.I joined a team for the 2010 seaon and was fortunate enough to complete a league and cup double in the Trent Trophies League,admittedly Division 2 and we only lost 1 league game all season.This was my first season playing World Rules and there is soooo much to learn,so I tend to play very attacking.quite open pool.Win or lose its a night out with the boys,nuff said.You cant get better unless you play against better opponents,you get beat up a lot but there will come a time when you pinch a frame,then another and another and so it goes on.Good luck for the future.

Comment

Originally Posted by crispian jones View Post
          While playing pool last night i broke and cleared 5 times, just wandered what other pool players have achived ?

i put a talisman soft tip on my cue (always use elks) so it was just a session to see how i got on with the tip ?

the first few frames were first to 8 for ££, no shot in the first 2 frames, then a mistake in the 3rd and 4th, i ended up loosing 8 -1 (biggest loss i can remember)
          But after a quick fag break we returned to the table and kept playing for an hour and i finally got going, winning most of the remaining games !

to be honest we must have played 20 -25 games and i can only remember my oponent missing one shot all night, and snookered himself once on the black (which he got off the oposit rail)

!

Well marathon practice sessions have been known to be my forte in the past...

The other Christmas myself and a mate who now works with me were both single and had tables at home... The first session at his apartment we played 78 frames through the night until we couldn't stand up no more... I won 53 - 25. The next session at mine we played 63 frames and I won 41 - 22. So 94 - 47 overall and that was 141 frames of nice open attacking pool with very little safety. Can't remember how many dishes we did, but must have been a fair few.

We don't play World Rules, rather Bapto, 2 shots free table, ball in hand after a foul etc.

Another time I played on an August BH with my mate who's the landlord of a town centre pub. Fortunately, it was very quiet, so we had around 50 frames, again with hardly any safety...both of us just kept doin mad clearances!

Nowadays, I don't practice at all other than the odd game with a beer - usually for a pound. Generally too busy, can't motivate myself and more into snooker currently. This is despite working on pool tables most days.

Yes you need a quality practice partner to give it an edge and a nice level, fast table, plus a decent set of balls to add to the enjoyment.

I need something to get my pool Mojo back before the Monday league starts again in a couple of months... AGM sometime next month and no doubt, as happens every year, some fool will try and introduce World Rules, but hopefully common sense will prevail and we'll keep to the rules we've played for the last 25 years and all the players know well - why fix it if it aint broke!!!

l
          Last edited by snookerpoolman; 20 January 2011, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Once a week i play first to 19 with a good player, and try to play as mutch as i can other than this, leauge on sundays, cups on thursdays and starting with a singles leauge in two weeks time (best of 6)
            The problem is we only get the 1 game on a sunday and thursday (after traveling 18 miles) and our leauge has never had a singles leauge before, so it is difficult to get regular games unless i enter comps ? and unfortunatly there arent that many held up this end !
            I do try to go to all the comps that are held in rhyl (Bapto 5 man last time)
            But even our last "north wales tour" fell through and i have not been to the last season one, but will make an effort to go when it starts again ?

Comment

why not start entering the wot (welsh open tour) or the pfw (world rules) tour, it should bring your game on no ends playing and watching.

there's also regular £50 a man comps down here, in fact there's 1 next weekend in neath.

i practise 15-1 quite a bit, each time trying to beat my last score, i did 128 the other night, so thats 8 and a bit racks before i missed.

another tough routine is try to clear all your balls without hitting a cush, cue ball's got to be spot on!

but it's very important to play a good player in practise, so you get punished for your mistakes, and try and practise how you'd play a match.

practise how you'd play, and play how you practise.

Comment

and no disrespect to the comps you enter in rhyl, but they aint a patch on the welsh festival of pool held in trecco bay, porthcawl.

it's held every november and comprises of the welsh closed, welsh open, county cup team event, the welsh over 40's, under 16, 18 and 21's too.

the north wales county/interleague teams never seem to enter.

i know a couple of the north wales lads, trevor roberts was a good player, colin healy a tidy player too, then if you go down a little further to welshpool, you've got my butty wayne smith and andrew hughes, 2 very good players.

Comment

Most of the problems here are the fact that there is not to mutch in the way of comps, but it has improved over the last few year locally.
                  But to be fair when someone has had the balls to organise anything the turnout is always quite low !

Comment

Working...
                  X