• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed

on my laptop on the icon tray in the bottom it says

Connection Status Unknown

The Dependency service or Group Failed to start
    and i cant conect to my internet off it

it happened Last night and God knows what it means Does anyone know how to solve this ?

Please proceed at your own risk as I've not encountered this issue and haven't tried this solution myself, its's just something I found via Google.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...d-b6ff02f10c56

Some useful info on this thread about your issue, hopefully this helps.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
      Please proceed at your own risk as I've not encountered this issue and haven't tried this solution myself, its's just something I found via Google.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...d-b6ff02f10c56

Some useful info on this thread about your issue, hopefully this helps.
      As Gerry said, proceed at your own risk. However, if you want my advice (I'm a computer software engineer) I think this response is the most likely to help you:

I had the same issue and as it turns out, the issue is caused by a corruption in the TCP/IP Stack

To fix, you will need to run a command prompt as administrator

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt (Right-Click and Run as Administrator)

At the command Prompt type : netsh winsock reset

Ignore all errors, restart and voila'
      The dependency service it is talking about is likely "tcpip". Unfortunately, as this is a driver level service you cannot see whether it's running in the Start > Administrative Tools > Services control panel.

Before doing the fix above you could try to verify which service failed to start by looking in Start > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Look for Yellow or Red events in the System and Application logs (under Windows Logs on Vista/7) since the time you last booted. The event "Source" will probably say "Service Control Manager" as this is the thing which starts services on machine startup.

Feel free to PM me the details of any you find which indicate a service failed to start (double click to popup, then click the copy button or clipboard icon to copy the details, then use ctrl+v to paste into the PM to me).

Or, just try the fix for tcpip mentioned above .. it should be fairly safe, but proceed at your own risk.

If all else fails, make sure you have the installation cd for your OS and try booting that and doing a 'repair'.
      "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
      - Linus Pauling

Comment

Working...
      X