english football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
    the last english world class player was 20 odd years ago in gazza.
    didnt think be agreeing with a scotsman about england team but spot on, part of last team aswell who really wanted to play for england.
    Last edited by mattyshinobi22; 10 February 2012, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyshinobi22 View Post
      didnt think be agreeing with a scotsman about england team but spot on, part of last team aswell who really wanted to play for england.
      from an outside point of view its obvious and yes gazza and co would have done it for free.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

If anyone outside england had to name their best team in the last decade no english players would be in them. If you took the foreign players out the big english teams they would struggle to get out CL group stages.

Comment

Originally Posted by paddybhoy30 View Post
          If anyone outside england had to name their best team in the last decade no english players would be in them. If you took the foreign players out the big english teams they would struggle to get out CL group stages.
          i think you are right although scholes might be a good shout, in the middle with zidane.

Comment

Xavi all day long

Comment

i don't really rate xavi he looks good more because of those around him at barca

Comment

Scholes has had decent players alongside also.

Comment

Scholes has had decent players alongside also.
                  true enough

Comment

If i had to choose someone to play alongside zizou it would probably be nedved his old teammate.

Comment

If i had to choose someone to play alongside zizou it would probably be nedved his old teammate.
                      or maybe figo ? christiano ronaldo is also pretty good if a bit of a t1t

Comment

Prefer them on the wings myself.

Comment

I don't think there is a single player in the world today who can compare with Best, Charlton, Pele, Zico and Crujff. The days of the great individualists are over. Kids are taught possession football from an early age and coaches are turning out Frank Lampards by the dozen. Messi is the exception that proves the rule but even he is hyped up out of all proportion. Take him back forty years, give him an old heavy ball and a referee that turns down all his diving and Bobby Moore would have him in his pocket, cleanly, while Gentile would hit him hard enough in one tackle to make him disappear completely.

I had the misfortune to watch Chelsea v Man Utd on sunday. While the pundits were drooling over the match saying that it contained everything that is great about the premiership, all I saw was an awful lot of diving for free kicks and penalties, a super light ball that is easy to make short sharp sidefoot passes with, can be hit like a rocket from short range with no backlift and moves around like a gay man's arse at an Abba convention from long range, some really poor defending and the worst referee in the world in Howard Webb.
                          This isn't only english football that's like this, it's world football and the once truly beautiful game has gone. I'm glad I'm an old fart who's lived through the best rock music (60's-70's), the best football (60's-70's), the best comedy (60's -70's) the best snooker (70's-80's) and the most beautiful women (50's -60's). This isn't a generational thing where I'm nostalgic for my youth (well maybe the women are) but these things were better back in the day, more real, not marketed for the Mac burger and diet coke like they are now. The United States of Advertising has it's grubby little hands on our heritage now, and I for one don't like it.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                            I'm an old fart
                            Enough said

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                              I don't think there is a single player in the world today who can compare with Best, Charlton, Pele, Zico and Crujff. The days of the great individualists are over. Kids are taught possession football from an early age and coaches are turning out Frank Lampards by the dozen. Messi is the exception that proves the rule but even he is hyped up out of all proportion. Take him back forty years, give him an old heavy ball and a referee that turns down all his diving and Bobby Moore would have him in his pocket, cleanly, while Gentile would hit him hard enough in one tackle to make him disappear completely.

I had the misfortune to watch Chelsea v Man Utd on sunday. While the pundits were drooling over the match saying that it contained everything that is great about the premiership, all I saw was an awful lot of diving for free kicks and penalties, a super light ball that is easy to make short sharp sidefoot passes with, can be hit like a rocket from short range with no backlift and moves around like a gay man's arse at an Abba convention from long range, some really poor defending and the worst referee in the world in Howard Webb.
                              This isn't only english football that's like this, it's world football and the once truly beautiful game has gone. I'm glad I'm an old fart who's lived through the best rock music (60's-70's), the best football (60's-70's), the best comedy (60's -70's) the best snooker (70's-80's) and the most beautiful women (50's -60's). This isn't a generational thing where I'm nostalgic for my youth (well maybe the women are) but these things were better back in the day, more real, not marketed for the Mac burger and diet coke like they are now. The United States of Advertising has it's grubby little hands on our heritage now, and I for one don't like it.
                              yes and no , todays footballers are unquestionably fitter, stronger and faster than those that came before them, as in every field of human endeavour. as for the best era's, music yes i think thats a fair comment, football that's debatable, comedy i would have gone for the 80's and snooker is the either the 90's or the noughties depending on what you mean. most beautiful women, umm Audrey Hepburn takes some beating!

Comment

Let's say that the conditions for the summers euros will be hot and sunny everyday, and that english players with great engines will run out of puff after ten minutes, and that most players will be diving around as usual, what english team, and tactics would you employ to stand even a small chance of progress.

ADR147

todays footballers are not really fitter, stronger and faster. Their lack of skill makes the game reliant on these factors now, that and the use of offside tactics which has condensed the play in the middle of the pitch. When you look back at matches from the 60's the play was spread out more because defenders patrolled just outside the penalty area and not the halfway line as now, and players had more time on the ball so the game looked slower.

Take a look at this picture of Marlene Dietrich

just how classy and sexy is that compared to those girls in Loaded.

Comment

Working...
                                X