Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Davy Jones of "The Monkees" Dies aged 66....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davy Jones of "The Monkees" Dies aged 66....

Davy Jones of The Monkees dies aged 66

"Davy Jones was the only British member of The Monkees

Davy Jones, Manchester-born lead singer with 60s band The Monkees, has died aged 66, his publicist has confirmed.

He died in his sleep at his home in Florida. His publicist, Deborah Robicheau, said he had a massive heart attack.

The band, who included musicians Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork, were famous for hits including Daydream Believer and I'm a Believer.

The Monkees were an American pop band, assembled in 1966.

Jones was married three times and had four daughters.

Early on in his showbusiness career he appeared as Ena Sharples's grandson in ITV soap Coronation Street.

The band found fame through a successful television series, popular in both the US and the UK.

They were famous for their clean-cut image and were marketed as the American answer to The Beatles, notching up nine top 40 hits.
    Acting career

Three of the band's original members - Jones, Dolenz and Tork - reunited together last year to play a series of gigs.

He also appeared in the television series Z Cars before leaving showbusiness to train as a jockey.

He came back to acting with a role in a stage production of Oliver! He appeared in the West End and followed the show to Broadway where he built up a career as an actor and singer before auditioning for The Monkees.

A spokeswoman for the Medical Examiner's Office for Martin County, Florida, said: "The District 19 Medical Examiner's Office has been informed of the death of Mr Davy Jones".

"The Medical Examiner's Office will take jurisdiction and a possible autopsy will be performed and evaluation of the circumstances of death and medical information."

R.I.P Davy Jones...

Last edited by cally; 29 February 2012, 09:12 PM.

Comment

R.i.p. .

Comment

The very first of the 'manufactured' boy bands who all answered an ad for "actors with musical ability wanted".
        With the full weight of a tv station and some of the USA's best songwriters behind them they became a viable alternative to the british invasion in the 1960's and created some perfect pop music to go alongside their wacky beatlesque humour.
        I was a very young lad when they were at their pinnacle but the fact that I still know and like their songs tells me that they were pretty O.K. why ? because music had melody then and the lyrics meant something. R.I.P. Davy Jones.
        Here's one where he sings lead vocals.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU615FaODCg

Lovely song.

Comment

My mrs told me about this the other day. At first I thought she was joking, then I saw her face....

Oops
          If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

RIP Davy Jones

The Monkees are one of favorite childhood memories.....
            Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
            Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Working...
            X