Building bridges using snooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building bridges using snooker

Sad to say me and my son had a massive bust up back in May this year, ended up with me kicking him out on the 9th, we didn't speak again for 13 odd weeks, it's a long time (he's 19 by the way)
    He lived at his girlfriends for about 14 weeks then fell out with her so went to his Gran's, anyhow we have been back on speaking terms and tonight went for a few frames of snooker, and several pints
    He told me he played pool, altho not very well lol, i gave him 80 start and still wiped the floor with him, but we got on well and who knows where it goes, i said he can come home, but he says he can't settle at my house
    More snooker lessons to come hopefully

Sad story but there comes a time when they spread their wings and I hope it works our for you both JRC you'll always be his dad and you being there for him is more than a lot ever have.
    Great to be able to get together and have a game - only ever played my lad once at snooker and he beat me.

Comment

Yeah felt good, but slightly awkward too, he's been back to my house several times but just cannot settle for more than 1/2 hour, bad memories and all that kinda stuff.

Comment

it's a generation thing jrc, well done for trying and keep it up ...

I doubt you and he will ever see eye-to-eye, he's new generation and you're from the previous one (I hesitate to use to word old or older lol) but as Byrom wisely said, you're his Dad and he needs you to be there for him even though he's unlikely to think it or admit it ...

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          Yeah felt good, but slightly awkward too, he's been back to my house several times but just cannot settle for more than 1/2 hour, bad memories and all that kinda stuff.
          They F*ck You Up (How To Survive Family Life) by Oliver James

Buy it and read it without prejudice and then pass it on to your boy. You will learn just what mistakes you made, what mistakes your dad made etc etc, and hopefully your boy will learn not to carry them on.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post

Buy it and read it without prejudice and then pass it on to your boy. You will learn just what mistakes you made, what mistakes your dad made etc etc, and hopefully your boy will learn not to carry them on.
            I didn't make the mistakes lol, he did !!!
            Long story tho
            But yeah might search it out, cheers
            Last edited by jrc750; 11 September 2013, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Hope it all sorts out for you JRC ........life is too short , as we all know only too well .
              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post

This Be The Verse by Philip Larkin?
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

This Be The Verse

By Philip Larkin 1922–1985

They **** you up, your mum and dad.
                  They may not mean to, but they do.
                  They fill you with the faults they had
                  And add some extra, just for you.

But they were ****ed up in their turn
                  By fools in old-style hats and coats,
                  Who half the time were soppy-stern
                  And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
                  It deepens like a coastal shelf.
                  Get out as early as you can,
                  And don’t have any kids yourself.

Comment

I fell out with my old man, when not much older than your boy, ended up moving out. We reconciled after about 6 months and got on better than ever, I think we both were more tolerant and understanding of each other, so there is hope mate.

Mind you we don't speak now, on account of him being a horrible fecker !

Comment

Me and my sister fell out about 6 years ago aver something quite trivial. It was only in January this year we reconciled. We are closer than we have ever been. Do everything in your power to kiss and make up, life is short.
                      Last edited by fred.england; 11 September 2013, 09:08 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
                      You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone, trying our best but things did very out of hand, fight escalated into him coming at me with a knife, (for the 2nd time) my bedroom door was only thing that saved me, the door didn't make it unfortunately. Police involved etc etc, it's not going to be easy, my family would kill me for just talking to him again.
                        But he's my son and i'll do what i think is right, he needs help and no one else stepping up

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          Thanks everyone, trying our best but things did very out of hand, fight escalated into him coming at me with a knife, (for the 2nd time) my bedroom door was only thing that saved me, the door didn't make it unfortunately. Police involved etc etc, it's not going to be easy, my family would kill me for just talking to him again.
                          But he's my son and i'll do what i think is right, he needs help and no one else stepping up
                          It's great to hear you are trying to build bridges. Please don't give up.
                          You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by fred.england View Post
                            Me and my sister fell out about 6 years ago aver something quite trivial. It was only in January this year we reconciled. We are closer than we have ever been. Do everything in your power to kiss and make up, life is short.
                            you bet it is. any one of us could be run over by a bus in the morning.

Comment

well I made it to work safely this morning
                              got to say though, one of the Heathrow coaches got a bit close
                              Last edited by DeanH; 12 September 2013, 07:14 AM.
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X