Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going back to university at 29 years old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going back to university at 29 years old?

Ok, this has nothing to do with snooker but I just want some opinions on something I'm considering.

I'm 29 years old now, and because I had some rough years when I was younger I never went to university, something I've always regretted.
    I've done a lot of different jobs in my life. I have worked in construction, warehouses, stores, factories etc... My last boss had to stop and now I'm unemployed.
    My heart was never into any of the jobs I've done and I don't like that feeling. . My passions and interests are literature, art, music and history.

Because I'm unemployed right now I started contemplating what I would like to do with my life. One dream I have is to one day have my own second hand book and record store.

I'm thinking about going back to university but I have serious doubts about it... I live alone and I'm single right now. So financially I think I could do it if I want..

Anybody have some advice for me? Or any thoughts on my story?

(If my english is a bit weird please excuse me, it's not my native language)
    Box the chimp.

If your heart is set on going to university then make it happen, worst case scenario you just dropout and find employment again! You could always get a part time job to help fund your expenses. What's the economy like in Belgium, easy to find employment?
    Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

If you can afford it..do it. Best time of my life and would do anything to turn back the years..

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
        If your heart is set on going to university then make it happen, worst case scenario you just dropout and find employment again! You could always get a part time job to help fund your expenses. What's the economy like in Belgium, easy to find employment?
        Thanks for the advice. Economy not great in Belgium at the moment, like anywhere else in europe right now I suppose.
        Box the chimp.

Comment

Originally Posted by jono* View Post
          If you can afford it..do it. Best time of my life and would do anything to turn back the years..
          Thanks for your input. It's the age thing thats holding me back a bit I think. If I was 18 now I would have no doubts. But better late than never I suppose...
          Box the chimp.

Comment

Originally Posted by Holden Chinaski View Post
            Thanks for your input. It's the age thing thats holding me back a bit I think. If I was 18 now I would have no doubts. But better late than never I suppose...
            I would certainly go back, just think of all those 18-20 years olds...
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Do it! If you can afford to do it then what have you got to lose? Like SouthPaw said, you can always go back to working if it doesn't work out. What do you intend on studying? :snooker:
              "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Originally Posted by willtyson View Post
                Do it! If you can afford to do it then what have you got to lose? Like SouthPaw said, you can always go back to working if it doesn't work out. What do you intend on studying? :snooker:
                like I said, all those 18-20 year olds

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  I would certainly go back, just think of all those 18-20 years olds...
                  Lol, I have thought about that actually. Why did you think I was thinking of university in the first place?
                  Box the chimp.

Comment

Lol, I have thought about that actually. Why did you think I was thinking of university in the first place?
                    of course you are single at the moment, I don't agree with affairs

Comment

Well I'm currently at university and you do see quite a few 'mature' students. Having said that they seem to keep themselves to themselves not particularly social, but then they are a little bit older than you. Would you plan on going to a local uni and commuting from home or moving away to study?

Comment

Originally Posted by willtyson View Post
                        I havent made my mind up about what to study exactly. My interests are mainly literature, art and history. So I would like to study either Language & Literature, Art History, History, Philosophy, orr something in those lines.
                        It might be smarter to study something more business like but my heart is not into that. And nowadays it's not so much what you studied thats important, it's just the fact that you studied something I think.
                        Box the chimp.

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
                          Well I'm currently at university and you do see quite a few 'mature' students. Having said that they seem to keep themselves to themselves not particularly social, but then they are a little bit older than you. Would you plan on going to a local uni and commuting from home or moving away to study?
                          I live in a university city so I wouldn't have to move. What are you studying?
                          Box the chimp.

Comment

I live in a university city so I wouldn't have to move. What are you studying?
                            Mechanical systems Engineering & Advanced fluid mechanics, or as my mates seem to think 'easy maths'

I havent made my mind up about what to study exactly. My interests are mainly literature, art and history. So I would like to study either Language & Literature, Art History, History, Philosophy, orr something in those lines.
                            It might be smarter to study something more business like but my heart is not into that.
                            Interesting choices, one thing for sure. Lots girls on those courses (at least 50/50), by comparison with engineering for me at least 7 per 350

And nowadays it's not so much what you studied thats important, it's just the fact that you studied something I think.
                            I think it depends on what you want to do after, obviously there are some careers out there that you have to study specific things for
                            Last edited by RogiBear; 5 March 2014, 05:54 PM. Reason: oops

Comment

Your never too old to learn - I think God gave us this ambition a size to big so we could grow into it.

“All people dream, but not equally.
                              Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind, wake in the
                              morning to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous
                              people, For they dream their dreams with open eyes, And make them come
                              true.”

― D.H. Lawrence

Comment

Working...
                              X