Anyone make their own beer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone make their own beer?

I'm thinking of starting to make my own beer and I'm a complete newbie at beer making.

Any ideas where I should start? Can you make something drinkable?

I had a go in my fresher year. My mate had a BYO kit that we used. It wasn't fantastic but it was palatable. Once you've had a dozen of the good stuff you don't seem to care, especially at the price it costs you

Comment

Had a go at making the home made vino back in the eighties, it was like paint stripper, but once your taste buds had been eaten away, it tasted fairly good.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Not worth the hassle, take a trip to your local brewery, they let you throw in a handfull of hops and call it your own!
        No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

I would think you would have the same thing in UK as we have here, small 'brew your own' shops with all the material you need plus (supposedly) expert help to get you on your way. The cost is really low and I've heard you usually get a decent brew and they even have those pure filters to get all the garbage out and end up with a nice clear brew.

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

No but I was tempted to grow my own

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              I would think you would have the same thing in UK as we have here, small 'brew your own' shops with all the material you need plus (supposedly) expert help to get you on your way. The cost is really low and I've heard you usually get a decent brew and they even have those pure filters to get all the garbage out and end up with a nice clear brew.

Terry
              I have fond memories of visiting my brother and at the family dining table being proudly presented with this bottle of something 'special' he had been lovingly nurturing over for the last couple of months.

A bottle of what we later called 'brown trout' due to the look of the dark foreboding liquid and the taste that tended to grab you by the throat. The unpleasant after effects we experienced the following morning in the lower regions was also a testament to the potency of this evil brew.

However, It wasn't that bad that it stopped us experiencing the delights of brown trout the following evening in quantities that in hindsight was a mistake considering I was on an early flight home and the obvious discomfort I wrought on my fellow passengers due to a certain brown trout bouquet that tended to follow me around which from time to time was emitted from every orifice.

That home brew certainly had an impressive cleansing effect.

I am hoping to avoid the more serious effects of that kind of beer and brew something more akin to lager.

Comment

Yes, it is easy to make and as already said really cheap to brew your own (about 29 cents per longneck).

Make sure you sterilise everything!

Try not to drink it until it is ready to drink

Start saving empty longnecks and have a few batches on the go at any one time.

Give it a go!
                My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                  I'm thinking of starting to make my own beer and I'm a complete newbie at beer making.

Any ideas where I should start? Can you make something drinkable?
                  The last thing you need is to start making bear getting drunk and doing your self a injury have you not been through enough

Comment

Originally Posted by Removal man stevie View Post
                    The last thing you need is to start making bear getting drunk and doing your self a injury have you not been through enough
                    LOL. I haven't thought of that.

I was in Wilkinsons today and I can get a beer making kit consisting of a big plastic bucket thing, a big plastic barrel and some tubes etc... plus the lager stuff for around £40. Which works out to a pound a pint.
                    Going forward you can just buy the lager stuff for £10 which you add sugar and water. It then comes to 25p a pint. Not bad.

Comment

Keep an eye on the kits in morisons. Sometimes see them for less than a fiver. My dad did a lager but just tasted like water. He likes his stouts home made though

Comment

I ordered one of these from Tescos. Only £23.50 with £8 off. Fab.

I'll let you know of my progress.

Comment

Hogmanay at Cyberheaters this year come one come all.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                            I ordered one of these from Tescos. Only £23.50 with £8 off. Fab.

I'll let you know of my progress.
                            That's you giving up on the snooker now mate and opening a pub in your shed

Comment

Originally Posted by Removal man stevie View Post
                              That's you giving up on the snooker now mate and opening a pub in your shed
                              If you mean my garage then yes. :very_drunk:

Comment

Working...
                              X