Import Duty - USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import Duty - USA

anyone know the import duty limits sending to USA?
    cheers
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    anyone know the import duty limits sending to USA?
    cheers
    I believe that items up to a value of $200 are exempt from import duty. However depending on the state tax may have to be paid.

Comment

Import Duty - USA

I tried a website and yes for £200 total value and shipping is zero duty
      It didn't have state definition though

Comment

It depends on so many things: value, type of product being shipped/imported (e.g., luxury goods normally subject to higher duties), where it's coming from (e.g., agreements between US and country of origin, special international trade programs for certain less developed countries), what's in it (e.g., ban on ivory imports), etc.

Duties are not determined at the State level (it does not depend on what State you ship that to). The US Congress takes care of establishing the rates for the entire country. However, just like everything else with a human being involved in the decision process, you'll hear many stories about different people importing the same thing under the same conditions and be charged different duties. Many things can explain that, and can be anything from the officer who got your package did not do his/her job properly, or made a mistake, or "interpreted" the rule differently,... all the way to he/she just felt like giving you a break that day when he/she read the package description & value (whatever the reason is).

You've got to assume though that most of the time this is being done diligently. There are several websites you can use to have a sense of what you can expect to pay (see http://www.dutycalculator.com/ for instance).

If you're trying to smuggle a snooker cue & case I can tell you I've done that a few times now with a pretty high declared value (500GBP+) and never had any issue. I can also give you my address and I will gladly accept it as a gift! ;-)

Hope that helps.

G-

Comment

sorry Gulliver, not a cue & case
          a set of 3 old books going to Tennessee, valued at £200 + £40 posted, so from the website I found they did not incur any duty.
          just in case though I have said to the buyer that if they do happen to get a charge, it is his responsibility.
          I have done the best investigation from here
          Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I love books too!

Should not have any duty fees with books...

Comment

I totally agree Gulliver, and I have nearly coloured in most of my new book, most of it within the lines as well, I don't like to brag, but I'm quite proud of myself.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                I totally agree Gulliver, and I have nearly coloured in most of my new book, most of it within the lines as well, I don't like to brag, but I'm quite proud of myself.
                LOL

well the courier picked up today, so out of my hands now

Comment

Working...
                X