Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Room 101

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    I went to the 2012 Paralympics here when we hosted the games, it was a fantastic day and so heart warming to see these talented people have a real stage on which to showcase their hard work and dedication. For them to have this outlet to compete is so important in our society and its success speaks for itself.

    If all you can see is disabled people struggling when you watch it you've completely missed the point.
    I think the point is that they are stretching themselves, and good for them, but it's not something I enjoy watching, sorry Invictus games even worse I feel. We have a disabled bloke at work, one leg and a damaged hand, and when I'm working near him I help him all the time rather than stand back and let him do it all himself, which is probably what he wants, but I feel compelled to help as it's my nature.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally Posted by vmax View Post

      I think the point is that they are stretching themselves, and good for them, but it's not something I enjoy watching, sorry Invictus games even worse I feel. We have a disabled bloke at work, one leg and a damaged hand, and when I'm working near him I help him all the time rather than stand back and let him do it all himself, which is probably what he wants, but I feel compelled to help as it's my nature.
      Not sure that is your nature, sounds like you'd rather he wasn't allowed to work at all because it makes you uncomfortable. Between that and thinking we're evolved from stoned apes, it sounds like you need to do some more time reading books and avoiding peculiar corners of the internet

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post

        Not sure that is your nature, sounds like you'd rather he wasn't allowed to work at all because it makes you uncomfortable. Between that and thinking we're evolved from stoned apes, it sounds like you need to do some more time reading books and avoiding peculiar corners of the internet
        are you saying you dont believe in evolution?
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

          are you saying you dont believe in evolution?
          No, of course I do. Natural selection and all that is pretty well established. But, Vmax refers to what is known as the 'stoned ape' theory in his post. The theory that apes evolved into humans due to ingesting magic mushrooms, which super charged their brains. It is nonsense, but some people believe anything they read on the internet. This is what he said:

          "humans evolved from apes and probably evolved a high intelligence at an accelerated rate due to ingestion of pyschoactive plants by the pregnant females. This is a thesis that cannot be proven but it holds up intellectually"

          100% doesn't hold up intellectually
          Last edited by Mark187187; 2 September 2021, 03:58 PM.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post

            Not sure that is your nature, sounds like you'd rather he wasn't allowed to work at all because it makes you uncomfortable. Between that and thinking we're evolved from stoned apes, it sounds like you need to do some more time reading books and avoiding peculiar corners of the internet
            He's fine with his work except that as he only has one leg, and his false leg cannot bend, he struggles carrying the 25 kg bags of material that he needs to feed into his machine, so I fetch them for him when I'm working close to him, others don't. If that makes me a bad person then so be it.

            I've got over three hundred books on shelves in my flat, including Food Of The Gods, True Hallucinations, The Archaic Revival, and The Invisible Landscap written by the late ethnobotanist Terence McKenna. My beliefs and the knowledge that went into forming them was gained from reading books on subjects that I was interested in long before the advent of the internet. I don't google anything I wish to know apart from trivia like dates, names and places etc.

            The Los Angeles Times book review said of McKenna's Food Of The Gods, " Remarkable............There is a logic to McKenna's two principal arguments that cannot be dismissed", except by religious spokesmen for obvious reasons and those like yourself who cannot even give a reason.
            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally Posted by vmax View Post

              He's fine with his work except that as he only has one leg, and his false leg cannot bend, he struggles carrying the 25 kg bags of material that he needs to feed into his machine, so I fetch them for him when I'm working close to him, others don't. If that makes me a bad person then so be it.

              I've got over three hundred books on shelves in my flat, including Food Of The Gods, True Hallucinations, The Archaic Revival, and The Invisible Landscap written by the late ethnobotanist Terence McKenna. My beliefs and the knowledge that went into forming them was gained from reading books on subjects that I was interested in long before the advent of the internet. I don't google anything I wish to know apart from trivia like dates, names and places etc.

              The Los Angeles Times book review said of McKenna's Food Of The Gods, " Remarkable............There is a logic to McKenna's two principal arguments that cannot be dismissed", except by religious spokesmen for obvious reasons and those like yourself who cannot even give a reason.
              Well, McKenna's hypothesis (it's not actually a theory as there isn't any evidence or proof for any of it) isn't based on any science or research, and much of it can be debunked. One obvious problem, is that the brain development in African apes he suggests were caused by magic mushrooms, couldn't have happened because the climate at that time in this area wouldn't have supported the growth of magic mushrooms. He also says they improve vision in a way which would aid hunting. This has also been disproved, and the citations he provides as evidence don't say what he says they say. The whole point of scientific study is to find a proof of a hypothesis. Mckenna provides a hypothesis but no proof.

              Comment


              • #37
                I prefer the artic monkeys personally. They are definitely descended from Homonins specific to the musical tribes.
                Last edited by Cue crafty; 3 September 2021, 08:44 PM.
                No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                  I prefer the artic monkeys personally. They are definitely descended from Homonins specific to the musical tribes.
                  I prefer magic mushrooms but only in my traveller raving days 30 years ago . I think those apes were onto something ….. This is the end my beautiful friend

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

                    I prefer magic mushrooms but only in my traveller raving days 30 years ago . I think those apes were onto something ….. This is the end my beautiful friend
                    Well opened a few "Doors" for people! Jim was definitely a Monkey man.
                    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      When I was young a few of my pals used to partake in the shrooms. They were all thick as pig ****.
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post

                        Well, McKenna's hypothesis (it's not actually a theory as there isn't any evidence or proof for any of it) isn't based on any science or research, and much of it can be debunked. One obvious problem, is that the brain development in African apes he suggests were caused by magic mushrooms, couldn't have happened because the climate at that time in this area wouldn't have supported the growth of magic mushrooms. He also says they improve vision in a way which would aid hunting. This has also been disproved, and the citations he provides as evidence don't say what he says they say. The whole point of scientific study is to find a proof of a hypothesis. Mckenna provides a hypothesis but no proof.
                        You obviously haven't read McKenna and have simply googled what you want to back your discord. McKenna writes about many different plants that humans encountered as they migrated across the world which they put into their diet. The start of the human migration was from africa and the iboga plant is the one that's seen by many as the genesis of human intelligence as it's active alkaloid releases deep subconscious memories that can even go beyond ones own life and tap into the collective unconscious as Jung has called it.

                        Ibogaine is a drug that is used experimentally today to treat drug addiction, but as it's been placed in category 1 of narcotics in the USA it's use is limited because it's illegal. McKenna believed that the magic mushroom was the genesis of the evolution of human language which along with enhanced memory gave humans the ability to convey those memories through speach rather than action, the beginning of teaching.

                        You say McKenna's hypothesis has been disproved, maybe you could tell us by whom and how a hypothesis that cannot be proven can be disproven.
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally Posted by vmax View Post

                          You obviously haven't read McKenna and have simply googled what you want to back your discord. McKenna writes about many different plants that humans encountered as they migrated across the world which they put into their diet. The start of the human migration was from africa and the iboga plant is the one that's seen by many as the genesis of human intelligence as it's active alkaloid releases deep subconscious memories that can even go beyond ones own life and tap into the collective unconscious as Jung has called it.

                          Ibogaine is a drug that is used experimentally today to treat drug addiction, but as it's been placed in category 1 of narcotics in the USA it's use is limited because it's illegal. McKenna believed that the magic mushroom was the genesis of the evolution of human language which along with enhanced memory gave humans the ability to convey those memories through speach rather than action, the beginning of teaching.

                          You say McKenna's hypothesis has been disproved, maybe you could tell us by whom and how a hypothesis that cannot be proven can be disproven.
                          Tell the truth.... Are you Duncan Trussell? 😄

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X