Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
    ..3 / Modern Life

Facebook comments ( not to me obv ) like "aww your looking gorgous X0X0X. etc etc

Don't do Facebook, I never have and never will, you have the same option so it can't go in.

To be fair on point number 3, I'm not on facebook either. it was while my mate and his wife were showing their bloody holiday snaps

that I unearthed all those nicey nicey puke inducing comments . .

No interest in joining it either. .

Get it in there.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
      Intresting thread Vmax !!

1- snooker

Players who need 12 min to run a break of 12 ( Peter Ebdon ).

That's people Ramon, not the game itself

2- other sports

Golf

Mark Twain said "golf is a good walk spoiled" tend to agree, so it's in.

3- Modern life

Modern people

A bit more specific please

4- Tech

NASA

NASA!! sorry Ramon, love space exploration, the final frontier and all that.

5-people

Modern people

6- Transport

FedEx - TNT - Royal mail

So delivery services aren't your bag then. I've found that if I talk to the delivery person I can get the service I require, the jobsworths on the end of the phones need to go, so they're in.

7- food

Macdnlds

Agreed, cooking for oneself seems to be a lost art despite all the cookery programmes on tv. Seems to me that the fatties watch these programmes and then pick up the phone and order a pizza, so fast food is in.

8- Music

Rap

Nuff said, if they think that they're poets then write a bloody book and send it to Faber and Faber; can see all the rejections now BTW, rhymes are not poetry you dullards, read some Bryon and Shelley and Baudelaire.

9- TSF

Byrom one of the greatest catastrophes in the history of TSF !!! ( just kidding )

Wild Card

religion ( No matter what kind of ).

"And no religion too" yeah it's in.

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
        1. Snooker: my cue addiction and my girlfriend always complaining that I have way too many cues.

You only need one, yes cue junkies are in.

2. Other sports and games: Golf - I don't like being too far away from the bar

3. Modern life: mobile phone zombies

4. Technology: Alarm clocks

Along with the wheel I suppose hardly technology is it

5. People: I like people, well except for boring, annoying, stupid, angry or rude folk.

Bit of a misanthrope too it seems

6. Transport: public transport when it is 40 degrees and the air-conditioner has decided it is a good time to stop working.

You're lucky to know what 40 degrees feels like; more people should use public transport rather than cloggging up the roads to drive a mile to work or take the kids to school, walk off some of that fat.

7. Food: porridge and eggplant

Porridge with yogurt and blueberries, yummy !! egg plant I've never tried

8. Music: R&B and anything to do with Justin Bieber e.g. http://jezebel.com/how-to-talk-to-yo...ieb-1735300048

R & B is in, Justin Bieber ? well I've never heard a Justin Bieber song, maybe I have and don't know it, the banal seems to pass me by unnoticed, but to be honest it's tame and his fans will grow up and move on, well, some of them.

9. TSF: I keep seeing cues that I want to buy (see point 1).

Already in.

10. Wild card: Yeah, I never really liked it. When you are playing UNO and you are just about to win and then bam they play the WILD CARD.

Wild Card means any other subject mate, not an actual wild card itself.
        Last edited by vmax4steve; 11 October 2015, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
          See above....
          Please edit and take your answers out of my quote tectricky so I can comment individually, some great points there.

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
            To be fair on point number 3, I'm not on facebook either. it was while my mate and his wife were showing their bloody holiday snaps

that I unearthed all those nicey nicey puke inducing comments . .

No interest in joining it either. .

Get it in there.
            Our league secretary has put all the cup draws and individual competitions fixtures on facebook, seems to think that's all that's needed, so yes it's in ok ?

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              Hmmm...you guys are too easy I think. What about politicians - can't stand them. How about banks? CEOs - most are like the politicians and in it for themselves, just like the banks.

I agree with religion comment, too much trouble coming from an imaginary being. I agree with people in supermarkets who stop in the middle of the aisle to have a chat...drives me nuts!

Snooker players who take 5 minutes over each safety shot and as above 12 minutes to run 12 points.

Why can't they design roads that can take the traffic and not encourage accidents?

Taxes. I pay more and more each year and never see anything for my money. I pay more in house taxes than both my wife and I pay in income tax, both federal and provincial (but maybe I shouldn't complain as I think Britain has it worse).
              Come on Terry, 1-10, no generalisations of other peoples opinions, give us that hate.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                Come on Terry, 1-10, no generalisations of other peoples opinions, give us that hate.
                I'm so old I only have a little bit of hate left so I'm reserving that for you and j6 the next time you two get on my case.
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                  I'm so old I only have a little bit of hate left so I'm reserving that for you and j6 the next time you two get on my case.

Less hate as you get older? Are you Benjamin Button? As I get older I have so much hate that I find it hard to put it all in one place and actually do anything about it. Which is, I think, why activism exists primarily in the young. They don't yet fully appreciate how many things there are to be annoyed about. They find one, and they think they've invented imagination. The young could have been my wildcard. Which reminds me, I've de-quoted my entry.

Comment

Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
                    1. Snooker

Dennis Taylor. Davis chucked him a title, to keep interest up in the sport, and he's comfortably the least talented World Champion of my lifetime....but we will never hear the sodding end of it.

Dennis was alright as a player, once his mother died and he realised that snooker was just a game and more terrible things can happen than miss a pot and lose a frame/match, but his commentating is dire, spends more time talking about what the players are wearing, so he's in.

2. Other sports and games

Rugby. An arcane set of rules, such that the only person watching who has an idea why decisions are given, is the referee...and half the time he's making it up. Plus, if you want an excuse to get close to men don't over-compensate. No need to get all muscly and pretend it's a sport. Should have played more soggy biscuit at that public school that you went to, while you had the chance.

There was a time when rugby union was pretty good to watch, some talented players who simply weren't allowed to play football at the school they went to and turned their skill to rugby; I have a dvd of the 1973 Barbarians v The All Blacks and it's great. In recent years though the game has slowly morphed into some half way house between rugby and grid iron, very little skill left in the game now, just two teams of 6 foot five 18 stone muscle bound hulks bashing each other, ruck after ruck after ruck, yawn.
                    And you're right, if you want to get close to another man it's the 21st century and many of us understand the complexities of human sexuality, so it's allowed. Check out Doug Stanhopes' rant on American Football, bloody brilliant.

3. Modern life

Modern life is brilliant...we live a so much more prosperous existence than when I was a kid. Still, I hate group-think, and weak collective attempts to enforce an irrelevant set of values (facebook campaigns against rude or confrontational behaviour...calling people a bully or racist or sexist, or disablist for just expressing an opinion). Make it a law and prosecute me, or do one with your pathetic "competition is bad, m'key" attitude.

Myself I can't stand all this caring sooooooo much about someone you didn't know, so that you simply have to buy some flowers or light a candle for a total stranger who happened to die. I seriously thought about a mobile florist and candle shop to tour the country visiting sites of accidents, would make a killing So facebook campaigns are in.

4. Technology

I love technology...but there are some really useless examples out there, designed to empty the pockets and heads of the consumer. iphones, stick them in, along with the idiot bores who buy them.

they're in, and if Steve Jobs was still alive he would be straight in with them, my god there's even a film about the man now, when will it end

5. People

Believers in religion, any sort of religion. I can't help that despite all the evidence to the contrary much of your beliefs are clearly nonsense. I certainly don't want it enshrined in law that you can practice your bigoted ideas with impunity. I'll lead the purge, and if there really is a magic man in the sky, I'm sure he'll save you....but I don't fancy your chances. i haven't been struck down by lightening yet.

it's in, all religious texts are metaphors and not to be taken literally.

6. Transport

Nottinghams Trams. Hundreds of millions they've cost, they're slower than the buses, and you can't send them down another route if it turns out they go the wrong way. Useless out of date technology that our local authority are investing in, and we still haven't got a decent modern internet infrastructure. Bonkers.

If the Tram's going the wrong way, you're on the wrong Tram, sorry can't go in.

7. Food

Green salad. What's the point?

You're an omnivore and you need it, otherwise cancer will come calling.

8. Music

Punk. I was of that generation...loved the changing of the times....loved new wave that sprung from it more than anything. Punk 'music' itself? There's barely anything worth listening to.

I was twenty in '77 and thought punk was simply awful, put paid to a lot of really good bands when the music mags and the majors jumped on the bandwagon, emperors new clothes I called it. Once they learnt to play some of them made some good music, like Magazine, but putting out records when you've only been playing guitar for three weeks is just dumb, and I didn't fall for it. Punk is in.

9. TSF

Posts that tell you that you are an idiot, or wrong, but not why, or what is right. A lot of smug people here, who make the place worse than it could be, by not bothering to add anything constructive.

Agreed, constructive criticism is fine, but simple contradiction gets my goat.

10. Wild card

Cheap air fares. I really don't see the point in the entire north East decamping to Magaluf for four weeks in august and turning it into hell on earth, while spending all their hard earned for the entire year on expensive fish and chips in an 'English' pub. Make air travel expensive, and use it as a wealth tax for those people who can afford to go abroad, because they actually want to experience foreign.

Yes, and doing in the planet at the same time, and for what, a sun tan that you can buy in a bottle, cheap air fares are in.

Comment

New hot favourite for room 101.

PANJO showing everything in Dollars. . .

What happens when the exchange rate changes between UK pounds and US Dollars ?

Is the price fixed in Dollars ? or UK pounds ?

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                        New hot favourite for room 101.

PANJO showing everything in Dollars. . .

What happens when the exchange rate changes between UK pounds and US Dollars ?

Is the price fixed in Dollars ? or UK pounds ?
                        Plus one to that - time to scrap it - how do you actually buy anything on there anyway? Try it - you press buy it now fill out the card details and it asks for a Zip code and state although you put uk - without one which no-one in UK has it wont let you proceed and buy.

Comment

Old thread I know but time to write my own list

1. Snooker
                          the miss rule as interpreted today.

The miss rule was always there for blatant cheating and was used purely for that. To me if the cue ball is struck hard enough to reach or go past or leave a pot then it's a fair escape. It's wrong to use the rule to simply rack up misses/points and drag the concentration out of ones opponent.

2. Other sports and games
                          The Paralympics

I find disabled sports both distressing and boring. I hate to see disabled people struggle and I watch sport to be entertained and the paralymics is a turn off, can't watch it.

3. Modern life
                          the social media generation

Yes I'm online now and this site can be construed as social media, but it's something specific that I'm very interested in and nothing to do with my general life. I don't have any friends on this site, I've never met anyone on this site and have no intention of ever doing so. Why? well words on a computer screen can come from anyone, there's no way of knowing through the internet just who anyone really is, but the social media generation can't see it. They think it's all real and it's the way they live their lives, staring at a phone all bloody day long, waiting for that next txt like it's their next fix of dope, and it is.

4. Technology
                          electronic driving/riding aids

Risk compensation theory is real, the safer one feels then the more risks one takes, one doesn't need any help to be a danger to others. If a person can't manage to operate the basic functions of the machine they're driving/riding then they shouldn't be allowed on the road. Anyone found to have caused an accident through careless or dangerous driving/riding should lose their license for life.

5. People
                          millenials care more than previous generations

I saw the state of the Reading Festival site on the news last night, hundreds of tents abandoned along with tons of other rubbish left there for others to clean up, so much for the young caring more about the environment. I went to Reading twice in the 80's, saw some great bands, was stoned most of the time, drank a lot of canned lager and bottled cider, had a great time and on the way out put all my trash in the skips provided and took my tent home with me.
                          Now what everyone else did I don't know, but no one left a tent behind as buying a tent for only a weekend just wasn't an option back then, tents were expensive and one bought one for holidays, festivals etc and looked after them to use them again.
                          I see this outside my window every day as well, there's a field that the locals use to have picnics and parties by the river, where there's a family with children and adults then the rubbish is picked up, but teenagers on their own simply leave it there.

6. Transport
                          electric battery powered vehicles & long journeys

It won't work, they need to be charged and no one is going to pull into a future garage and wait six hours for their vehicle to be ready to continue it's journey for another hundred miles. Now I can see the city runabout being electric battery powered, charged overnight, but the long distance future has to be the hydrogen fuel cell or the hybrid petrol/electric, if not then personal electric battery powered transport will not be used for long distance travel and trains will once again be the the main medium of public travel as they were in the victorian age.
                          New petrol powered vehicles have been banned from 2030 so the petrol/electric hybrid will go, so what does this mean? I see the rise of internet shopping during the pandemic being the precursor to the end of personal physical shopping with everything being delivered by rail and hydrogen powered trucks city to city and electric battery powered vans house to house. The roads and motorways will be much les congested, maybe many will return to nature with long ribbons of trees running through the country where they once were, should be nice.

7. Food
                          humans consuming dead animals

One must understand that evolution is fact and that humans evolved from apes and probably evolved a high intelligence at an accelerated rate due to ingestion of pyschoactive plants by the pregnant females. This is a thesis that cannot be proven but it holds up intellectually. The human body is another matter, but it clearly hasn't evolved to be a carnivore, no sharp claws or killing canine teeth, not a fast enough runner to catch prey or high strength to overcome it and no bacteria in the digestive system to counteract the bacteria in raw flesh. Humans can only eat meat because of their intelligence, the ability to create weapons to kill animals and domesticate them enough so that they walk to their deaths and cook the meat and thus kill the bacteria within it.
                          There are something like fifty cattle to every human being on the planet and each one is belching and farting methane into the atmosphere, a greenhouse gas fifty times more active than carbon dioxide, countless billions of chickens producing excrement that in some states in the US can be diluted with water and spayed into the atmosphere to allegedly disperse it.
                          We all have the personal power to make change by making changes in our diet.

8. Music
                          rap and hip hop

Never in my life have a I heard such rubbish passed off as music, stolen bass lines and drum tracks with someone shouting aggressively over the top of it. If it's true that the young generation need to alienate themselves from their parents then this generation are doing themselves a disservice. The wonderful music that I enjoyed in my youth is being passed over by the corporate setlist of modern radio stations using dj's that know nothing about or have any interest in music.
                          But there is hope, I saw a youtube 'reaction' video of a young black girl listening to Pink Floyd's Echoes a couple of days ago and she was in tears at the end of it wondering what on earth she had just listened to, JayZe eat you heart out pal.

9. TSF
                          what tip, what ferrule, what cue do I need?

Whatever works for you mate, I need to start disregarding these threads.

10. Wild Card
                          velcro

give me buttons, poppers and zips but no, nearly all motorcycle gear is now fastened with velcro and everything sticks to everything else including my motorcycle cover which is a bitch to put on due to its velcro fastenings sticking to my gloves and jacket
                          Last edited by vmax; 2 September 2021, 01:39 PM.
                          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

pretty much agree with everything you said VMAX, you kind of hit the nail on the head overall , except I love chicken curry ( and a glass or two of wine ) but I don't eat beef . Velcro has some limited uses maybe , for other sports I would add womens boxing and kick boxing ( not too fond of male aggressive sports either , inflicting physical damage to another can't be a fan of that. JCB ( John Charles Bamford ) are developing hydrogen cell diggers and putting a lot of work into it .

Comment

I went to the 2012 Paralympics here when we hosted the games, it was a fantastic day and so heart warming to see these talented people have a real stage on which to showcase their hard work and dedication. For them to have this outlet to compete is so important in our society and its success speaks for itself.

If all you can see is disabled people struggling when you watch it you've completely missed the point.
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by balkend View Post
                                pretty much agree with everything you said VMAX, you kind of hit the nail on the head overall , except I love chicken curry ( and a glass or two of wine ) but I don't eat beef . Velcro has some limited uses maybe , for other sports I would add womens boxing and kick boxing ( not too fond of male aggressive sports either , inflicting physical damage to another can't be a fan of that. JCB ( John Charles Bamford ) are developing hydrogen cell diggers and putting a lot of work into it .
                                Swap chicken for quorn and it's the same.
                                Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                                but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
                                X