RIP Muhammad Ali....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Muhammad Ali....

A true legend, So much more than a boxer..

The likes of We'll never see again.

RIP Muhammad Ali...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lk3fAYpSVfk

A true great, as a sportsman , political figure and humanitarian.
    Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee
    The hands can't hit what the eyes don't see.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Civil rights campaigner, war objector, fighter, sportsman of the century. Certainly the greatest ever. Not the best, that was Sugar but Ali transcended a sport to become like Mandela, a global hero. Bowie, Prince, Ali; '16 is pretty horrible so far. My heros don't appear on no stamps but they should.

Asked how he would like to be remembered, he once said: "As a man who never sold out his people. But if that's too much, then just a good boxer. I won't even mind if you don't mention how pretty I was."
      Last edited by Cannonball; 4 June 2016, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
        Civil rights campaigner, war objector, fighter, sportsman of the century. Certainly the greatest ever. Not the best, that was Sugar but Ali transcended a sport to become like Mandela, a global hero. Bowie, Prince, Ali; '16 is pretty horrible so far. My heros don't appear on no stamps but they should.

Asked how he would like to be remembered, he once said: "As a man who never sold out his people. But if that's too much, then just a good boxer. I won't even mind if you don't mention how pretty I was."
        Agree he certainly isint the greatest heavyweight ever.

Comment

A great boxer yes, a great man, no, Elijah Mohammed and his black muslim faith put paid to that. I remember Michael Parkinson asking him about some contradictions in his life and he became pretty threatening. Didn't mind white people running his business, had affairs outside of his marriage, typical human being really, as much of a sinner as the next pious man; terrible poet as well, just rhymes really, rapper with gloves on.

Comment

To me he was a great man, you have to remember he grew up in the south which was an apartheid America, where he was good enough to fight and win them a gold medal, but not good enough to be served in a white restaurant, where black people were lynched, couldn't vote , weren't allowed to attend university, this is a great quote from him
            "I am America ,I am the part you won't recognise,but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky,my name not yours, my religion,not yours, my goals, my own, get used to me!"

Comment

He made it possible for folk like Clinton/Obama to be elected. The pacifist movement saved a lot of lives, black and white. Together with other leading figures, he changed the US, not completely but it's still a better place because of him. He ended up a hero to black and white, people who were born at the bottom in struggle, he inspired them. The KKK and racists hated him and if nothing else, that made his life very worthwhile.

Comment

I'm a white middle aged English man and he's the bravest person I've ever had the privilege to watch. Maybe not the best but to me , the greatest without doubt. And my heart hangs heavier today . Rip champ you will live long in my memory thanks for the joy you gave me .

Comment

Without a doubt the greatest of all time imo, another of my childhood heroes gone

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                    A great boxer yes, a great man, no, Elijah Mohammed and his black muslim faith put paid to that. I remember Michael Parkinson asking him about some contradictions in his life and he became pretty threatening. Didn't mind white people running his business, had affairs outside of his marriage, typical human being really, as much of a sinner as the next pious man; terrible poet as well, just rhymes really, rapper with gloves on.
                    yep he bahaviour towards women was not great - I have seen that parky as well! but he was the first truly quick heavyweight.
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                      yep he bahaviour towards women was not great - I have seen that parky as well! but he was the first truly quick heavyweight.
                      Again you have to understand the reasons behind it, you are judging him by our liberal inclusive democratic lifestyle. Most African Americans are religious, which we forced apon them originally, mainly Christian, but these Christains told him he was worse than second class, he was cursed by God, is it any wonder when another religion came along that made him feel included and worthwhile he joined it, he was wired to believe in God, so he may aswell believe in one that liked him.
                      He did later in life say
                      " those that think the same in their fifties as they did in their twenties have wasted thirty years" so I'm guessing he had mellowed a bit, at the time he was young and angry at the way he and others like him were treated in their own country, he knew he had a platform as the heavyweight champ to at least be heard so he used it, and if we had been treated by black men as we treated them ,I think we would have said far worse than what he did.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        Again you have to understand the reasons behind it, you are judging him by our liberal inclusive democratic lifestyle. Most African Americans are religious, which we forced apon them originally, mainly Christian, but these Christains told him he was worse than second class, he was cursed by God, is it any wonder when another religion came along that made him feel included and worthwhile he joined it, he was wired to believe in God, so he may aswell believe in one that liked him.
                        He did later in life say
                        " those that think the same in their fifties as they did in their twenties have wasted thirty years" so I'm guessing he had mellowed a bit, at the time he was young and angry at the way he and others like him were treated in their own country, he knew he had a platform as the heavyweight champ to at least be heard so he used it, and if we had been treated by black men as we treated them ,I think we would have said far worse than what he did.
                        Mellowed.Thats and The Nation Of Islam of the age being prerrt much torn apart with the members realising that it had nothing in common with any other form of Islam apart from the odd name.
                        Was he a great human being.Not by a long shot.Was he a great sportsman and probably one of the most entertaining fighters who ever lived.Most definately.Sadly we are getting fewer such characters in any sport and as such he will be most sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
                        X