Scared of flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared of flying

I have got to admit everytime I step into a plane I'm concerned about my life. I grew up flying remote controlled planes, an interest in falconry, worked at the BBMF squadron in Coningsby, everything looked destined that I'd be a pilot with loving everything that flew but I am scared of flying. Surely there's a lot of us out there, the crash in Pakistan and the Brazilian football team has increased those fears

The same mate , hate flying but i do it once every couple of years to keep the Mrs happy .

I think the issue is that even though they say it is the safest form of travel , if there is a crash there aren't a lot of survivors .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

That's how I feel, I'll do it for a holiday but the worst scenario is always on the back of my mind. I feel powerless on a plane, my life is at the hands of the pilot and the blokes that built it. I don't like the thought that I have zero control of survival if things go messy. When I went up in a glider my stomach was upside down the whole time, terrifying.

Comment

There is no way you would get me in a glider or a hot air balloon !
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I used to be the same (first time I went on a plane I was 13 as I was sh!t scared) however in recent years its changed. I now work for the largest aircraft manufacturer and I know the work that goes into these from design and manufacture. I have complete confidence in them and I now enjoy flying, probably get on a plane at least once a month these days.

Comment

I'd trust a balloon more than the glider I went up in, looking at those thin wings wondering how the hell they were keeping me aloft when watching the ground below we were moving at a sedate pace, walking pace would be too fast, hardly any movement at all like we were stuck in zero gravity. And those thin wings to keep us there! I guess it says a lot about how far technology has come, once flight was impossible, now it is very easy with aerofoils and rocket tech. Doesn't make me feel any more at rest though.

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
              I used to be the same (first time I went on a plane I was 13 as I was sh!t scared) however in recent years its changed. I now work for the largest aircraft manufacturer and I know the work that goes into these from design and manufacture. I have complete confidence in them and I now enjoy flying, probably get on a plane at least once a month these days.

Airbus by any chance?

Comment

Originally Posted by VillaGuy View Post
                Airbus by any chance?
                couldn't possibly say

Comment

I used to hold a PPL. Living on an island you wouldn't have enjoyed sitting in 4 seater single engine at 1000ft over water!

Comment

Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
                    I used to hold a PPL. Living on an island you wouldn't have enjoyed sitting in 4 seater single engine at 1000ft over water!
                    I'd take the boat

Comment

I am not afraid of flying just crashing....

True story - was booked to go on a stag weekend once with the lads to Amsterdam and it was Friday the 13th - I am quite superstitious we were in the lounge bar and watching a film - which was this

Comment

Nice film clip
                        I love flying, my very first flight was as rough as you get with headwinds etc, i thought that's how it was so didn't bother me at all

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                          I am not afraid of flying just crashing....

True story - was booked to go on a stag weekend once with the lads to Amsterdam and it was Friday the 13th - I am quite superstitious we were in the lounge bar and watching a film - which was this
                          And you drive?!

Comment

yeah badly too

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                              yeah badly too
                              I'll take my chances on the plane and swerve your taxi. :biggrin-new:

Comment

Working...
                              X