attempted scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attempted scam

I'm selling a motorbike on the MCN website and got an email from someone willing to pay full asking price without coming to take a look, great thinks I, only they can't seem to get their payment through to paypal because of my bt email address and they ask me to create a gmail address.
    I have a gmail address I don't really use and have notified bt that I'm leaving them for TalkTalk and they are playing silly buggers with my internet and email at the moment, having to re-start my pc all the time, so I thought that maybe the cause, so I linked my gmail address to my paypal account and the payment went through, but not quite.

I get what looks like an official email from paypal saying that 600 quid has been added to the payment for shipping abroad and because of their Merchandise policy I must pay the shipping company this 600 quid by a cash money transfer before the money can be paid into my paypal account, meanwhile they will hold the payment that has been taken from the buyers account and that the transaction cannot be reversed, meaning the buyer cannot get their money back.
    The shipping company btw is simply John Bowen in Ireland

Now I've used paypal hundreds of times and know this is complete bollox, and I'm getting emails from the alledged buyer pleading for the payment to be made asap, tell them to **** off and now it's emails telling me that they're going to take legal proceedings against me.

I've forwarded all emails to paypal and they thanked me for informing them of this, just letting you all know in case this happens to anyone selling cues.

Lol, but anyone who falls for that deserves it !
    Just delete all emails and ignore further ones

Comment

Sounds very much like the time I had a cue for sale on Ebay...I put my email address on the listing and got some twat mail me to say would have the cue and would send a courier to pick it up... I then got a fake paypal email saying I had received the money but needed to send £500 odd to release it first..I told the guy I knew it was a con and to F off!..cheeky basket then had the nerve to call me a thief as I had his money and he was disappointed in me...he then tried to be nice and asked if I would I pay the money lol

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
        have notified bt that I'm leaving them for TalkTalk
        Unless you're already committed to TalkTalk, for God's sake go somewhere else - they are the least competent ISP in the known universe - a bargain-basement service from a bargain-basement ISP. Consider Sky, Zen, Vodafone, ANYONE but TalkTalk. Please!

Also, having to restart your pc regularly(I presume because you're losing connection) is possibly going to be a faulty router but otherwise will be unrelated to your ISP - their involvement only goes as far as the router, which dishes out the addresses and grans access to the web etc.
        Last edited by gavpowell; 23 July 2017, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
          Unless you're already committed to TalkTalk, for God's sake go somewhere else - they are the least competent ISP in the known universe - a bargain-basement service from a bargain-basement ISP. Consider Sky, Zen, Vodafone, ANYONE but TalkTalk. Please!

Also, having to restart your pc regularly(I presume because you're losing connection) is possibly going to be a faulty router but otherwise will be unrelated to your ISP - their involvement only goes as far as the router, which dishes out the addresses and grans access to the web etc.
          It's a BT hub so I believe they're mucking around with it as the connection for the past two years has been perfect, then as soon as they find out I'm moving this happens. On start up I have no pop for email and the internet isn't available either, can only cure this by re-starting two or three times, also my internet connection to my tv is also suffering, try to get iplayer or youtube and get a message that there's no internet connection available even though my pc is on and I'm accessing the internet on that OK.

Comment

Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post

I use talk talk (previously known as Tiscali) and never ever had a problem ? What's supposed to be wrong with them then ?

Comment

It's a BT hub so I believe they're mucking around with it as the connection for the past two years has been perfect, then as soon as they find out I'm moving this happens. On start up I have no pop for email and the internet isn't available either, can only cure this by re-starting two or three times, also my internet connection to my tv is also suffering, try to get iplayer or youtube and get a message that there's no internet connection available even though my pc is on and I'm accessing the internet on that OK.
              it may not even be the ISP but Microsoft, various updates to Windows 10 have caused me problems with the LAN module not being recognised and I would have no connection to anything. I got MS to come back to me and I was able to roll back and gain access. MS knew they made a mistake as the update caused major issues with many components, including some makes/models of LAN module. They have reverted most of the affecting update scripts and I am now all ok
              Never had TalkTalk myself but a friend had and she was disgusted with their service and customer care and vehemently tells anyone who will listen to her woos she had with them from day one till she left them - with compensation - that is the only time she smiles during her story
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I had something similar a few years ago .

I was selling my wife's car on autotrader . I got a txt from a guy saying he would take it for full asking price . He said he would pay me through PayPal and he would have somebody come pick it up .

It didn't sound too legit so did some research ......basically the scam is they pay you through PayPal when the person picking it up is only 5 mins away .

You check your PayPal account and see the money is there . Guy drives the car away and the buyer contacts PayPal to say his account as been hacked . PayPal holds the funds as the claim of theft happened immediately .

Eventually PayPal sides with the buyer an drew refunds the cash .

Heard this happen on eBay a lot too

Comment

Funny enough we are with BT and the connection has been dodgy lately , I'm not bothered what they say, they definitely turn the wick down during busy periods. As for routers , it's good to reboot them every so often, I do mine once a week . We run home plugs and it's good for them to be rebooted every so often as well otherwise the picture on the telly goes wonky.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

For better for worse in sickness and in health till death do u part...

I was scammed after hearing this I think.

Comment

its easier to write a list of what is right with talk talk....

1. nothing

by far the wors ISP i ever had the misfortune to be with, ever, in fact the wors company have ever had to deal with, and have dealt with ryanair in the past!

Comment

What problems are people having with talk talk ?
                        Maybe I'm just lucky then

Comment

Originally Posted by MinnesotaSlim85 View Post
                          Sounds very much like the time I had a cue for sale on Ebay...I put my email address on the listing and got some twat mail me to say would have the cue and would send a courier to pick it up... I then got a fake paypal email saying I had received the money but needed to send £500 odd to release it first..I told the guy I knew it was a con and to F off!..cheeky basket then had the nerve to call me a thief as I had his money and he was disappointed in me...he then tried to be nice and asked if I would I pay the money lol
                          Sounds familiar ! I've had nothing but agg' on ebay recently. Grief aint the word! Some right slippery sods, will try anything !

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
                            its easier to write a list of what is right with talk talk....

1. nothing

by far the wors ISP i ever had the misfortune to be with, ever, in fact the wors company have ever had to deal with, and have dealt with ryanair in the past!
                            Makes you wonder why all their customers haven't left them and they've gone bankrupt. I'll see how it goes, received their brand new hub yesterday, all looks good and BT is still mucking around with the line, have three days left on that contract, petty spitefull little baskets that they are.

Comment

Makes you wonder why all their customers haven't left them and they've gone bankrupt. I'll see how it goes, received their brand new hub yesterday, all looks good and BT is still mucking around with the line, have three days left on that contract, petty spitefull little baskets that they are.
                              when i was with them the line would go down every 2 hours without fail interrupting downloads
                              when we cancelled with them, they still charged us, sending court letters even though we had proof of cancellation
                              they wouldnt actively cancel the line so we technically got free broadband off them while waiting for it to switch over to virgin at the time!
                              the call centres cant go off anything other than scripted replies.
                              speed would drop to dial up proportions for no reason....

Comment

Working...
                              X