Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corona Virus

The china open has already been cancelled so what impact will the corona virus outbreak have on the world championships this year ?
    Did the UK government do the right thing in flying back to the UK the brits who decided to live and work in china ?
    If there is an epidemic in the UK will the polish government do the same for their citizens who are living and working in the UK ? around 1.5 million of them so whole squadrons of airliners will have to be charted.
    Are you particularly scared either for yourself or a loved one, my mum is 82 and could be at risk, although she doesn't go anywhere and just watches Eastenders all bloody day we could slip pizza's through her letterbox to keep her going for a couple of weeks
    Why do people panic and bulk buy toilet rolls ?
    Is Boris Johnson doing enough ? is leadership needed in such a situation or should we all think for ourselves ? I went to work on friday morning and the toilets were in their usual state, filthy sinks, urine on the floors and toilet paper scattered everywhere but the management had put a small bottle of hand sanitizer in there so they'd done their bit
    Last edited by vmax; 10 March 2020, 05:03 PM.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

It's just a case of bad flu ………..panic buying is silly . A guy I know is a Manager of a large Supermarket and he is saying that the shop is 35% up on Christmas takings …….the busiest time of the year !
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

not very concerned for myself or immediate family
      CovID-19 (official name for this virus, where corona-virus is the name of a family which has many viruses) is not that virulent and not that deadly - Flu is more so. But we don't get daily reports on the infection and deaths of that do we?
      Take general and common-sense precautions and personal hygiene and the risks are greatly reduced.

Toilet Roll panic buying - I believe this came from the rumour that the inside cardboard tubes are made in China (where the paper tissue is made locally) and people, worried about this, nothing to do with the virus' symptoms themselves.

Panic buying is purely down to false and blown-out-of-all-proportion media reporting with poor use of tone of voice and choice of words, to greatly mislead the public as well as malicious and ill-informed repetition on social media.

My sister has just had massive surgery for a tumour and she is not that worried; but then she is very sensible

I have noticed a few names have dropped out of Gibraltar, not saying specifically because of CovID-19, just saying.
      World Snooker Championship - hopefully by then all will be sorted, but maybe the common-sense thing to do plan for playing behind closed doors and we all watch on TV

I am sure WPBSA and WS and sponsors are all having discussions on this and we may hear something soon,
      I went to Cardiff and am fine [apart from admitting going to Cardiff that is ]
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Over here we are past the point of not panicking, given the increasing the numbers of people infected and the current situation in northern Italy. The policy of banning audience in sporting events, especially indoor ones, is being adopted all across Europe, so at this point I would be surprised if the snooker World Championship was exempt from this.

Comment

Over the next 8 weeks I think it's going to get mental over here, % wise albeit old and people with underlying illnesses a lot more die from it than flu, the figures I seen were
          0.01% flu
          4% Corona virus
          I don't get why people are panic buying bog roll but I'm glad they're leaving the tinned food.
          Apparently Trump has come into contact with someone who has contracted......
          It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            not very concerned for myself or immediate family
            CovID-19 (official name for this virus, where corona-virus is the name of a family which has many viruses) is not that virulent and not that deadly - Flu is more so. But we don't get daily reports on the infection and deaths of that do we?
            Take general and common-sense precautions and personal hygiene and the risks are greatly reduced.

Toilet Roll panic buying - I believe this came from the rumour that the inside cardboard tubes are made in China (where the paper tissue is made locally) and people, worried about this, nothing to do with the virus' symptoms themselves.

Panic buying is purely down to false and blown-out-of-all-proportion media reporting with poor use of tone of voice and choice of words, to greatly mislead the public as well as malicious and ill-informed repetition on social media.

My sister has just had massive surgery for a tumour and she is not that worried; but then she is very sensible

I have noticed a few names have dropped out of Gibraltar, not saying specifically because of CovID-19, just saying.
            World Snooker Championship - hopefully by then all will be sorted, but maybe the common-sense thing to do plan for playing behind closed doors and we all watch on TV

I am sure WPBSA and WS and sponsors are all having discussions on this and we may hear something soon,
            I went to Cardiff and am fine [apart from admitting going to Cardiff that is ]
            Very Very well put Dean.
            Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              It's about everybody else though isn't it Dean, I shower everyday and wash my hands every time I go to the bog but in my work place I'm in a minority and as soon as I touch the door handle on the bog door on the way out my hand washing goes out the window.
              I've already had the winter cold and now I've got a bit of a sore throat, no higher temperature so it could be nothing but it could be more serious so off to the co-op to buy some bog rolls
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

How many bog rolls do you need to self isolate for 7 days lol? I’m off to get myself a 3 litre box of red wine and some bottles of beer. Should see me through the Gibraltar Open.

Comment

If its that bad ………..bog rolls are no good …….it will be flowing out ………..a hand stand in the shower would be better
                  Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I sold a cue to a Hospital Manager and he said they are run ragged making plans for something they are really going to struggle to handle. He said he wasn't joking and it is going to get really bad really quickly and services will more than struggle to keep up.

He seemed really worried and so did his partner so it made me sit up and tale notice. I guess when the powers to be say you can panic now, it'll be too late for toilet roll!!

Obviously we're not geared up for this and as we haven't been through it I guess some will be geared up for a zombie Apocalypse and others will still be booking their Rome holiday.

Hopefully it won't be that bad but even if it's not I'm sure it will hugely affect many struggling businesses at the least.
                    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

purely by the nature of viruses and human behaviour, it will get worse before it gets better

I got a text on both my phones (work&personal) last night from work that our office will be closed till at least Monday for deep cleaning as someone had contracted the virus and everyone work from home.
                      I generally work from home anyway so no issue for me.
                      We are an international company so I was waiting for someone to get it from somewhere, whether from travelling or from normal transmission (cough/touch).
                      If everyone takes the precautions then we can keep this managed.
                      Self-isolate if you have dry cough and/or high temperature and/or shortness of breath go to NHS corona virus online questionnaire, DO NOT go to the GP.
                      Wash your hands with traditional soap and/or at least 60% alcohol sanitiser.
                      And wash your hands well, they say 20seconds, Happy Birthday single chorus, but ensure you wash all sides, between fingers, all way to the wrist and then wash off and dry. Many think the wash off is part of the 20, it is not
                      This is general good advice anyway and I have been doing this for many years (since op).
                      Use paper towels, not a rolling-towel or multiple use towel.
                      Use alcohol wipes on your mobile phone, keyboard if you use a lot, on your tv remote.
                      Do not touch your face, mouth/nose/eyes are direct channels to the respiratory system.
                      Do not lick your finger to turn a page! ((like that video I saw and they were taking about "how to not touch your face"! )
                      Do not touch others, Namaste!
                      Do not panic buy - this WILL hit vulnerable people directly, where they may get the virus.
                      It is not insulting or being rude, common sense and sensible at this time
                      If you want fun, do the elbow or the foot!
                      Wash your hands again
                      be sensible, be safe, HOPE everyone else does as well and this will fizzle down
                      :snooker:
                      Last edited by DeanH; 12 March 2020, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Sound advice Dean. What's dangerous about this virus is a person who is infected may not show any symptoms and carrying on as normal whilst unknowly infecting others.

Comment

I do have a running nose/shortness of breath and dry cough but it's not corona, bronchitis.

Comment

yep, you are right, just like another corona-virus, Chicken-Pox, you are infectious before the symptoms show up.
                            The incubation is anything from a few days to (recorded) 11days - hence isolate for 14 days to be sure.

Let us remember that if you do catch it, most people will just feel a bit down (cold/flu like) and often get better in about a week.
                            Children do get it but are less affected by it but of course they can pass it on.
                            Pregnant women are not at any greater risk.
                            It is the ~2% of the population with underlying medical conditions and the old and infirm that have a greater factor of risk, even then it is not from the Covid-19 itself but secondary infections and complications brought on by compromised defences.

The oldest person to survive so far is 103.

Remember this is NOT "the plaque" just because you get it is not certain you are not going to die!
                            The problem is the high rate of transmission to those that do have a higher risk factor and so it is up to everyone to behave responsibly to help reduce transmission. [this is the dangerous aspect of what is occurring by a minority.]

Comment

If you sing COVID 19 along to the tune of "Come on Eileen" is seems a lot less scary!

Just injecting a little humour for those who worry a lot.
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                              X