How i play snooker - Joe Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How i play snooker - Joe Davis

Since Ronnie mentioned this book prices for this old book have gone up extremely, so since i can't afford to get a copy at those prices i wonder if anyone has done the effort of scanning it and make a pdf version of it?

Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
    Since Ronnie mentioned this book prices for this old book have gone up extremely, so since i can't afford to get a copy at those prices i wonder if anyone has done the effort of scanning it and make a pdf version of it?
    You can buy this old book on Ebay that has around 20 pages from Joe Davis on the fundamentals of snooker which I believe is taken from his book, including original black and white photos of the man himself showing the stance and bridge etc. A great little book with chapters from Clive Everton and Ray Reardon. A steal at ?3...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pot-Black...kAAOSwfN1fWkrp
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I’ve never been a big fan of Joe Davis’ coaching methods. He was a bit inflexible imo. It was a case of do it his way or not at all. Much prefer Frank Callen’s approach who preached that everyone’s body was different so how they played snooker could be different.
      The example that I’ve always remembered is regarding the bridge arm. Joe taught that this had to be straight whilst Frank maintained that it could be slightly bent if it was more comfortable.
      Suppose it’s difficult to argue with Joe given that he was a multi, multi, multi World Champion. Have to question what the opposition was like in those days though.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
        I’ve never been a big fan of Joe Davis’ coaching methods. He was a bit inflexible imo. It was a case of do it his way or not at all. Much prefer Frank Callen’s approach who preached that everyone’s body was different so how they played snooker could be different.
        The example that I’ve always remembered is regarding the bridge arm. Joe taught that this had to be straight whilst Frank maintained that it could be slightly bent if it was more comfortable.
        Suppose it’s difficult to argue with Joe given that he was a multi, multi, multi World Champion. Have to question what the opposition was like in those days though.
        It's got to be a lot easier to be world champ, when you get to hand pick who you play.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Well he was a great snooker player ,fortunately forJoe Davis in his era hardly anyone else played snooker

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

You can buy this old book on Ebay that has around 20 pages from Joe Davis on the fundamentals of snooker which I believe is taken from his book, including original black and white photos of the man himself showing the stance and bridge etc. A great little book with chapters from Clive Everton and Ray Reardon. A steal at ?3...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pot-Black...kAAOSwfN1fWkrp
            Thanks for that, unfortunately this seller only ships inside uk, i'll see if i can find another that ships to my country.

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
              Well he was a great snooker player ,fortunately forJoe Davis in his era hardly anyone else played snooker
              Joe Davis was on another level compared to other players in his days. He was so far ahead according to his brother Fred, he deliberately allowed his opponents to come close to make the match entertaining otherwise it would have been a whitewash all the time and killed the sport. The side effect of managing the scoreline allowed match fixing which is as old as the sport itself.

Had there been better players around, imagine Steve Davis or Stephen Hendry was playing in the 1930s, I believe it would have spurred Joe Davis to be an even better player than he was. You can only improve if your opponent was really good.
              Last edited by Crucible; 17 January 2023, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I bought both Joe Davis HOW I PLAY SNOOKER (aka HOW EVERYONE MUST PLAY SNOOKER) and Frank Callan's SNOOKER CLINIC last year off eBay - they're both essential reading, but of the two I would go for Callan, which is just a bit more flexible about 'what feels right for you'. It's also much better on dominant eye and sighting, which Davis was a bit oblivious to.

Comment

Originally Posted by SnookerfromtheThatcherEra View Post
                  ... on dominant eye and sighting, which Davis was a bit oblivious to.
                  Strange, as I believe he had an eye injury in his right eye so used his left more; did he not delve into it as he knew most people would not have the issue he had, or some other reason?
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Haven't got it in front me of, but from memory he barely mentions it at all - whereas Callan has quite a useful chapter on it, with photos of Virgo/Griffiths/Davis etc with the cue under the left eye, chin, and right eye, accordingly.

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                      Billiards was the game back in the 20's/30's and the problem was Walter Lindrum who held the world title and no one could wrest it from him. Joe went to australia, self funded, and tried but lost heavily and it took him twelve months of exhibitions to earn his passage home to blighty. Several others had a go and suffered the same fate, so snooker became the #1 game for many after that and Joe was the best of them.

As for Frank Callan, well, he coached Hendry after he stopped winning, forced a long rear pause and a contrived follow through into his game and it simply didn't work for him although it did for Doug Mountjoy who had an indian summer in the early 80's after he sought Callan's help.
                      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
                      X