let me tell you about my good friend alex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• let me tell you about my good friend alex

has anyone read this new book by john virgo? thoughts?

I have only just started reading it. Will give my thoughts on the book after I have read it. No doubt some of the stories I will have already heard, but there maybe a few that I won't have..
    "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Well i finished reading this book only last night, and overall i found it a very enjoyable read. Virgo certainly (pulls no punches) about his hero and great friend. At times reading through Virgo's book, you get a real sense of how at times Alex had this uncanny ability to get everyone's back up when he felt like it. Still that's what partly made the man who he was don't you agree??

Some of the stories from the book i have heard before, but some i hadn't. There were some stories that i found quite bizzarre and at the same entertaining. There are a couple that spring to mind, like the time when Alex, Willie Thorne and John Virgo visited Canada, and Alex owed Thorne $80, and instead of paying him cash won him a teddy bear at a fairground. But the fiasco that ensued on the plane journey home is what really shocked me!

Another interesting story was of the time when Virgo and a group of others put their money on Alex to beat Patsy Fagan in a challenge match, which incidentally Alex lost.

I dont really want to go into too much detail, as i do not want to spoil it for others who are intending in reading this book.

One thing that did disappoint me slightly was that the book was less than 250 pages long, which seemed a little short as i am sure Virgo had many other stories to tell. But as i pointed out earlier, i very much enjoyed reading this book and could easily read it again.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who has even (a passing interest) in the great man, as well as those who are like me who are "true Alex fans".
      Last edited by spike; 24 January 2011, 02:48 PM.

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I wouldn't Mind a Read......If this Book is available to be Lent!

Where did you get it from m8 Bookshop or Internet?

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
          I wouldn't Mind a Read......If this Book is available to be Lent!

Where did you get it from m8 Bookshop or Internet?
          I purchased it through Amazon..

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Anyone else read or planning to read this book??

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
              Ordered a copy (Amazon) - should be here next week.
              Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

Hope you enjoy it. Would be interesting to know what you think of it..

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Have it ordered on Play.com - should hopefully get it next week. Looking forward to it - I'll give you the verdict once I've read it, Spike
                  'I think the the 1972 World Championship was the coming of the saviour - myself'!! Alex Higgins 1972

Comment

Hope you enjoy it. Would be interesting to know what you think of it..

I beleive i will. will share my pov
                    Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

Originally Posted by Kingscratcher View Post
                      I'll give you the verdict once I've read it, Spike
                      Nice one Kingscratcher..

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

ordered it saturday,along with the '89 Irish masters final dvd.

Comment

Still waiting for this from Play.com - everywhere else seems to have it so not sure what the hold-up is
                          'I think the the 1972 World Championship was the coming of the saviour - myself'!! Alex Higgins 1972

Comment

Originally Posted by Kingscratcher View Post
                            Still waiting for this from Play.com - everywhere else seems to have it so not sure what the hold-up is
                            Has it turned up yet Kingscratcher??

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

No sign yet, Spike. Says it's not in stock now, but I pre-ordered it, so they've obviously made a cock-up somewhere. I think I'll give it another day or so, then just cancel it and get it somewhere else!!

Comment

Working...
                              X