No announcement yet.

let me tell you about my good friend alex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished this book, in two goes in one day. It just shows how mesmerising ths story of Higgins is, that's the most I've read for a while. Even so, whilst being a great player and catalyst for the 80's boom the book really shows what a horrible person he was. I don't think there's one redeeming story in the whole thing and I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did without getting turned over really badly (these days I'd give him no chance!).

One thing about the book is the amount of factual, grammatical and spelling mistakes. It makes the whole enterprise look shoddy and quickly thrown together to capitalise on Higgins' demise. I didn't know a bloke called Ray Williams was chairman of WPBSA! The proof reader at Blake publishing should get a swift boot up the arse IMO.

Altogether a damn good read but it leaves a sour taste in the mouth afterwards.

Mat Wilson

Edited for factual, grammatical and spelling mistakes :-)
    Last edited by fateric; 30 June 2011, 09:50 AM.
    Whoever said "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing" was an arsehole.

Comment

Originally Posted by ryanah147 View Post
      Personally I can't stand the man

There is no point you taking a look at THIS then.

Found another clip featuring Bill Borrows, who was the biographer of 'The Life & Times Of Alex Higgins', that had just recently been uploaded on to youtube. I know it has little or no relevance in relation to John Virgo's book, but an interesting video clip on the great man all the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbiX6MDA0M4
      "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

if anyone is going to the snooker legends event or planning to i picked a copy of the book up there. Afterwards, virgo will personalise it for you and all the others will sign it.

Comment

I've recently just finished read this book, very enjoyable read!!

It's just a shame the proof reader never done there job properly, but never the less I enjoyed reading about all the ups and downs they had together on the road playing tournaments, exhibitions!!
          Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
          Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
            There is no point you taking a look at THIS then.

Found another clip featuring Bill Borrows, who was the biographer of 'The Life & Times Of Alex Higgins', that had just recently been uploaded on to youtube. I know it has little or no relevance in relation to John Virgo's book, but an interesting video clip on the great man all the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbiX6MDA0M4
            This Bill Borrows book is my favorite book-on any snooker player-because it is well written and I think 'objectively' well written. Most other biographies can come across as being sometimes self indulgent -if you get my meaning? but this Bill Borrows book has a wit I found very quite compelling.
            Incidentally Alex Higgins himself thought differently-I asked him once to sign a few copies of his books and other memorbilia I had with me, and as I recall he picked up the Bill Borrows book off me proclaiming: "I'm not signing that @@@@ing ****e!" and threw it across the room then casually sat back down winked at me, smiled and gladly carried on signing the other stuff including his (Eye of the Hurricaine) book.

In the Bill Borrows book there are a few memorable lines that particularly stand out. Like when Bill first met Alex and tried to get him a hotel room, only to find that Alex had been barred from nearly every hotel in Manchester-A feat that he (Bill Borrows) amusingly admired, as I think he wrote something like; ' To do something like this took amazing dedication '.

I think I am going to get another couple of a few snooker books this year. They are serialising much of Willie Thorns book in the Mirror this week so I might not bother I think I will get this book and Dotty's instead...roll on Christmas....good idea to get one at the legends btw.
            Last edited by 1blonde; 17 September 2011, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by 1blonde View Post
              This Bill Borrows book is my favorite book-on any snooker player-because it is well written and I think 'objectively' well written. Most other biographies can come across as being sometimes self indulgent -if you get my meaning? but this Bill Borrows book has a wit I found very quite compelling.
              Incidentally Alex Higgins himself thought differently-I asked him once to sign a few copies of his books and other memorbilia I had with me, and as I recall he picked up the Bill Borrows book off me proclaiming: "I'm not signing that @@@@ing ****e!" and threw it across the room then casually sat back down winked at me, smiled and gladly carried on signing the other stuff including his (Eye of the Hurricaine) book.

In the Bill Borrows book there are a few memorable lines that particularly stand out. Like when Bill first met Alex and tried to get him a hotel room, only to find that Alex had been barred from nearly every hotel in Manchester-A feat that he (Bill Borrows) amusingly admired, as I think he wrote something like; ' To do something like this took amazing dedication '.

I think I am going to get another couple of a few snooker books this year. They are serialising much of Willie Thorns book in the Mirror this week so I might not bother I think I will get this book and Dotty's instead...roll on Christmas....good idea to get one at the legends btw.
              Are you aware there is a new book coming out next month on Alex called 'Who Was Hurricane Higgins?' The author is Tony Francis. I am very much looking to reading this book.
              Last edited by spike; 17 September 2011, 01:56 PM.
              "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Well I will probaby get that too. lol ]

Comment

Francis ghost wrote Alex's first book from the late 80s. Can't imagine for now there will be too much new material. Blake publishing sometimes rush out books that are known as 'cutting jobs' and sometimes the copy editing is really poor.

Comment

Cliff Thorburn wrote in one of his books that he punched out Alex once.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=WVdmn4KEKF8

Comment

Lads finished this the other day its more of a Virgo autobiography which he just mentions he knows alex in dont get me wrong i like virgo but the book is not relly about alex i know more about the backstage of big break then ever now and i half way through from the eye of the hurricane and its brilliant my advise dont read let mme tell you read alexs own book

Comment

Working...
                        X