Who Was Hurricane Higgins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Was Hurricane Higgins

Going by Amazon.co.uk it looks as if this new book on Alex Higgins will be available first in paperback on the 15th September 2011

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hurricane-Hi...5309777&sr=1-3

Hardback edition available on the 13th October 2011

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Who-Hurrican...5310096&sr=1-2

Feel free to give your thoughts and opinions once having read the book. I sure will..
    "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Thanks for this Spike, looks interesting from the description yet another angle on the legend that was Alex Hurricane Higgins.

I shall be reading it.....no surprises there though eh ?

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
      Thanks for this Spike, looks interesting from the description yet another angle on the legend that was Alex Hurricane Higgins.

I shall be reading it.....no surprises there though eh ?
      i think thats a updated version of the mid 80s book Alex through the looking glass so so much to add since 1985/86 when it was writen.

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
        i think thats a updated version of the mid 80s book Alex through the looking glass so so much to add since 1985/86 when it was writen.
        Oh right thats what i wondered if lots of books would be rolled out the same or would they be a different take on him, though because it's about Alex i'll still buy it no doubt.

Alex signed my copy of Alex through the looking glass & the Hurricanes snooker scrapbook, someone then gave him The Hurricane by Bill Borrows and he wouldn't sign it......i knew why but the guy was in shock he couldn't understand it.....lol

Comment

Sounds to me like its a new book as it alks about documenting Alex's life up until his death in Belfast and the quote attibuted to Jimmy White talks about Alex in the past tense. Looking forward to reading it as Francis' effort on 'Alex Through the Looking Glass' was very entertaining.

Also notice that Ken Doherty's autobiography is out soon...
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ken-Doherty-...334802&sr=1-10

...as is Willie Thorne's
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taking-Punt-...334975&sr=1-15
          ...though am wondering if this will simply be a reprint of his 'Double or Quits' book from a few years ago?

Comment

Received my copy today. Looking forward to reading this one after I have finished Willie Thorne's book 'Double Or Quits'.

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I found this to be a riveting read from first page to last. This book gives a (very revealing) insight of the great man. I am sure if Alex was alive today, he would have taken a very dim view of much of what has been said, even though he would have knowm much of it was true. The book itself contains 22 chapters, with over 60 people, who in one way or another were closely associated with 'The Hurricane' throughout his coulorful life. Most of which include many of Alex's closest friends, former managers, ex-wifes, ex-girlfriends and members of his family, such as: Jimmy White, Lauren Higgins, Jordan Higgins, Len Ganley, Howard Kruger, Cecil Mason, Christopher Delahunty (Alex's son), are just some who have taken the time to talk to Tony Francis and share their stories and memories of what it what it was like to be in the company of a legend. It's no secret....at times Alex Higgins could be a total git.

There were certain chapters of this book that i found both engrossing and moving. One that springs to mind is of Lauren Higgins and her sometimes "rocky" relationship between father and daughter. Another is when Ann visited Alex's flat and found her brother in bed with his foot stuck out, with the realisation that Alex was dead. and It was also very interesting to hear what Howard Kruger, Len Ganley, Barry McGuigan and Alex's sisters Ann, Jean and Isobel had to say too.

Unforunately there are many spelling/typing errors throughout. For instance Willie Thorne 'Willy - Kirk Stevens as Kirk 'Stephens' and Barry Hearn as Barry 'Hearne'. However this did not spoil my enjoyement from reading this book.

Overall i would recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Alex Higgins or of Snooker..
              Last edited by spike; 19 October 2011, 01:04 PM.

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

A nice review spike thanks for that.

Just got my copy but sadly time is precious at the moment so don't know when i'll get chance to read it......sounds good though so hopefully i'll get chance soon.

Comment

A shame that bad proof reading can have such an adverse effect. Good book.
                  王可

Comment

Tony Francis and Jimmy White talk to Nicola Stanbridge on Radio's 4 Today Programme..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15381989

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Working...
                    X