X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy White's Snooker Masterclass

'Snooker Masterclass' is a great book!!

I would give it 5 stars!!

"The snooker tips and tactics shared in these pages by Jimmy help the amateur to understand what every professional has had to learn the hard way. Many of the problems and myths of the game are explained, and all coaching points and examples are amplified by the use of over 100 diagrammatic illustrations, presented in a clear, straightforward style."

As far as snooker books go, this is a classic.

It is full of coaching advice and practice routines that can really help the reader improve his/her game.

It also has loads of information on break-building, tactics and safety / snookers.

"We are not going to devote three-quarters of this book to the basics. We call it a Masterclass, and can promise you that we are not here to teach grandmothers to suck eggs."

I think that most players would get a lot out of this book. Well worth a read. Let me know what you think!

Enjoy!!

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

From what I remember it was a decent book, although I did like the Calvin Coolidge quote. However, I certainly wouldn't give it 5 stars. I much preferred Frank Callan's book.

Comment

Originally Posted by circle View Post
      From what I remember it was a decent book, although I did like the Calvin Coolidge quote. However, I certainly wouldn't give it 5 stars. I much preferred Frank Callan's book.
      Is it called 'Frank Callans Snooker Clinic'?

I have not read it. What is so good about it? I know he coached Davis and Hendry.
      My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.

Comment

not written by Jimmy-- it is by Charles Poole.
        I wonder if Frank Callan is still around?

Comment

Just got this delivered yesterday through Amazon seller - £2.80 delivered - used, but VGC...

It's OK - Some good tips and practice routines etc... Definitely for improving players, rather than beginners, as mentioned.

Good price for an addition to the collection, though.

Comment

As far as I know Frank Callan is still around. The essentials of his 'the snooker clinic' can be found here: http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/coaching/...troduction.htm. Just follow the links and you'll get the whole book (allmost) together.
            Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

Originally Posted by miscuehamburg View Post
              As far as I know Frank Callan is still around. The essentials of his 'the snooker clinic' can be found here: http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/coaching/...troduction.htm. Just follow the links and you'll get the whole book (allmost) together.
              Ah thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally Posted by miscuehamburg View Post
                Too late. Already bought one . . . thanks anyway!

Comment

Originally Posted by lbs View Post
                  not written by Jimmy-- it is by Charles Poole.
                  I wonder if Frank Callan is still around?
                  I note that the Frank Callan book is written by John Dee.

Comment

Originally Posted by circle View Post
                    Having read both books, I think Jimmy White's Snooker Masterclass is the better book.

I just got a lot more out of it and the diagrams really helped. Having said that, I did learn some new points from the Snooker Clinic book (e.g. more info on the grip and how to use the rest)

I give Jimmy White's Snooker Masterclass 5 stars and Frank Callan's Snooker Clinic 4 stars.

Just my 5 cents worth.

Comment

Working...
                    X