Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A book recommendation.

Fast Company by Jon Bradshaw.

Quite simply the best book on the subject I have ever read. Bradshaw spent two years on the road with six of the twentieth century's most infamous gamblers.

Poker players, Johnny Moss and Puggy Pearson; Backgammon professional, Tim Holland; pool hustler, Minnesota Fats; tennis player, Bobby Riggs; and legendary gambler, Titanic Thompson.

Beautifully written and available on Amazon from ninety-nine pence.

Thanks for the recommendation, I've just been looking at it on Amazon and it looks like a good read and one I think my dad will love so I'll be getting him a copy. He would never describe himself as a gambler but he's a well known poker player (or was at least) and loves books on poker/betting and good writing and this looks like win win. My favorite gambling book is Super/System by Doyle Brunson which is a monster read and worthy of it's reputation for being the poker bible. Other poker players contributed chapters on the different kinds of poker and I think Johnny Moss has a chapter. Another good one is Mike Caro's Book Of Tells (1984) which is full of colour photos of players at a table and included lot of the big names in Vegas at the time including Johnny Moss. All posing for the camera to demonstrate the tells Caro was writing about

My favourite Snooker book is without doubt Hendry's Masterclass which is unbeatable as an all round book on the game.
    www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally posted by toastandmarmite View Post
      Fast Company by Jon Bradshaw.

Quite simply the best book on the subject I have ever read. Bradshaw spent two years on the road with six of the twentieth century's most infamous gamblers.

Poker players, Johnny Moss and Puggy Pearson; Backgammon professional, Tim Holland; pool hustler, Minnesota Fats; tennis player, Bobby Riggs; and legendary gambler, Titanic Thompson.

Beautifully written and available on Amazon from ninety-nine pence.

Just ordered this off ebay £2.95.
      Hope I enjoy your recommendation!!

Comment

Thank you for your interest, gentlemen. I'm sure you'll enjoy the read.

Comment

bro , can you mail me the book pdf ?

Comment

Thanks for that. My absolute favourite kind of read. Copy on order

Comment

Currently reading Out Of The Blue And Into The Black, the autoboigraphry of the late three time world champion John Spencer. Managed to get a signed copy of ebay, shaky signature due to the illness that eventually ended his life, Myasthenia Gravis.

So far the usual blah blah blah about early family life, started playing snooker at 14, got good and was given the cue he rented at the local club and made his first ton aged 15. You could rent any of the rack cues at the club to stop anyone else using it but it stayed at the club; his was bent and had a nail holding the butt together, he eventually bought it for 8 shillings and used it exclusively until 1977 when it broke beyond repair. Became the best in the area then at age 18 joined the RAF for three years, was demobbed and worked at several jobs and didn't play at all since joining the RAF until he was 29 when an old friend called round to ask him to play in a weekly match between two clubs that his club had lost nine matches in a row. He agreed to play, dusted off his cue, literally, and after a little half hours practise in his lunch break for a week played and beat the best amateur in the area and took up snooker again seriously.

Entered the english amateur and reached the final in '64 beaten by Reardon, lost again in the final in '65 to Patsy Houlihan and won it in '66 beating Marcus Owen.
              Turned pro in the summer of '67 at age 32 the first to do so since 1951, Reardon followed a few months later, they were playing for £50 a week in holiday camps, which goes to show the state of the pro game post Joe Davis.
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

John spencers book Out Of The Blue And Into The Black every book came with Johns signature.

rsz_book.jpg
                Last edited by warren132; 14th January 2018, 10:38 PM.
                Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Originally posted by warren132 View Post
                  John spencers book Out Of The Blue And Into The Black every book came with Johns signature.

[ATTACH]19013[/ATTACH]
                  I bought mine second hand and it too has John's signature

Didn't he have another book in the 1970's called Spencer on Snooker - seem to remember I read it at the library in my work lunch-hours !!!

Comment

Originally posted by tmax View Post
                    I bought mine second hand and it too has John's signature

Didn't he have another book in the 1970's called Spencer on Snooker - seem to remember I read it at the library in my work lunch-hours !!!
                    Yes he did, I've read that one too, more of a how to do it like Reardon's Classic Snooker.
                    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

The Breaks Came My Way - Autobiography of the great Joe Davis. A fascinating look back into a bygone age and a must read for any snooker fan.

Comment

Working...
                      X