• Time
  • Show
Clear All

here's a new one on me

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROBOT-SNOO...item3f41243a71

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
      I want something that just potters around the house all the time

but this for a table, not a snooker table unless it only goes from baulk to black in straight lines,even then ...
      :wink:
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Just spotted this cue on eBay. Unusually for an amateur presentation cue I happen to have some history on this one, which was awarded for a billiards handicap at the Swan Hotel, Stepney. The event had an entry of 78 local amateur players and took place in February 1908. This particular cue was actually the prize given to the runner-up, J. Newman, (not connected with the famous Tom Newman, as far as I know). This is a snippet from the New World of Billiards about the event. It always fascinates me how these things come together ...

Last edited by 100-uper; 3 December 2014, 09:48 AM.

Comment

fantastic info 100-uper
          love the bit "grand bohemian concert... The concert left nothing to be desired."

they new how to enjoy themselves at the turn of the 20th century :biggrin:

the ebay ad date is a tad out though

Comment

Yes, the estimated date of 1940 by the vendor is a bit out, although it looks like an ivory plate on the cue, which should have at least suggested somewhere pre-1914.

The extent of festivities and social gatherings around amateur billiard tournaments of this period could easily be mistaken as the real reason for the matches taking place, rather than having anything to do with the game.

Comment

Any excuse for a billiard/snooker match eh? :wink:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                Any excuse for a billiard/snooker match eh? :wink:
                I suppose at the time, Billiards was the main attraction,. Wasn't snooker just a wee filler played on occassion ?

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                  I suppose at the time, Billiards was the main attraction,. Wasn't snooker just a wee filler played on occassion ?
                  yeah I started playing billiards before I found snooker - how old do I feel

Comment

fake? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-parri...7/331407225244

Comment

• Spotted on eBay

Looks ok to me. Why do you think it's fake???

Comment

• Looks a good parris to me badge is right

Comment

• 667, the neighbour of the beast.

Comment

• yes two ultimate's on e bay look a bit sus

Comment

• Dodgy ultimates floating the market, dodgy hunt & o'byrne's floating the market, this way people are going to want proof of purchase directly from the cuemaker themselves soon.

Comment

• the 667 I have a record of was a red-burr wood front splice, not ebony; also it could be the photo but the badge does not look square to the butt

Comment

Working...
                                X