How not to use a digital caliper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to use a digital caliper.

Best to measure across the diameter , rather than holding the caliper slightly in front of one side.

and try to get the measuring faces parallel to the centerline of the cue/ferrule.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/snooker-cu...3D321818025583

But I can see a gap on the left side of your photo. As tip size is what you're looking for wouldn't it be best to measure just under the tip?
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      But I can see a gap on the left side of your photo. As tip size is what you're looking for wouldn't it be best to measure just under the tip?
      That's why it's titled how NOT to use a digital caliper. Pic is from the linked ebay advert. .

Comment

Missed that. I measure across the diameter from the side but I know the ferrule will get a little smaller as it gets near the tip if there's been a few tip replacements on the cue (usually anyway).
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Is it yours Bill? Interesting to see it up for sale so soon after the recent thread on Tiger Cues.
          "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
            Is it yours Bill? Interesting to see it up for sale so soon after the recent thread on Tiger Cues.
            No sir. I'm an engineer in a Metrology lab, , so would be shot for measuring anything like that. .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Cheap callipers have many errors not just measurement inaccuracies. For fine engineering work Mitutoyo 500 173 is grande for me. Enough for watch making. Lidl and Aldi callipers - avoid!

Comment

Originally Posted by 3000up View Post
                Cheap callipers have many errors not just measurement inaccuracies. For fine engineering work Mitutoyo 500 173 is grande for me. Enough for watch making. Lidl and Aldi callipers - avoid!
                Yes, I like Mitutoyo calipers. I calibrate a few twice a year.

Comment

Working...
                X