X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADR147
    replied
    Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
    I was interested to hear Andy Hunter say that Burroughes & Watts produced a prototype of the Ye Olde Ash cue as early as 1924. I'll have to remember to ask him where he got this information from when I speak with him again. The brand was officially launched in 1930 with the advert below, which mentions wood from "H.M Ships," another reference saying the wood was 50 years old. They continued to retail this cue until the early 1950s, and I was interested to see that the entry in their 1952 catalogue as says the cue offered at that time was also "made from 50-year old Ash" although clearly from a different source as evidenced from the change in colour.

had the same conversation with andy about 20 years ago but at that time they were not so expensive!

Leave a comment:

• 100-uper
    replied
    I was interested to hear Andy Hunter say that Burroughes & Watts produced a prototype of the Ye Olde Ash cue as early as 1924. I'll have to remember to ask him where he got this information from when I speak with him again. The brand was officially launched in 1930 with the advert below, which mentions wood from "H.M Ships," another reference saying the wood was 50 years old. They continued to retail this cue until the early 1950s, and I was interested to see that the entry in their 1952 catalogue as says the cue offered at that time was also "made from 50-year old Ash" although clearly from a different source as evidenced from the change in colour.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
    This is what I know - there are no editions to this cue just a ye old ash full stop.

The term editions came into being by collectors who gave it the term to describe earlier versions of the same cue - This generally would have Newcastle upon Tyne on the badge rather than London although some can have the London badge on probably, depends when this supply of ash dried up.

The earliest form of this cue was made with very old wood that had a reddish colour to it - these are very rare and would fetch a good few thousand no doubt - the second editions would probably be made with a slightly rounded London badge and these are great quality of ash used again though not as red - this is the type I believe Steve Davis used when he won his world titles. Again I seen good versions of these go for around a 1000 - poor ones 400-600. Lots of replicas have diluted the market though so watch out if you are buying and don't know what you are looking at.

When that supply of ash died out they moved on but still made the cue with a squarer looking badge. I have seen some nice versions - if you can call them that but I prefer what would be termed a nice second edition - only because I have never seen a first edition for sale or owned anywhere in the world ever - no doubt a couple of collectors have them - I would not mind having a look if anyone does have one.

That's what I gather anyway - hope this helps
    Trouble is with the burroughes factory burning down no one really knows the true inside and outs about the old ash cue, like most things rumours sometimes get mixed up with true facts where people seem to just hang onto.

Leave a comment:

• perpetualboredom
    replied
    I only know of Gordon, he has more than one but how many in not sure.
    It is a shame he's chosen to make money out of collecting rather than sharing his collection (and research material) with others, but each to their own.

Leave a comment:

• Byrom
    replied
    This is what I know - there are no editions to this cue just a ye old ash full stop.

The term editions came into being by collectors who gave it the term to describe earlier versions of the same cue - This generally would have Newcastle upon Tyne on the badge rather than London although some can have the London badge on probably, depends when this supply of ash dried up.

The earliest form of this cue was made with very old wood that had a reddish colour to it - these are very rare and would fetch a good few thousand no doubt - the second editions would probably be made with a slightly rounded London badge and these are great quality of ash used again though not as red - this is the type I believe Steve Davis used when he won his world titles. Again I seen good versions of these go for around a 1000 - poor ones 400-600. Lots of replicas have diluted the market though so watch out if you are buying and don't know what you are looking at.

When that supply of ash died out they moved on but still made the cue with a squarer looking badge. I have seen some nice versions - if you can call them that but I prefer what would be termed a nice second edition - only because I have never seen a first edition for sale or owned anywhere in the world ever - no doubt a couple of collectors have them - I would not mind having a look if anyone does have one.

That's what I gather anyway - hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    Seems the chap is asking £850 or best off for that, I think he'd be lucky to get £300

Leave a comment:

• mythman69
    replied
    Originally Posted by renzie67 View Post
    See this on ebay anyone got any history on these cues ?

http://www.thecuecollector.com/YeOldeAsh2ndEdition.html

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied
    Pretty famous cue, what do you want to know? ?

Leave a comment:

• renzie67
    started a topic Ye olde ash 2nd edition

Ye olde ash 2nd edition

See this on ebay anyone got any history on these cues ?
Working...
X