Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Parris ferrule

Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice. Does anyone know whether John Parris cues have a ferrule with an internal thread, or the pigeon ring design?

Ideally I'd like to know so that I have the replacement ready before the old one comes off

My model is the classic cue, about 10 years old

There is no internal thread.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Brilliant, thanks!

Comment

ADR147 is correct. There is no internal thread. However, it is not like a pigeon ring ferrule. It has, what I can only describe as internal teeth, like a gear wheel. Not sharp teeth, that would cut into the wood of the tenon, but squared off, flat teeth. They actually use a hammer to gently tap it onto the cue when they install it. If I were you I would never remove it. I would never sand the top of the ferrule when putting on a new tip, because this gradually makes the ferrule and cue shorter and shorter, and this will mean you will need to use the rake more often. I would never sand the sides of the ferrule either just to make it shiny because this will make it thinner and weaker. Never sand the shaft, even with the finest grit paper because it will also get thinner and weaker. Ask John how to care for your cue. I don't know if it requires cue oil or not. Some say this deadens the cue and dries too slow, leaving a sticky mess, and some oils may be carcinogenic. Since you can afford this expensive cue, have your tips and oil (if required) put on by a professional who will not shorten your ferrule. There will be no need for a new ferrule, this way. You can probably ask John Parris to throw in an extra ferrule or two if you want to see the design. Since Parris cues are so popular amongst pros, I would be very reluctant to change his ferrule just because someone claims to have something better. They usually don't.
        Last edited by kramer8; 4 July 2021, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X