Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikee
    replied
    Alex was staying at the hotel I was working at in the late 80’s I was not that old at the time ,he was on the Bandit and drinking quite a bit ,me and my girlfriend were off up the road to watch an exhibition with him and Tony Knowles later that evening .I was asking him about the balls and the tables and that’s when he told me about the supers and how it made him and John Spencer play all these crazy screw and spin shots ,he really was quite amicable that day ,things changed about an hour later though and not for the better ,he was totally drunk in the evening of the match .Another thing he did say was how tv popularity had forced the governing body to make the pockets bigger . Higgins may have been a bit of a drunken idiot most of the time ,but he did say what he thought .

Leave a comment:

• Starsky
    replied
    Originally Posted by mikee View Post

1972 ,Alex Higgins used to carry his own set around doing exhibitions apparently ,because most of the old clubs still used the old balls ,the supers really changed the game .
    Thanks Mikee, thats interesting to know.

Leave a comment:

• mikee
    replied
    Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

On eBay all the time Mikee, used to go for about 10-20 pound a set , I bought a few that were in great nick.
    I have an Old set still ,but there a bit chipped but still play ok ,the Aramith balls sound a bit dull , the supers have a more higher pitched click .

Leave a comment:

• mikee
    replied
    Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
    When were the super crystalates introduced ?
    1972 ,Alex Higgins used to carry his own set around doing exhibitions apparently ,because most of the old clubs still used the old balls ,the supers really changed the game .

Leave a comment:

• Starsky
    replied
    When were the super crystalates introduced ?

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    You can’t get them anymore ,and they weren’t a budget ball
    On eBay all the time Mikee, used to go for about 10-20 pound a set , I bought a few that were in great nick.

Leave a comment:

• mikee
    replied
    Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    Super crystalates are great balls and if on a budget I would much rather buy a set of them than premiers.
    You can’t get them anymore ,and they weren’t a budget ball

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Super crystalates are great balls and if on a budget I would much rather buy a set of them than premiers.

Leave a comment:

• mikee
    replied
    As Vmax says there’s no need for an inferior 125 g ball ,but if tc balls won’t run properly on heavier club cloths without kicking every other shot ,I guess they have to make them . Super crystallites ran on anything ,which is why some think they are better

Leave a comment:

• fkhan
    replied
    Market monopoly I guess that has led to this. There should be more competition in this area like we do for say snooker tables. But, I doubt if quality would take a hit because of that.

Leave a comment:

• mikee
    replied
    No you are right ,it’s just Aramiths way of bleeding more cash out of customers .When it was Super Crystallite all the balls weighed between 1 gram ,think they were all 142g .It’s a myth that the supers weighed more ,they didn’t,it was the old pre 1972 Standard Crystalites that weighed more .

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
    Just curious, why do we need 1g 3g etc? Isn't it possible to make a mould of a particular spec that can then produce balls of identical weights or am I totally wrong?
    The rules stipulate only 3g; but Aramith provide 1g to the pro tour, women's tour, etc.
    Aramith confirmed that it takes longer to get 1g sets collected.
    I am sure they could get weights more consistent but as always it comes down to "money"!
    Also, that would give us all less to talk, moan about

Leave a comment:

• fkhan
    replied
    Just curious, why do we need 1g 3g etc? Isn't it possible to make a mould of a particular spec that can then produce balls of identical weights or am I totally wrong?

Leave a comment:

• fkhan
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    OMG!

In my sets the green is the lightest!

I used to work in an artist paints company and back then White was the heaviest pigment (lead in those days!) and the lightest of all was.... black!
    Green was just the same as all those in between

fkhan - I am so happy for you and the scare is all over!
    Must be fun to work with paints. I find spray painting fascinating.

I sent an email to Aramith about the mystery behind the greens. Will post their reply, if I get one.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post

Thick here too
    test quote post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X