Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Cloth for Snooker Table

Hi Everyone,

I am getting 2 new snooker tables in a few days.Can someone tell me that which is the best table cloth that I should get them fitted with.I have heard a lot about Strachan 6811(32 oz), is that so ?

Links for purchase if any appreciated.

Strachan west of England for club use is the 6811 tournament 32 oz = 12 to 24 months life depending if you stretch half way through life .
    Be aware of 6811 club , this is the lower quality 6811 , these cloths have the names embroidered in the side so look for tournement or club in this , some firms just fit 6811 club if you just specify 6811 . make sure you say tournement .

not so long ago these two cloths where coded Gold and silver 6811 .

an alternative and some ( players in my local club ) say better to play on is the Hainswirth smart .= 12 to 24 months life depending if you stretch half way through life .

For match tables 6 to 12 months only life span , Stracahan no 10 , or alternative at lower cost Hainsworth Match . both of these cloths have very short fine nap .
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Thanks for ur quick reply. Its really helpful. Can somebody tell me the price for these cloths along with the purchase links.

Comment

sorry Yankey 1586 ,I do not supply cloth only , and the people I buy from are trade only , there are a few people on ebay that sells the cloth for £250 including instructions on how to fit it , but I doub't it is 6811 tournament as it just states strachan 6811 , my guess it is club or old stock silver , or even reject 6811 , yes you can get faulty 6811 cloth , but it will have substandard stamped on which is just a iron on transfer that can be scratched off , I've witnessed this when iv'e taken cloths off . and you would be surprised as to who fitted it , I was .
        So watch out for these tactics , I doub't that a fitter will sell you cloth for self fitting because all he will be doing is to deprive a fitter of a living .
        One thing that puzzels me , you say you are getting two NEW tables , surely the cloth should be with them with cushions already covered and nets and leathers etc .

one thing I will point out is the average price for a recover in 6811 tournament is £365 + vat , if you find a self employed Time served Billiards fitter who is not vat registered you will get it done for £365 , surely for £115 more than you can buy from ebay it is worth the skilled fitter to fit the cloth ? Who is setting up the Tables ? if you get this wrong then it will not matter what cloth you fit , the reason i ask is , if it is a fitter than he will have links for the cloth purchase , if not then he will not , so I am guessing you are going to have a stab at assembling and leveling these tables youreself ?

Iv'e just had a look on ebay for you and found genuine 6811 strachan gold tournament cloth pack for £230 plus £13 postage = £243 , again I say is it worth buying this youreself , when you could have it fitted at an all in price of £365 per table .
        but just incase you want to fit it youreself , the item number is 120393358201 .
        they are in Peterborough and my guess is they are Geoff Drinkwater . or a fitter that used to or still is working for them .
        Last edited by Geoff Large; 7 June 2009, 06:03 PM.

Comment

How about this: http://www.bbbilliards.co.uk/category.php?dept=151

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
            ASK IF ITS 6811 (GOLD ) TOURNAMENT AND NOT 6811 ( SILVER ) CLUB , if 6811 club it is too pricey

moglet has pointed out to me that 6811 is actualy 30 oz cloth .

This is infact true , but I will point out it will very from batch to batch , any fitter will tell you they can feel a thickness and wieght differance from batch to batch , and to be correct it is advertised at 30 oz , but I would say I have fitted 6811 gold tournament which is thicker than normal so class it as 32 oz .

To cover them selves for trading standards they will list it at 30z so that they know the cloth will not fall below this weight , but look out for thicker cloth in the same quality from batch to batch , its like in the 1980s when cue makers where told by trading standards to drop the exact weight of cues , such as 16 oz , because due to drying out of cue's it could well be 15 oz at point of sale , they therfore started to stamp just H / M / and L on the cues after this date .

when cloth nap gets shawn to lenth . it only takes a fraction of the blade to be higher on one batch to make it 32oz , differant shifts and employees all have there way of adjusting the machine for final nap height , its not automated robots like FIAT so its not all the same , 30 oz is a guide of minimum weight . but most fitters refer it to 32 oz , its just habbit :snooker:
            Last edited by Geoff Large; 11 June 2009, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X