X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good deal for a beginner?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Six-...4.c0.m14.l1262

thanks

The tip clamp is not needed if you use superglue to affix your tips, it will dry in seconds. The glove is largely agreed not to be needed. Personally I hate that kind of magnetic chalk holder, prefer the ones with a little metal clip that goes on the bottom of your chalk. And the tips can be bought cheaply enough.

So no is my conclusion

I would personally buy from craftsman...
    http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalog/Accessories.html

A leather or magnetic chalk holder (i prefer magnetic)
    You can get 5 Elkmaster tips for 2.50 or whatever brand you prefer
    You could also buy cue towels from craftsman 2.50 each or 3 for 6 pound however a bar towel will work just as well or a flannel or something similar. Have 2 towels, one slightly damp (not wet) one dry, wipe with the damp towel and buff dry imediately with the dry towel. Should keep your cue from becoming sticky.

Then buy some good superglue from a local shop.
    And some fine grade sandpaper or a metal file.
    See Mike Wooldridge's site for a good retipping video.
    Last edited by RGCirencester; 1 September 2009, 09:13 PM.
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

not worth buying that on its own, but i have one of the JX cues and it plays lovely and is rather well made.....

just buy what you need when you need it, my local sports shop has tips in for 65p each or 5 for 2 quid (elkmaster)
      chalk you can get 12 peices for arouns 2.50 for triangle green chalk
      tip clamp - pick up exactly the same elsewhere cheap but as superglue comment above, it isnt needed along with the glove

in fact here is the exact cue i have, cue case kit all in for £80.... (so makes the £12 for just the kit look steep)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JXA2-4pcs-EBON...4.c0.m14.l1262
      Last edited by andy carson; 1 September 2009, 09:26 PM.

Comment

na mate.
        that stuff is crap.
        -steal some tips from your club so u dont need any.
        -forget the cue hanger thing, just keep your cue in a case. the glove is stupid so thats a no no.
        -the clamp you dont need, do it without one.
        -the chalk steal from your club so no need for that.
        -the magnetic chalk holder - i guess id recommend but you will more or less be paying £12 for that as its the only thing worth having so again its a no lol.

Comment

Does it really cost £3.50 to mail such a small package these days and take 3-4 days to arrive? I am so out of touch with UK these days I forget how expensive everything is.
          王可

Comment

ah i didnt realise tips and chalk was so cheap to buy! hah.

Comment

Dont buy too much chalk... Many a person I have met have bought the bumper 144 box of chalk because they were so excited about starting out in snooker... I calculated based on my usage I would have enough for my grandchildren not to have to buy chalk

Luckily I only buy one chalk at a time
              sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                Dont buy too much chalk... Many a person I have met have bought the bumper 144 box of chalk because they were so excited about starting out in snooker... I calculated based on my usage I would have enough for my grandchildren not to have to buy chalk

Luckily I only buy one chalk at a time
                or forget to give it back at the club

Comment

thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

I would agree with what people have said here and that most of the things in that set you don't need, or aren't very good. The chalk holder from that set is probably the worst chalk holder you can buy, it has a little box which you put the chalk in and a little lid to put on top with only a little hole to chalk through. It's a real nightmare those sort of chalk holders, instead, buy the other kind of magnetic chalk holder with a small clip on the bottom for the chalk to clip onto with a leather part which fits on your belt or a leather chalk pouch which I find to be the best. The tip clamp isn't necessary either if you use strong superglue (not that rubbish 'Tip Cement'.

The glove isn't needed. A lot of pool players play with it and I can't see the need for it. I know it can help the cue slide on the bridge easily but if your cue is good and you look after it then you won't need it as the cue won't be sticky.

The cue hanger isn't needed, if you look after your cue then it should stay more or less straight.

The chalks you can buy cheaply enough and if you look after them and chalk your cue properly then they can last a long time. I probably play around 10-15 hours every week and chalk my tip before every shot and my chalk has lasted six months so far and it still hasn't worn out fully yet. The same with tips, you can get those easily and aren't too expensive, except for the Talisman tips!

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
                      I would agree with what people have said here and that most of the things in that set you don't need, or aren't very good. The chalk holder from that set is probably the worst chalk holder you can buy, it has a little box which you put the chalk in and a little lid to put on top with only a little hole to chalk through. It's a real nightmare those sort of chalk holders, instead, buy the other kind of magnetic chalk holder with a small clip on the bottom for the chalk to clip onto with a leather part which fits on your belt or a leather chalk pouch which I find to be the best. The tip clamp isn't necessary either if you use strong superglue (not that rubbish 'Tip Cement'.

The glove isn't needed. A lot of pool players play with it and I can't see the need for it. I know it can help the cue slide on the bridge easily but if your cue is good and you look after it then you won't need it as the cue won't be sticky.

The cue hanger isn't needed, if you look after your cue then it should stay more or less straight.

The chalks you can buy cheaply enough and if you look after them and chalk your cue properly then they can last a long time. I probably play around 10-15 hours every week and chalk my tip before every shot and my chalk has lasted six months so far and it still hasn't worn out fully yet. The same with tips, you can get those easily and aren't too expensive, except for the Talisman tips!
                      bongo, you can use the chalk holder without the lid as i do with mine.... it works ok like that, just the bloody main bit of the holder falls off my belt

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
                        bongo, you can use the chalk holder without the lid as i do with mine.... it works ok like that, just the bloody main bit of the holder falls off my belt
                        I have tried that but I find the chalk falls out of the holder without the lid on. Fortunately, I use a much more convenient chalk pouch.

Comment

Working...
                        X