Ball size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball size

I weighed a set of cheap pool balls that I use. The results are interesting. This bit will make boring reading but persevere. Ball # then weight in grams:
    1: 140.8 (the lightest), 2: 147, 3: 146.4, 4:145.2, 5 145.8, 6:146.3, 7: 148.1 (the heaviest), 8: 141.4, 9: 147, 10: 142.6, 11: 146.1, 12: 145.8, 13:143, 14: 145.2, 15: 146.2, Cue ball 145.5.

So the difference between the smallest and the biggest is 7.3 grams or very nearly a 5.2% difference!

The main thing that this proves is that I have too much time on my hands and should get out more I realise but I do think it is interesting info. I also measured the lighter and heavier balls but there is actually very little difference between them, 1 was 51.7 and the cue ball was the largest at 52.4 so I presume that the differences in weight are due to the density of the material rather than size.

Expect an equally fascinating sequel to this when I weigh my snooker balls.
    王可

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
    I weighed a set of cheap pool balls that I use. The results are interesting. This bit will make boring reading but persevere. Ball # then weight in grams:
    1: 140.8 (the lightest), 2: 147, 3: 146.4, 4:145.2, 5 145.8, 6:146.3, 7: 148.1 (the heaviest), 8: 141.4, 9: 147, 10: 142.6, 11: 146.1, 12: 145.8, 13:143, 14: 145.2, 15: 146.2, Cue ball 145.5.

So the difference between the smallest and the biggest is 7.3 grams or very nearly a 5.2% difference!

The main thing that this proves is that I have too much time on my hands and should get out more I realise but I do think it is interesting info. I also measured the lighter and heavier balls but there is actually very little difference between them, 1 was 51.7 and the cue ball was the largest at 52.4 so I presume that the differences in weight are due to the density of the material rather than size.

Expect an equally fascinating sequel to this when I weigh my snooker balls.
    YAWN... show us the pictures of the fantastic hand made cue!!!

Comment

Can't believe the Yawn reply... obviously s1ivv3r has very little appreciation of the game and doesnt know what those weights mean.

In snooker the balls in a set should have a tollerance of 3g no more! the reason being the throw of the ball is greatly affected by the weight and as such 2 identical shots using different weights of ball will have 2 differing results... not good when you are playing a game!

This tends to be a major issue in snooker centers where balls from different sets often get mixed hence why I always have my own set of balls or use a "match set" provided by the club.

Another reason to use my own set is the club balls are often dirty and as such they give a lot more kicks than my set.
      All smelling pistakes (c) my keyboard, I can spell but it can't type

Comment

It was a joke, kind of an inside joke. If you have read the Kevin Sharland cues thread you will understand.
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by bkpaul View Post
          Can't believe the Yawn reply... obviously s1ivv3r has very little appreciation of the game and doesnt know what those weights mean.

In snooker the balls in a set should have a tollerance of 3g no more! the reason being the throw of the ball is greatly affected by the weight and as such 2 identical shots using different weights of ball will have 2 differing results... not good when you are playing a game!

This tends to be a major issue in snooker centers where balls from different sets often get mixed hence why I always have my own set of balls or use a "match set" provided by the club.

Another reason to use my own set is the club balls are often dirty and as such they give a lot more kicks than my set.
          YAWN... again

Comment

yep. NO time. NO cue pictures. NO time. NO going out. NO time. NO proof of anything. NO time. NO handmade cue feedback. NO time. NO fewwwwking time.

Oh well, I just found a few hours and a scale, let's measure the cheap ball set...

Comment

Originally Posted by Krypton View Post
              yep. NO time. NO cue pictures. NO time. NO going out. NO time. NO proof of anything. NO time. NO handmade cue feedback. NO time. NO fewwwwking time.

Oh well, I just found a few hours and a scale, let's measure the cheap ball set...
              You forgot NO scale.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

So he judged his balls' weight by hand? pfff-rofl

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                  I had thought about ... seeing if they could make balls with a lump of lead or something similar inside the ball so that it would run absolutely crazy... I thought it might be fun.
                  but doesn't that HURT?

Comment

Working...
                  X