Balls !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balls !

Sorry about the name of thread , can i have some help regarding aramith balls please . Firstly where is the best and cheapest place to buy them . Secondly our club has crystalite balls and they do not have as much control as aramith , i have tried in vain to get our club sec to change them ,i have even offered to pay for them myself so can the advantages be presented so i can show my club the benifits .

I would be very greatful to any imput . Thanks

Cheap as anywhere http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...ker_balls.html and about the clubs v balls situation its a problem everywhere.
    Best bet is to try and get your own club to use match balls atleast then you get home games with good balls (I use my own on match night )
    I brought my own in the club on a none match night and got the team lads to enjoy them and now 2 + me use my set of match balls on one of the tables and on the other table crappy light easy screwback thingys lol
    Last edited by MasterBreak147; 30 September 2009, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your reply .

Comment

don't always buy the cheapest - craftsman are good but beware of any cheaper!
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

One of the big advantages of Aramith balls are they last longer, they are also more responsive e.g. when splitting the pack, they are also less prone to damage.

The problem comes if other teams you play away from home haven't got Aramith balls, your home form will be far better than your away form as you will not be used to using the horrible sets.

So from a league point of view maybe you should approach the league and ask them to stipulate Aramith in the rules (if you play in a league that is).

Finally if any club I frequent were given free Aramith balls they would snatch the persons hand off so I can't see why yours doesn't take you up on your generous offer.
          All smelling pistakes (c) my keyboard, I can spell but it can't type

Comment

thanks our club were disgussing the merits of Aramith balls last night . I have one question can it be confirmed on this forum that there is such a thing as a small white , ie a cue ball that over time has shrunk due mostly to its contact with the cue tip/ chalk , and to a lesser extent the other balls .

I think it is caused the same way as stiletto heel stamping down on somebody's foot,which has five tonnes per square inch of force , a sixteen stone man in flat shoes, about a quater of a tonne . so the fact that when the tip strikes the ball , the chalk acts a a conduit ,and they briefly stick together , ie no miscue, and this coupled with the above stiletto effect, over time causes shrinkage . [ i would love to know the psi rate of a cue tip hitting a ball ]. I suppose Aramith shrink less but could my theory and the fact be proved .

[ i know there is still such a thing , the man in the club ! is having none of it , and he is the reason we are still using cra**y balls , oh and [ see previous threads he is the person who over ironed our tables, now they have alternate light and dark patches on both tables running down them , again he convinced the board of directors this was natural ] .ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED OR ANYBODY WITH ARAMITH,S NUMBER .
            Last edited by highbreak 8; 24 October 2009, 10:16 AM.

Comment

i don't think they shrink no. your just crap!

your theory misses the point of course of the ground - the energy and weight of a heel is resisted the cue ball moves.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by highbreak 8 View Post
                thanks our club were disgussing the merits of Aramith balls last night . I have one question can it be confirmed on this forum that there is such a thing as a small white , ie a cue ball that over time has shrunk due mostly to its contact with the cue tip/ chalk , and to a lesser extent the other balls .

I think it is caused the same way as stiletto heel stamping down on somebody's foot,which has five tonnes per square inch of force , a sixteen stone man in flat shoes, about a quater of a tonne . so the fact that when the tip strikes the ball , the chalk acts a a conduit ,and they briefly stick together , ie no miscue, and this coupled with the above stiletto effect, over time causes shrinkage . [ i would love to know the psi rate of a cue tip hitting a ball ]. I suppose Aramith shrink less but could my theory and the fact be proved .

[ i know there is still such a thing , the man in the club ! is having none of it , and he is the reason we are still using cra**y balls , oh and [ see previous threads he is the person who over ironed our tables, now they have alternate light and dark patches on both tables running down them , again he convinced the board of directors this was natural ] .ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED OR ANYBODY WITH ARAMITH,S NUMBER .
                So are you just saying that a lot of force gets concentrated into the tip, and this causes shrinkage due to erosion of the cue ball? I guess that would happen to some extent over a long period of time...
                Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
                  So are you just saying that a lot of force gets concentrated into the tip, and this causes shrinkage due to erosion of the cue ball? I guess that would happen to some extent over a long period of time...
                  But the tip is softer than the ball.. so its the tip that wears away. You can bang a stone againist a lump of cheese as hard as you like, and the stone won't wear away.

Wear on balls is from contact on each other (the white ball is hit every shot other balls are not, so its bound to wear sooner).
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Old cue collector --
                  Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                  (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I've bought balls from Craftsman in the past and I think not only bowls on ebay both great.
                    Like ADR says don't go too cheap I'd stick to the shops on ebay.
                    What we do is have a match set but then donate the old balls if we get a new set.

Comment

Working...
                    X