how do you shape your tips ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you shape your tips ?

ok so how do you guys shape your tips by that i mean wot tools do you use ?

A very sharp stanley knife or scalpel, and a piece of sandpaper.

Comment

Do you use a block for the sand paper ? Or just hold it in your hands

Comment

Originally Posted by xander View Post
        Do you use a block for the sand paper ? Or just hold it in your hands
        Either is just as easy, although I prefer a block....

Comment

I cut the sides down with a stanley knife then i shape the sides and top with sandpaper.

I never use a block as I feel I can get a more accurate dome shape without using one, just start from the middle of the tip and pull the sandpaper down and out towards the edge of the tip to get the dome shape.

Comment

thanks for all your help ill try both with and with out a block see how i get on

Comment

Also try gluing a piece of sandpaper to the inside of a 15mm diameter plastic tube thats cut in half.
              sigpic <---New Website
              Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

thats sounds like a good idea i'll try that

Comment

Just two points people...when you use sandpaper on your tips there's a chance you may leave behind fine bits of glass from the sandpaper in your tip. The second point is, although I know most people do it, turning the cue upside down and trimming off excess tip with a very sharp blade there a chance (especially with layered tip like Talisman) that you will loosen the fibre of the tip.

I use a good metal ******* file and only stroke down on the tip towards the cue to take off the excess, then a much finer metal file to take it down to level with the ferrule, being careful of course not to hit the ferrule with the file.

For the final shaping, I use one of those metal nail files you can get in any department store or chemist that sell nail stuff, like Boots. They have a very fine side and the other is just a touch more coarse, but they do provide a nice shaping tool for doming the tip as they're quite flexible while still being a little rigid. It does take a little more work than sandpaper but the results, at least for me, are much better.

Lastly, I take any scratches out of the ferrule using either very fine emery cloth (600 or higher) or else a new dollar bill (pound note) which works almost as well and doesn't take the ferrule down very much at all.

Terry
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hmmm...I see I got automatically edited on that last post. The file is called a B*A*S*T*A*R*etc file

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

thanks terry

i was reading the tipping guide on this site and it talks about a overhang (mushroom shape) tip does anyone have any photos of wot is ment by this?

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                        Just two points people...when you use sandpaper on your tips there's a chance you may leave behind fine bits of glass from the sandpaper in your tip. The second point is, although I know most people do it, turning the cue upside down and trimming off excess tip with a very sharp blade there a chance (especially with layered tip like Talisman) that you will loosen the fibre of the tip.

I use a good metal ******* file and only stroke down on the tip towards the cue to take off the excess, then a much finer metal file to take it down to level with the ferrule, being careful of course not to hit the ferrule with the file.

For the final shaping, I use one of those metal nail files you can get in any department store or chemist that sell nail stuff, like Boots. They have a very fine side and the other is just a touch more coarse, but they do provide a nice shaping tool for doming the tip as they're quite flexible while still being a little rigid. It does take a little more work than sandpaper but the results, at least for me, are much better.

Lastly, I take any scratches out of the ferrule using either very fine emery cloth (600 or higher) or else a new dollar bill (pound note) which works almost as well and doesn't take the ferrule down very much at all.

Terry
                        Hi, Its not a good idea to use Sandpaper because of the previous advise given. Although a metal file isn't advised either, as it will take you far too long and will probably mark your ferrule. You could however use Wet and Dry paper, as this is very fine and will not leave sand particles in the tip when you shape it. As for trimming, i would always prefer to use a Stanley as its by far the best method. (when used correctly). :snooker: :snooker: :snooker:
                        Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                        https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Yeah I use wet and dry paper for the sanding as this doesn't leave any particles behind.

Also when trimming the tips sides so they're flush with the ferrule, I always turn the cue upside down so the tip is pressing down into a wooden cutting block, I make sure the stanley knife blade is sharp and whilst cutting the sides I make sure i'm pressing down on the cue, this way I've never experienced problems with layers or fibres coming loose.

As for a mushroom tip, it's just a fitted tip with no or little excess cut away, so the sides of the tip aren't flush with the sides of the ferrule.

Have a look at ADR147's tip guide on this forum, or the Mike Wooldridge one on his site and you won't go far wrong.

I think this thread proves lots of people fit new tips in slightly different ways, just experiment and when you're happy with the results, stick to which ever way suits you.

Comment

yer i think your right ill just take note to wot everyone has told me and find wot works for me best

Comment

Using a scalpel is a better way to cut as the blade is sharper and thinner. But beware that your not too aggressive as ive had them ping everywhere and a 1 inch long scar of what happens when you slip. If you look for Swan 10a blades they are best. 10's have a curved end and are only good for surgery, 11's are simply too slim and the blade will snap. You can get them at any good stationery place.

Also try 3M 220 grit paper. Its what i use and its dam good stuff and wont break up on your tip. Pricey mind.
                              sigpic <---New Website
                              Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X