Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best way of cleaning Aramith balls??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like I said my set are over 6 years old I would never use a dishwasher on a new set.

Comment

Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
      I would also say that you really need to polish them too. Just hot water and a dry should leave them clean, but you can have a squeaky clean surface that's not silky smooth and can cause friction and therefore, kicks. Hence the aramith polish.

Take a car for example. You wash it thoroughly and it is spotless, yet the rain lands on it and all clumps together, yet after a polish, the rain sits in fine beads of water droplets. This is caused by the polish creating that silky smooth surface which allows for the water to separate.
      can you recommend a polish other than Aramith? one that's easier to obtain ...

Comment

i use mr sheen its quite good just use a good cloth and make sure you wipe them dry

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA

can you recommend a polish other than Aramith? one that's easier to obtain ...
          Honestly, not really. I used to use meguirs car polish, but the down side was that the polish held as a coating, which initially is awesome, but then the balls started to have dirt stick to them easily. If you want to amaze friends by being able to screw the white the full length of the table, use car polish, though if you want consistency, there really is only the proper aramith polish.

One other thing I noticed with the car polish, was that I NEVER got kicks, and with the ability to screw the white so much, people thought it was a light white. Not great to practice with cause other clubs hardly clean their balls, never min polish them, so going to play in a different club, with different balls, can leave you doubting everything, mostly your cue action. Once that happens, you can't focus properly and your game goes completely wrong.

Everything a player strives for is consistency, and when trying to work on your positional play, you're better to stick to a consistent set of properly cleaned and polished balls.

Comment

Whoever gets properly cleaned balls?

I actually saw one set of balls in our club get a bit of a rub the other day! The man blocked the cloth at each end of the table by going across the table. After blocking, he then proceeded to brush the cloth. I did try to put him right on the subject, but he just shrugged and carried on. He then proceeded to iron the cloth by using two hands and pressing as hard as he could. No wonder when trying to pot the black into the end pockets they have started to curl away from them instead of into them.

The man that usually looks after the tables brushes the cloth in an arked motion, never in a straight line.
            :snooker:

Comment

Someone told me to use windolene as it works in a similar way to aramith ball cleaner, would you say this is ok to use in the long term ?

Its just i had no aramith ball cleaner in the house so i tried windolene this once, seems to have brought them up really well. I'll soon find out if they are ok once i play a few frames with them.
              sigpic

Comment

I periodically use Autoglym Super Resin Polish but one of these days will try some of my Rain-X which is alcohol based.

Comment

I tried windolene original, the pink stuff. It seemed to work very well, the only thing that would concern me in the long run is i don't know what the ingredients are in windolene, it contains white spirit but thats all i know. Obviously you don't want to risk any colour fade because of something that might be in it.
                  Last edited by The Stig; 5 January 2012, 11:24 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking of buying some of that aramith cleaning product. BTW I have a set of superpro red and white pool balls are they aramith?

Pledge seems the best thing to use cleaning the pool balls with but it doesn't give you that shiny gloss that you want. Those electronic polishers are 700 quid!!! do people actually by em?

Comment

I think i read on here that things like Pledge and Mr Sheen put too much shine on the balls and they skid around the table where you lose screw etc because it can't grip the cloth.

I'm using nothing but Aramith ball cleaner now, its very good stuff, the finish is excellent and it gives the colour of the balls a brand new look each time you play.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
                        I think i read on here that things like Pledge and Mr Sheen put too much shine on the balls and they skid around the table where you lose screw etc because it can't grip the cloth.

I'm using nothing but Aramith ball cleaner now, its very good stuff, the finish is excellent and it gives the colour of the balls a brand new look each time you play.
                        I found it to be the exact opposite. when i use the pledge it cleans it well but you get a finish that isn't shiny.

I find that I need to clean the balls every pool session and it's annoying because it takes like 20mins for me to do it.

I need something to do it for me quick. Those electronic things looks great but I'm no way spending 700 ha. 100 would be a reasonable price to pay IMO.

Edit: Is there a particular cloth one should use. I just remembered we have an extra set of pool balls some old ones that we don't use. I don't use them so I'm going to put them on a glass wash in the dishwasher see what happens.
                        Last edited by sklskl; 28 January 2012, 11:23 PM.

Comment

guys just to let you know, my aramith ball polisher is up for sale. here's the link the snookerforum page. any questions welcome. cheers http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...lisher-cleaner

Comment

Working...
                          X