Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kamui tip problem

Hi,
    i have been using the black 10mm medium kamui tips, and although i love the feel of them, right from the first stroke i have to say that i am slightly miffed to say the least that each of the 5 tips i have used, have all split at the ferrule, this always seems to happen after only 40hrs 'ish' use, and when the shoulder gets to around 3mm above the ferrule.
    prior to these i would play with pressed elkmasters or blue diamonds neither of which ever split even with less 'meat' still left on them.
    So i would love to find out if I am on my own here or has this splitting issue been seen by others?

I have just fitted my last remaining kamui, i have tried the Talisman mediums which seem okay, if slightly hard but unlike the kamui do 'for me' take a little getting use to, so looking maybe at an alternative has anyone compared the MW super tips to either the Kamui or Talisman and if so how does it feel in comparison in hardness?

Cheers
    Ian

I cant understand how they are going so thin after just 40 hours of play , am i right in thinkink that you filed or trimmed them quite thin to begin with , if thats the case then you should leave them higher as unlike elks , bd , etc they are firm enough to keet them high .
    I have had the odd one delaminate but only after a bad miscue .

Comment

Originally Posted by arcadian2002 View Post
      Hi,
      i have been using the black 10mm medium kamui tips, and although i love the feel of them, right from the first stroke i have to say that i am slightly miffed to say the least that each of the 5 tips i have used, have all split at the ferrule, this always seems to happen after only 40hrs 'ish' use, and when the shoulder gets to around 3mm above the ferrule.
      prior to these i would play with pressed elkmasters or blue diamonds neither of which ever split even with less 'meat' still left on them.
      So i would love to find out if I am on my own here or has this splitting issue been seen by others?

I have just fitted my last remaining kamui, i have tried the Talisman mediums which seem okay, if slightly hard but unlike the kamui do 'for me' take a little getting use to, so looking maybe at an alternative has anyone compared the MW super tips to either the Kamui or Talisman and if so how does it feel in comparison in hardness?

Cheers
      Ian
      Hey 2002,

Are you serious ??
      Are you taking medication and then combining that with alcohol or prescription medication ??
      Sorry,just like to understand your position.

On a more serious note,you are definitely doing something wrong OR you have not bought genuine Kamui tips.
      First up they do not make 10 mm tips.
      One genuine tip should last you more than a year,playing 10 hours or so per week, in my experience.
      Your've been through FIVE tips ?????
      Over how long ????
      Like to hear who you purchased from and how you are fitting the tips.
      Please accept my apology if you are blind and are fitting the Kamui s to the base of your waking cane.
      " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

Sounds like you may have been sold some fake kamui tips and there are lots of them (fakes) floating around on eBay mate
        77 in a match, 97 in a line up

Comment

Thankyou Hotpot & Rob,
          i put the 11mm tips on and trim them down to the 10mm ferrule with the Joe Porper trimmer (great little tool) and then finish of by putting a very slight dome on it which leave around 4 to 5 mm of shoulder, having never meashured it i can't be exact on that.
          So i take your point Hotpot, but trust me i leave as many layers on as possible, which does bring me to Robs point about fake tips,
          I have purchased these from ebay, always from respected sellers, that said the last one that i have just fitted came direct from a well known coach (Arthur W) and is actually 1/3 taller than all the other i have purchase and leaves a huge 5.7mm shoulder after domeing, fingers crossed this was the reason, only time will tell.
          Rob if you dont mind would you PM me with the names of any fake tip sellers you know.
          Cheers guys
          Ian
          P.S sydneygeorge, i respectfully ask you to remove you questions and comment from this thread.

Comment

I have always bought off John Parrot cues or Craftsman .

Comment

Thanks Hotpot,
              if and when you have one would you mind measuring its height and letting me know, my prevoius 4 tips were around 5mm this last one was 7.2mm. And if you dont mind me asking at what height of shoulder would you be looking at changing the tip?
              many thanks for your insight
              Ian

Comment

I aint got a new one to measure now but i would say they are way over 5 mm . I leave them as high as possible and usually only change it when i test another tip out . I take it off carefully so that i can use it again , i have three here that are worn in and will be used again . Have you tried the tan ones , they are very nice tips aswell .

You should always leave a tips bigger than you like them as they get slighty smaller when they are being played in and when you see one side flattening which is usually the top of the tip as you use bottom for more power shots , turn the cue upside down to even it out rather than sanding it even .
                Last edited by hotpot; 22 July 2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Hotpot,
                  no I have never even heard of the 'Tan' version, do you have a link?

Cheers
                  Ian

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2610663785...84.m1497.l2649

Comment

Thanks Hotpot,
                      have you tested them, if so how did they feel?

Comment

Originally Posted by arcadian2002 View Post
                        Thanks Hotpot,
                        have you tested them, if so how did they feel?
                        Yes muck , they are very nice , similar to the black but a tad firmer with slightly less elasticity .

Comment

Mate, a wee suggestion. Flame on here is selling red Omins. They are the dogs danglies, a lot like Talisman but they chalk up better. 3 for £6 delivered, and he's a member, so he can be trusted to only sell genuine stuff. They hit the ball firm and punchy. Better than Phoenix and Talisman IME. Now you're down to your last Kamui, it's worth a try. An MW supertip is like a good elk, that's it. If you like elks, MW STs are the way to go; they are consistent, no bad ones. If you're converted to and love laminates, MWs are a step backward. Everyone who likes laminates should try Flame's Omins. Could save you quite a few quid if they work for you.
                          Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Cheers guys,
                            Hotpot thats exactly the kinda feedback i was looking for they sound great, but so do the Omins, so my plan will be to use this last Kamui tip, and order a TAN version, and some Omins, at that price i will not care if they aren't for me.
                            Partical Physics, do you have a link were i can purchase these Omin tips that Flame is selling.

Cheers
                            ian

Comment

If your using super glue it might be soaking into the leather if you have roughed the back of the tip down.
                              I use a gel as it does'nt seem to soak into the leather as much. I'm also very careful when trimming and shaping layerd tips in case I lift they layers.
                              Hope this helps a little.

Comment

Working...
                              X