Aramith Pro Cup Polka Dot Training Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aramith Pro Cup Polka Dot Training Ball

Just weighed my Pro Cup cue ball, at 142g. Does this sound about right? She flies through TCs and supercrystalates. Is she a bit heavy? I read on a website that this ball is meant to be pretty identical to TCs, in size and weight. Is this right?
    Last edited by Particle Physics; 19 August 2012, 10:31 PM.
    Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

My TC's all weigh around 141g so sounds about right, maybe take the scales with you and weigh the others to compare.
    I bought a spotted white, but it only weighs 131g so isn't much use lol, maybe bought the wrong one by mistake, great for screwing back with mind

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      My TC's all weigh around 141g so sounds about right, maybe take the scales with you and weigh the others to compare.
      I bought a spotted white, but it only weighs 131g so isn't much use lol, maybe bought the wrong one by mistake, great for screwing back with mind
      Hearing you bud, hearin' you. For us novices still learning a lot of shots, it shows what we've done right and wrong, like getting a bit too much stun on a ball when it should be screw etc. I got an Aramith cue ball from a reputable source. The only problem is that a lot of clubs use flippin poly balls, so it gets a bit unrealistic using a heavier cue ball. But even with the TCs, she flies through. I guess I'll have to take some scales to the club and weigh the TCs. People will think I'm nuts, what am I saying............................................ ...LOL!

Comment

PP: (or 'Master Thread Starter')

The correct weight is right around within 3gm of 141gm with the Pro Cup balls and within 1gm for the 1G sets, so your cueball is the correct weight however the set you use could be lighter if they've been used a lot. My recommendation for you would be to purchase your own set of balls and the 1G are best since they come with a nice little attache case (although I know they're a bit expensive at around 190pounds or so).

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          PP: (or 'Master Thread Starter')

The correct weight is right around within 3gm of 141gm with the Pro Cup balls and within 1gm for the 1G sets, so your cueball is the correct weight however the set you use could be lighter if they've been used a lot. My recommendation for you would be to purchase your own set of balls and the 1G are best since they come with a nice little attache case (although I know they're a bit expensive at around 190pounds or so).

Terry

I was thinking this tonight Terry, a set would make practice more interesting and realistic (for matches).

Comment

Hi there guy's , I use the 1G set with a spotted white spare (they all weigh in at exactly 142g) but there is one problem with having a perfect set to practice with?

It is when you play where the balls are different weights... EG: a light cue ball can ruin any shot where top is required to open the bunch. Sorry to jump in. cheers.
            don't miss!

Comment

That reminds me I need to weigh mine. Will post the results when I have done it.
              王可

Comment

So yes I weighed them all. The cheap Chinese set I got with the table has the heaviest being the green at 139.8 and the lightest being the yellow at 132.5. That is a massive difference. The cue ball supplied with the set is even heavier at 141.7 but we tend to use the polka dot training ball I got from UK at 140.8. On the 21 balls plus cue ball in the original set Excel tells me the standard deviation is 2.072391.

The pool balls are even worse! The lightest is 140.9 and the heaviest is 148.2 with the cue ball coming somewhere in the middle at 145.5. The standard deviation on those is 2.114228.

Not sure what this means for my game. Would I be best using a cueball which is closest to the weight of the balls?

I suppose my next trick should be to measure them all.
                王可

Comment

By the way these are NOT the balls I use in Bulgaria! Those are Aramith. Maybe I should take the scales with me there.....
                  Last edited by philip in china; 27 August 2012, 06:44 AM.
                  王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                    So yes I weighed them all. The cheap Chinese set I got with the table has the heaviest being the green at 139.8 and the lightest being the yellow at 132.5. That is a massive difference. The cue ball supplied with the set is even heavier at 141.7 but we tend to use the polka dot training ball I got from UK at 140.8. On the 21 balls plus cue ball in the original set Excel tells me the standard deviation is 2.072391.

The pool balls are even worse! The lightest is 140.9 and the heaviest is 148.2 with the cue ball coming somewhere in the middle at 145.5. The standard deviation on those is 2.114228.

Not sure what this means for my game. Would I be best using a cueball which is closest to the weight of the balls?

I suppose my next trick should be to measure them all.
                    If the Standard Deviation is that high on both sets, it tells you one thing, reject the null hypothesis, H0: that the balls are from the same set, i.e. they may have come together but for all intense purposes, they may as well be from different sets.

The next job may be to measure them, but if I was you, my next job would be to find some genuine Aramith TC balls.

Comment

I certainly am going to get some new ones! These are showing signs of their age anyway!

I love the naive way in which you assume that a Chinese "set" of balls would weigh anything like the same amount each! That isn't the way things are done here.

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                      If the Standard Deviation is that high on both sets, it tells you one thing, reject the null hypothesis, H0: that the balls are from the same set, i.e. they may have come together but for all intense purposes, they may as well be from different sets.

The next job may be to measure them, but if I was you, my next job would be to find some genuine Aramith TC balls.
                      王可

Comment

Working...
                      X