Thanks Longbomber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Longbomber

Tonight in the Pottr household was tip night. Ten of my friends in preparation for the main event, my own!

Scalpel, glue and various tips in hand and I flew through the ten til I got to my own... Disaster.
    Over the course of three hours I had gone through and then had five separate Elk's lift on me.

Each tip had passed the scratch test and even a line up or two before the horror.

Something reminded me of the longbomber's microwave tip. Fifteen minutes later, played the first shot and I now I think there might be something in it.

20 seconds in the microwave before... coincidence?

Any takers?

Used to do that mate firms them up nice!
    Don't over cook them tho lol

Comment

Do you only do this if the tip plays too soft? Or any elk before you glue on..? I'd imagine it can't hurt to do every elk like this...
      Last edited by SouthPaw; 5 January 2013, 11:28 AM. Reason: Added extra...
      Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

I did it before I sanded the bottom flat.

20 seconds, then let it sit for five minutes while I cleaned up the ferrule.

Comment

I´ve heard this the first time 5 or 6 years ago.
          A pool cuemaker told me this little trick, but i never tried.

I also know someone who put his new tip in a vise for 24h before retipping
          mind control > body control > cue control > ball control

Comment

Can you explain what happened to your tip Pottr, i am not experienced enough in tipology to know what to look for(just fitted elk tip on my cue and would like to know what to look out for)cheers.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

With Elks, the battle is looking for a tip which will compress into a playable tip. You can usually tell immediately after the chopping phase, but sometimes you can't identify it till after you have played a bit.

When sticking on a tip, remember to make sure each surface is clean and level and that the tip has no air gaps after you have stick it on. If it does, you may as well just rip it off and begin again.
              Remember, a sharp knife is needed for cutting the tip. A blunt knife will just pull at the tip instead of slice through it. Which makes it lift.

Comment

by lifting i take it you mean separating the layers
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I purchased my 10mm elks from JP Cuesports and so far have just stuck them on and played. Like any elk, after about 8 hours of play its bedd in,,, for me anyway..
                  JP Majestic
                  3/4
                  57"
                  17oz
                  9.5mm Elk

Comment

Pressed tips don't necessarily have layers but the composite leather does pull apart.

People sometimes think that the tips are duff because of this but in reality they aren't using a sharp enough knife in the chopping phase. Meaning they are sawing and not slicing the tip flush.

I purchased my 10mm elks from JP Cuesports and so far have just stuck them on and played. Like any elk, after about 8 hours of play its bedd in,,, for me anyway..
                    My last two before my nightmare have been like that. I could not understand my misfortune this time. The microwave trick may have been pure coincidence.

But I'll cling to that like a picture of Jesus in my toast

Comment

Working...
                    X