Talisman glue edges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talisman glue edges

I've had several talisman tips begin to split apart after only a days use, this is probably because i have to trim them down to fit my ferule. I do use a new blade and trim carefully, but they still split. If i didn't play so well with them i would have given up on them long ago.

On my current tip i superglued around the edges to seal the layers and so far its held together and its playing great.

When you get a new talisman it has a sort of varnishy type finish around the edge, and trimming removes this, but when I put the glue around the edge it was like an untrimmed talisman again.

I just wondered if anyone else has done this and if its a good idea or not advisable.

Yes your correct. they have a lacquer applied to them. using super glue, you need to be careful not to use a thin one, as it will soak into the leather and make the tip unplayable. you can also use a clear nail varnish after you cut them down, to acheive same finish.
    "Don't think, feel"

Comment

I done the same thing with a phoenix tip which seems to have done the trick .

Comment

Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
        Yes your correct. they have a lacquer applied to them. using super glue, you need to be careful not to use a thin one, as it will soak into the leather and make the tip unplayable. you can also use a clear nail varnish after you cut them down, to acheive same finish.
        What happened with those new tips Doc ?

Comment

Buy a SwannMorton scalpel. You can buy them from ebay for only a few quid. Scalpels are so much more precise than stanley blades and give a much easier cut. Like a hot knife through butter as they say.

I think it's handle size 11 and blade size 3 combination which fits (or vice versa). I've never had a problem as scalpels are so sharp. Be careful though ;-)
          Last edited by poona; 6 January 2013, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I think itss a 10 handle muck , i,ve had a few tallys delaminate and every phoenix has and i dont trim my tips apart from Kamui or the large 14 mm tips which makes me think its more to do with the glue used not being up to the job .

Comment

Just checked. It's a 3 handle with a 11 blade

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/3...an06123415.jpg

Comment

OK, I'm going to make a point here which will pee off a lot of people.

I have NEVER had any problem with any laminated tip de-layering with the exception of sometimes the very top layer will get very small when I have a good dome on the time as it gets very small. All I ever do then is to carefully take off that top layer and re-shape the tip. This includes Talisman, Phoenix, Kamui and Aurora.

How do I achieve this...I NEVER, EVER USE A BLADE AND CUT DOWN ON THE TIP TO TRIM IT. I believe no matter how careful you're being you are still placing some amount of stress on the glue between the layers of the tip.

I use a coarse file and only stroke the file down the shaft so I am applying compacting pressure on the tip. Yes, it takes me a little longer to trim a tip as I use 11mm tips and have a 9.4mm ferrule but I've found that little extra time is well worth the effort.

If I ever get my own website I'll have to put up an instructional video to show everyone how I do it so we can get away from this de-layering problem.

Terry
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

would be great to see your re-tiping procedure, Terry since this delayering also happened to me (and my club mates). we all
                  cut down the tips with a blade...

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                    OK, I'm going to make a point here which will pee off a lot of people.

I have NEVER had any problem with any laminated tip de-layering with the exception of sometimes the very top layer will get very small when I have a good dome on the time as it gets very small. All I ever do then is to carefully take off that top layer and re-shape the tip. This includes Talisman, Phoenix, Kamui and Aurora....
                    I've tried all those layered tips before and they never did de-laminate (touchwood) too except for the one time a lathe was used with the speed cranked up too high...

Maybe I got lucky but I do make sure that I use a new blade every time and make small, quick clean cuts to flush the tip with the ferrule. Then it's just normal sanding down to my preferred height and dome.
                    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Originally Posted by poona View Post
                      Just checked. It's a 3 handle with a 11 blade

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/3...an06123415.jpg
                      Interesting this... I'd like to give it a go... how often do you reckon the blades need changing?
                      When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

i used a super glue gel around the edges which hopefully hasn't soaked into the tip.
                        I will try terrys tip next and file the tip down instead of cutting it.
                        I'll have a look at the scalpels too, if theyre sharper than stanley blades they must be better.
                        It would be ideal not to have to put anything round the edges, but if i'm still getting splits occuring the nail varnish idea might be worth a try

Comment

I'd second the scalpel idea however that thing looks fancy... I use a standard xcelite scalpel (small size) and work round taking tiny bit off at a time. Never tried a laminated tip though I might add in just seconding that it is far better than a Stanley blade. Blades cone on packs of 5 keep 2 packs for new and used sharps. Always use a new blade for tips but the blades are still good for loss of other things. Surprising how many uses you can find for a scalpel couldn't live without it at work.
                          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                            ....couldn't live without it at work.
                            Yeah well, that's because your a surgeon rob

Comment

I'm a recent convert to scalpel and will never use anything else again, also used it to cut wall paper in when decorating recently and was absolutely amazed how easy it made the job, best £5 you'll ever spend.
                              No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Working...
                              X