No announcement yet.

Talisman glue edges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't trust me as a surgeon, I can't even play operation very well..but trimming paper, cleaning hairs off sensors, cutting cable ties, opening those darn plastic blister packs, and trimming cue tips, just a few of the new things you will be introduced to after joining the wonderful world of the scalpel!
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      Yeah well, that's because your a surgeon rob
      phew, I was beginning to worry he was a barber aka Sweeney Todd ...

Comment

Never had a problem with de-laminating either. I also get mine from work

Comment

so far i have never had a tip de-laminate on me- swann morton 10a
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Just got the retractable one..nice bit of sturdy kit and fits in the cue case nicely

Comment

I never get tips splitting on me and i cut every one i ever do, however i dont cut down on the tip straight away as i feel this puts too much pressure on the layers, i find having the cue standing as if ready to chalk it hold the blade at a 45degree angle against the tip like / that, spin the cue so you are trimming from the base outwards, once you get the base flush to the ferrule then you can turn it upside down and cut through it easy enough, i use this technique on talismans, kamuis, mooris, tiger and phoenix tips, as i said i've never had one split.

Comment

Originally Posted by frazz View Post
                I never get tips splitting on me and i cut every one i ever do, however i dont cut down on the tip straight away as i feel this puts too much pressure on the layers, i find having the cue standing as if ready to chalk it hold the blade at a 45degree angle against the tip like / that, spin the cue so you are trimming from the base outwards, once you get the base flush to the ferrule then you can turn it upside down and cut through it easy enough, i use this technique on talismans, kamuis, mooris, tiger and phoenix tips, as i said i've never had one split.
                i will second that frazz mate, i have fitted thousands and never had one split yet.
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I usually dont trim my tips yet have had a high percentage of layered tips delaminate some quicker than others . I know my club table has some bearing on this as its slow so you have to punch a lot of shots , maybe the overhang has something to do with it aswell as there is no support for the last mm or so of the tip .

Comment

Frazz, I take it you mean doing it like this......

Trevor kindly showing us how it is done!!
                    Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                    Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Yeah pretty much exactly like that except for the sandpaper on the ferrule! Keep it well away from the brass! Otherwise your 9.5 tip will soon be 9mm!

Comment

Yeah pretty much exactly like that except for the sandpaper on the ferrule! Keep it well away from the brass! Otherwise your 9.5 tip will soon be 9mm!
                        yes, i have a couple of old cues that started out as 9.5mm but are now 9mm.
                        When i started doing my own tips i thought it was impossible to sand down brass with just sand paper, it's suprising how quickly you can ruin a ferrule.

Comment

Recently I've had three talismans split
                          about two layers up all from the same
                          packet so I assume the same batch
                          So I would say there is possibly something
                          in this.
                          I've not fitted them any different to usual
                          and all split in the same way after half an hours use
                          The only laminated tips I've never had any split
                          Are kamui, omin, & moori. the o min tips are supposedly
                          Made by talisman, so don't understand why they
                          are ok but the tallys not
                          Quality control I guess. I would say that this problem
                          seems more common recently.

Comment

got some scalpel blades and a retractable handle through the post yesterday. tried it out on a couple of elk masters and they both turned out perfect, still firm with no spongyness at all. I had given up on elk masters because they kept turning out spongy after i had trimmed them.
                            the scalpel is better than the stanley blades, cuts through the tip easier, and two elk masters turning out perfect can't be luck.
                            100 blades are pretty cheap too, they will last a long time

Comment

Working...
                            X