Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm currently trying to fit my new tip, and as silly as it sounds, as hard as I try, I cant get the wood in the ferrule flush with the ferrule itself, when I see if its perfectly flat or not by placing the tip on the cue, theres about half a millimetre gap between the edge of the tip and the ferrule. Almost like a square sitting on a dome, if you understand. I dont know what to do, Ive done a lot of sanding, any ideas??
    You have to be 100% behind someone before you can stab them in the back.

Comment

Also the ferrule looks slightly, and EVER EVER so slightly wonky

What a botched job, is it still repairable?? Someone help!!

Comment

sometimes the level isnt perfect, and you can have a bevelled ferrule/wood top (almost like a wave, if you could blow the image up)

depending on how bad it is, you could try this:- (i have done it loads of times to fix bevels, but it wont help you if its not your problem)

tape down mid grade sandpaper on a flat table

turn your shaft upside down

holding your shaft about 3 inches above your ferrule with your strong hand, and supporting the other end with your other hand, lean the ferrule down into the sandpaper and turn in a circular motion for say 20 seconds.

lift the cue, rotate it a bit and do the same again.

the reason you do it in a circular motion, and also lift the cue occasionally is so that you dont lean to much on one side, making it slope.

do this process again with a fine grade of paper (wetordry) and check out your ferrule/wood top now

if it was bevelled, and youve done this well, it should be much better

ive did this process many times, and found it the easiest way to sort slight imperfections.....perhaps others have a different way, but this way does work all the same.....but be sure its the same problem first

good luck

Comment

I have an image here for you, its not a pretty sight, it looks 10 times worse here than it does to actually look at....but this is my problem:

Comment

yip

do what i said above, checking inbetween "shots" to make sure your "getting there"

you will lose 1/5th mm (approx) off your ferrule, but hopefully once its done its fine for good

Comment

Thanks a lot for your help mate, ill try that. Hopefully I can post a new picture up soon of a reasonably good looking ferrule, and save my embarrasment.

Comment

yes good advice - either that or take it to your nearest cue maker or cue doctor and get him to change the ferrule, if you can't even it out that is what you will need to do anyway - changing ferrules is a very tricky diy job.
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by JParrott1
                  Thanks a lot for your help mate, ill try that. Hopefully I can post a new picture up soon of a reasonably good looking ferrule, and save my embarrasment.
                  no probs at all

if you do as i typed, taking your time, you will get it much better, and hopefully "a1".....its not a hard job if, like me, youve done it "lots".....

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147
                    yes good advice.
                    cheers mate.

Comment

Semih and adr, thanks a lot for your help, its worked a treat, theres no inconsistency in the ferrule atall now!

However, I still have the problem where no matter how much I sand end of the cue, when i put the tip on it looks like a square on a dome. Do I just need to keep sanding, or is there something else?

Comment

Originally Posted by JParrott1
                        Semih and adr, thanks a lot for your help, its worked a treat, theres no inconsistency in the ferrule atall now!

However, I still have the problem where no matter how much I sand end of the cue, when i put the tip on it looks like a square on a dome. Do I just need to keep sanding, or is there something else?
                        sand the bottom of the tip, in a circular motion, lifting a few times, to ensure it too is flat, and not bevelled (dont know if this is in ADRs tip guide, but its in mine)

this should ensure both the cue top and the tip are flush, and once glued and pressure applied, there should be no gap, and a "perfect join" of tip and cue

Comment

i posted this on here over a year ago, in case its of any use to you

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/showp...9&postcount=12

Comment

I really dont mean to go on and on about this, but heres a pic of my problem now..... ive tried everything, ive literally sanded for about an hour non stop, but I cant get it any flatter than this

Comment

one of them isnt flat (or both). find out what one (or both) and repeat until you are SURE they are, then apply the tip

Comment

Ive tried but to no avail, so Im going to get it done professionally, seeing as I dont know any cue makers/doctors in the kent area, Im looking online, i notice www.planetsnooker.com do tip and ferrule repair for £7.....is this a good option?

Comment

Working...
                                X