Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aramith TC SuperPro 1G's lost looking a bit dull :(

Hey guys
    Firstly I am sorry if this has been asked before - I had a look through some threads but didn't find anything, but I reckon this must be a common question/problem.
    I was given a set of SuperPro 1Gs a while ago which came from World Snooker. They were obviously used for a tournament or two before they didn't want them any more. Obviously they're great to practice and play with etc. I've had them for a year or so now with only weekly use. Yesterday I played with a brand new set out of the box and couldn't believe how much shinier they were than mine. And they certainly seemed to play a lot better as a result.
    I think I've always looked after my set pretty well - I use the Aramith ball cleaner stuff every so often to give them a good clean. But I think the shine has really gone, compared with a new set.
    So I guess the question is, is this to be expected? Do I just need to accept that I ought to get a new set if I want nice shiny balls, or is there something I can so to get my set looking, and playing, their best again?
    Thanks in advance for any advice
    Tim

You have the aramith ball cleaner but there is also aramith ball restorer too . Might be worth trying that

Comment

Cheers mate yeah I think maybe I'll get some and give it a go.
      To be honest I am not really sure on what the difference is between the Cleaner (blue bottle) and Restorer (green bottle). The Saluc website doesn't really help much either!? Except it seems the blue bottle is for regular use and is polish, and the green one is for occasional use when your balls are really quite dirty. I noticed that they said that where you use the green bottle, you should use the blue bottle as well afterwards.
      I would be interested to hear from anyone who has owned a set of these balls for a while, and what condition they're in compared with a new set. With proper care should it be possible to keep them as shiny??
      Also - is there really much playing difference between a new set and a set that's perfectly clean etc, just not as shiny (for someone who isn't a pro!).
      Cheers!

Comment

Yes I fully recommend the restorer, it is far better than the cleaner. I clean my set every few weeks and then use the restorer about every couple of months.

Comment

Ah that's great to hear - thanks for letting me know! I am gonna order some now then and give it a try.

Comment

Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
            Ah that's great to hear - thanks for letting me know! I am gonna order some now then and give it a try.
            I've heard, but haven't tried yet, that a thin coat of Turtle car wax and a buff does restore the shine on the balls. I have an older set here of TC balls which are fairly beat up and I think I have some Turtle Wax in the garage (maybe not though). I will give it a try and see what happens and post it on this string for everyone.
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

That sounds great Terry - thanks very much for your input. I for one look forward to hearing how you get on with the Turtle wax!

Comment

That would be great Terry, someone else said they tried something,sorry I can't remember but I think it was some kind of polish, but they didn't use it on the cue ball, will be interesting to see how they play.
                Rogi, do you clean them with the cleaner or just soapy water.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Aramith TC SuperPro 1G's lost looking a bit dull

that someone else mentioned Autoglym car polish and as you said not on the white but didn't answer why not the white ...
                  was it MrBigShot ?
                  Last edited by DeanH; 12 January 2015, 05:10 PM.
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

That's it Dean, cheers pal.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                      That would be great Terry, someone else said they tried something,sorry I can't remember but I think it was some kind of polish, but they didn't use it on the cue ball, will be interesting to see how they play.
                      Rogi, do you clean them with the cleaner or just soapy water.
                      I checked in my garage and no Turtle Wax (it would have been 10yrs old and dried up anyway). The next time I can get to an auto store I'll buy a small bottle and give it a try and post the results on this string. If I can manage it I'll post a photo showing a Turtle Wax buffed ball and another red from the same set so you can see the difference.
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                        I checked in my garage and no Turtle Wax (it would have been 10yrs old and dried up anyway). The next time I can get to an auto store I'll buy a small bottle and give it a try and post the results on this string. If I can manage it I'll post a photo showing a Turtle Wax buffed ball and another red from the same set so you can see the difference.
                        Cheers Terry ,you're a good un, I want to get my balls all shiney lol, but I don't want to do something to ruin them, having an old set to practice on would be perfect.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                          Forget about how shiny the balls will come up I would be more interested to how the balls will play after a waxing and how they react on the cloth with contact with other balls.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                            Forget about how shiny the balls will come up I would be more interested to how the balls will play....
                            I definitely agree with this - but I reckon there is a direct relationship between how shiny they are, and how they play. I.e. if the shine is restored they'll play like a new set again. I have to say though, I am just not sure whether using polish will provide a lasting shine on the balls. And will the polish wear off on the cloth and leave residue? Got to be worth a go I guess!
                            On a related note, I just wanted to comment that today I have received a bottle of the Aramtith restorer (green bottle) so I will be giving that a try and see if it has more success.
                            I spent over an hour the other night polishing my set with the blue cleaner (which is apparently polish) and it hasn't really made them shine. Its odd - the balls look absolutely perfect; the cleaner has got them looking immaculate. They just don't shine as much as they used to, and that seems to lead to a duller contact between the balls compared with a brand new set.
                            I will try this restorer tonight and report back!

Comment

Working...
                            X