Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extensions

My new cue (an 80s Powerglide Purist) has a lovely wide handle but it doesn't fit into a push on extension. I thought of adding a brass barrel for an extension but this would change the balance and the old wood feel the cue has; Ronnie uses a push-on on his Parris (!). So I came up with some polypipe out the shed and made one that fits on to my adjustable extension. It's not finished and centering the sit of the cue inside the tube at the top is the tricky thing, apart from heating, cutting and shaping the plastic. Has anyone else tried this and do you have pictures? Do you have any tips?

Black rubber locking ring not pictured. This ring grips around the top of the prongs. Not sure if lining the plastic prongs with some sort of liner (rubber/felt?) would help? Picture attached>

WP_20150302_13_21_00_Pro.jpg

Both of these wide butts fit snugly inside this lined pipe. Not finished yet.
    Last edited by Master Blaster; 2 March 2015, 01:52 PM.

Comment

MB - use say that the Purist has a wide butt (handle you call it) exactly how wide is the butt at the widest point?
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        MB - use say that the Purist has a wide butt (handle you call it) exactly how wide is the butt at the widest point?
        33.9mm Dean. The 'handle' is the last part of the butt we grip (I grip at the end, so that's where my handle is on most shots).

The handle also bends down from the rest of the butt (see pic below). The cue can be dated quite accurately, as Powerglide only introduced this shape for a few years, then binned the bent handle on the next edition, which was still quite wide mind. Modern Purist cues are straight pole affairs with a standard chamfer and quite slim in comparison. The bent handle is to make it as comfortable and natural for the rear fingers as possible I guess? It's quite a bulbous feel but I like it. The only problem is that this shaped handle is pretty unique, so unless I find another or get a custom made, it's impossible to find in any other cue. I wonder if the Burwat is also quite wide?

WP_20150302_16_00_02_Pro.jpg

It took two years for a 1-piece with a bent handle to turn up on ebay, and I got it for a song IMO. Burwats come up all the time in comparison.
        Last edited by Master Blaster; 2 March 2015, 04:38 PM.

Comment

cheers for the info
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            cheers for the info
            Hope you filed it. lol

The Joe Davis 147 is also quite wide at 31.5mm, feels great in the hand as well. I guess cues were wider back in the day? Maybe some cue experts can comment?
            Last edited by Master Blaster; 2 March 2015, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X