Snooker Spectacles.. Advice , Tips??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker Spectacles.. Advice , Tips??

Ok I'm thinking about the Norville frames, and just wanted to see if anyone has had success using these frames, or any others? I'm looking for advice and experiences from users and if there's anything else i need to know before ordering? ie any special requirements etc etc...

Cant resist - try getting some of these?

Comment

Interesting thread that I hope gets lots of answers. I am considering going down that route myself. Struggled with my eyesight for years and am waiting for a second cataract op.

I have packed up playing for now but ever the optimist I did buy a nice cue on Saturday for a bargain price. Just finished restoring it and itching to have a knock about to try it out.

Tried to play with normal specs and they just don't work for me, tho Martin Gould seems to manage very well.
      "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Snooker Spectacles.. Advice , Tips??

Yes I don't get that one at all mate? Martin gold seems to have no problem what so ever. I'm ok with contacts for first couple frames then start tiring out. Glasses would be so much better I think. They'd feel more natural, more comfortable..

Comment

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/ask-the...ker-glasses-2/

Interesting read.
          Last edited by Master Blaster; 26 March 2015, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
            Cant resist - try getting some of these?

Where do I order them from? I think I need 2 pairs.

Who is the player? I like his style. The final black one handed.
            My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
            I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
              Interesting thread that I hope gets lots of answers. I am considering going down that route myself. Struggled with my eyesight for years and am waiting for a second cataract op.

I have packed up playing for now but ever the optimist I did buy a nice cue on Saturday for a bargain price. Just finished restoring it and itching to have a knock about to try it out.

Tried to play with normal specs and they just don't work for me, tho Martin Gould seems to manage very well.
              I would guess Gould is long sighted......as u can clearly see he sights over the top of his small framed specs.

I'm the opposite (short sighted), so have to have snooker specs that touch my eyebrows, which can be a nuisance as when I get warm, as u can under the lights, the lenses steam up towards the bridge of my nose.
              Safety doesn't win frames.......Potting does!

Comment

Originally Posted by Dozza19792 View Post
                I would guess Gould is long sighted......as u can clearly see he sights over the top of his small framed specs.

I'm the opposite (short sighted), so have to have snooker specs that touch my eyebrows, which can be a nuisance as when I get warm, as u can under the lights, the lenses steam up towards the bridge of my nose.
                I tried contacts, but I couldn't get them in myself, eyelids used to shut no matter how hard I tried......I've now been using them for 8yrs or so, sometimes good, sometimes bad......seems to be worse if i'm slightly tired.
                Safety doesn't win frames.......Potting does!

Comment

There was a thread on this a few years ago .......i spent a fortune trying different style frames but no matter what , i could never get the line of vision correct . All very frustrating and expensive !

Tried contacts 3 times but have an issue with the roundness of one eye .......but each time the contacts are getting better . But still vision is slightly impaired .

So i just use oversized frames .

Not a great player but can hold a cue and really think that with better eyesight i could have improved my game considerably .
                  Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I actually have the Norville frames that you mentioned. Up until august last year I had been wearing contacts to play snooker/pool and had used contacts for about 7-8 years. In august I had a accident and damaged my right eye and therefore I couldn't wear contacts until it had healed fully. I tried playing in my normal specs but my eyesight is bad enough that the cue ball was a blur on address, so I thought I would start looking at oversized glasses/snooker specs. My ophthalmologist said it could be 6 months before I could wear contacts again. I saw the norville ones on the internet and was going to buy them from there, I'm glad I didn't in the end as they would have been useless for me and looked hideous.

So I went to a opticians that I knew stocked them and took my cue with me (table height measurement also required). They gave me a frame with blanks in and adjusted a table height so I could 'cue down'. They found that my pupil points were too high up the lens, which would cause distortion in vision. This is because I don't/can't bend my neck to sit flat on the cue. Anyway to cut a long story short they had to make a bespoke pair of lenses which were slightly taller than standard. Being short sighted the lens shape is concave ie the thick parts will be at the extremities. The first set they made up would have given me goldfish eyes, and this was already a slightly thinned lens. I eventually had to settle for the highest index of 1.79 or risk a neck injury from the weight and an even larger amount of ridicule down the club.

Anyway how good are they, they are good enough however contacts are far superior. I found I had to change my stance to raise my neck while using them and ultimately has ruined part of my game, but for the 5 months that I couldn't wear contacts they were better that not being able to see. They are expensive though, like I could have ordered a cue from most of the top guys and got considerable change back. If you can't/don't want to wear contacts these are the best option. It will take a month or so to get used to them though as I found the vision looked quite different. I would also say be prepared to be called Dennis a lot!!!

Comment

I wear rimless glasses with customised lens. It works well enough.

Chose an oversized sunglass lens as template and hey presto...
                      Attached Files
                      When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

I have both glasses and contacts and after using glasses for 1 year, and changed today to contacts there is a huge difference! Since the eye is some inches from the glass I experience that it will make the balls look smaller! When I used contacts today it was like I played with american pool balls! Very strange indeed.

I'm not sure what is the best way; seeing the balls smaller or bigger? What is your opinion on that case? It felt very odd but it could be a matter of adaption (or not).
                        #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

Comment

These don't look too bad either.. Can you remember where you bought them from? And what do you mean by ' Customised Lenses? ' And so I guess things we would need to point out to the optician would be 1. Set the focal point higher up towards the top end of the lens, and 2 Make sure I don't get goldfish? And then leave them to it. Hopefully they should come back ok?

Comment

Originally Posted by Viktortheman View Post
                            I have both glasses and contacts and after using glasses for 1 year, and changed today to contacts there is a huge difference! Since the eye is some inches from the glass I experience that it will make the balls look smaller! When I used contacts today it was like I played with american pool balls! Very strange indeed.

I'm not sure what is the best way; seeing the balls smaller or bigger? What is your opinion on that case? It felt very odd but it could be a matter of adaption (or not).
                            The biggest issue with glasses, especially strong prescriptions is defraction. That's why most prefer contacts.

Comment

Originally Posted by screw View Post
                              These don't look too bad either.. Can you remember where you bought them from? And what do you mean by ' Customised Lenses? ' And so I guess things we would need to point out to the optician would be 1. Set the focal point higher up towards the top end of the lens, and 2 Make sure I don't get goldfish? And then leave them to it. Hopefully they should come back ok?
                              Thanks... I got them made a couple of years ago at a local optic shop and mighty pleased I did.

"Customised" i.e. I chose a squarish, oversized lens shape which I thought should do the job and told the shop to make sure the lenses go higher up my browline so that I won't be looking over them when I'm down on the shot... see how they fixed the legs at the middle part of lens; most glasses have them higher up.

I explained my snooker needs to the optician and left it to him to do the necessary focal configurations. Still needed a while to get used to the focus though as I was wearing contacts before.

They look almost normal enough for daily wear too...

I'm near-sighted btw.
                              When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Working...
                              X