Layered Tip Playability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layered Tip Playability

Most of us will be aware that with pressed tips you get a lot that are virtually useless and it has been said many times you get a few good ones and a load of duff ones in a box.

What about the reliability issues with laminated tips. The delaminating issue associated with some (which may be down to bad fitting) aside
    for instance, is every Kamui medium as good as the next Kamui medium when it comes to playability? Has anyone come across maybe a few good Talismans that play well then got a duff one that wont get a reaction out of the cue ball?

I recently fitted a Mui tip on a cue. It was easy to fit, easy to shape, held its shape very well and played ok. But I couldn't get the same reaction on the cue ball as I could with a good Elkmaster that was previously fitted.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

I've tried talisman and kamui layered tips.

I've since switched to ADR's tips and have the soft on my snooker cue (the 4th adr tip that's been on it, 2x medium's that were exactly the same and both of the soft's that have gone on have been identical) and am testing out a super soft on my pool cue.

With layered tips - I've found that a talisman soft is bloody rock hard, can't imagine what a medium would be like.
    Kamui's the medium is too hard and the soft falls to pieces. I've yet to have an issue with ADR's tips.

I've got a spare unused ADR medium tip here that i'll probably never use, as for me i find the soft perfect for snooker and the super soft is looking like the one for pool. I'll happily stick it in the post to you on monday if you want to try one. I found it a little bit softer than the kamui medium and it had much better reaction on the cue ball.

Drop me a PM if you want it.
    Andi Mack

Comment

Kamui med/hard is perfect, medium is very soft i find and takes too long to bed in, talisman are terrible tips

Comment

Agree with that . Talisman put me off laminated tips . Highly overrated .

Tempted to get an ADR soft , but I don't like putting them on myself and its a ball ache driving to JP to get one put on .
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Im using my 2nd medium adr147 and its been almost identical to the 1st.
          Played with a few omin reds that have been consistent but very hard and used a few Hercules H2 tips a few years ago that were also very consistent

Comment

I use ADR tips !! Realy good !!! But No matter what kind of Laminated tip you use !! Cus sum players just can'nt use to it !!! Playing with Laminated tips requires better cueing ( more accurat ) compared to press tips !! in general speaking , all Laminated tips are harder compared with press tips !! Imo , if you can play Well with press tips , then keep it that way !! Is true , most of the Laminated tips are more consistent !! They keep thr shap very Well , but the playblty does change after a few weeks !!! Anyway ,,,, imo , The best LM tips at this time, re ADR tips !!

Comment

Yes have had Talisman tips myself in the past and thought they were terrible.
              Looks like I may try either a Kamui medium/hard as Frazz suggests or maybe one of Andrews. Which one of the ADR tips are you finding the best? I know Dave recently sent out some SS, is that because Andrew was getting feedback that the soft was a bit to hard for snooker?
              "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

I have no problem with both Kamui MH & ADR M ~~~~ :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                  Agree with that . Talisman put me off laminated tips . Highly overrated .

Tempted to get an ADR soft , but I don't like putting them on myself and its a ball ache driving to JP to get one put on .
                  Why are you going to JP's for a retip when you got Rob's workshop in tooting more or less in you door step.
                  Cheaper too!
                  Even better Neil is to learn how to retip yourself if you don't know already?
                  VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
                  Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
                  Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
                  Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

Can do tips but don't like doing my own cue for some reason .

Used to go to Osbornes all the time , but don't want to go there anymore . Another reason for that decision .

Comment

Ball ache it is lol....£10 for a retip is a bit pricey at JP's
                      Any reason for not wanting to go there(RO) anymore?
                      VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
                      Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
                      Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
                      Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

Yes I'm also intrigued by your last post Neil, wanna share?
                        77 in a match, 97 in a line up

Comment

had a talisman soft put on my new cue, playd 12 frames with it and its coming off, way too hard and no feel with it unlike a good elk

yeah they may last a hell of a lot longer but personally cant stand them for the hardness on so called soft tips

Comment

Originally Posted by rob s View Post
                            Yes I'm also intrigued by your last post Neil, wanna share?
                            Don't want to post my reason up on TSF .

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
                              had a talisman soft put on my new cue, playd 12 frames with it and its coming off, way too hard and no feel with it unlike a good elk

yeah they may last a hell of a lot longer but personally cant stand them for the hardness on so called soft tips
                              I found the talisman "soft" tips to be rock hard, try an ADR soft or medium and i think you'll change your mind.
                              Andi Mack

Comment

Working...
                              X