Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mushroom grazer blade alternative

Hi Guys,
    jut a quick tip, i have for a long time been a Kamui black medium tip user, i just love playing with them but hated fitting them, being layered these tips are extremely hard to trim down an 11mm tip to a 9.75mm ferrule, so i was very happy to discover the Joe Porper mushroom grazer which makes the fitting task a breeze.Unfortunately the blades blade is only good for 2 or 3 tips and to make matters worse they cost £2.50 each, which IMHO is a ridiculous price for a simple blade.
    So after searching online looking for a cheaper supply of the original blades and drawing a blank i then searched for alternatives and came across some small pencil sharpener blades on Ebay. I noticed the blades used only one fixing point as unlike the original blades which use 2 fixing screws but decided to order a packet with a 'suck it and see' attitude. As can bee seen from the attachments the new blades do fit and while only one screw actually goes threw the blade the other 'grazer' screw does actually pinch down tightly on the new blade, and also as can been seen the blade protrudes about 5mm from the grazer while the original is flush with the grazer, a simple and quick adjustmnt of the grazers depth stop adjusts for this protrusion.

In use I have found out that the new blades defiantly make cut even easier than the original blades, this i suspect is down to the slightly different cutting angle, as the new blades being sharpened on one side only makes the cutting edge slightly lower than the original blade. To date I have fitted 3 tips with the same blade and it is still cutting as good as when it was new, and I still have 9 more blades in the pack, so at £2.99 inc free p&p for 10 i can highly recommend them for the job and the cash saving, i certainly will be stick with them fro now on.

Regards
    Ian (p.s i have no association or affiliation with the seller other than being a happy customer)
    P7160018-min.JPGP7160001-min.JPG

link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spare-Blad...item2ed5ffd933

Where did you buy the Joe Porper tip tool from? Just looked on eBay and only available from American sellers. Could do with something better to take down the laminated tips myself.

Comment

Dremel, just use any rotary tool on speed 1. Mask the ferrule with insulating tape just in case and be gentle and light with the Dremel. I can round a Kamui in a minute. So easy. Then use a Craftsmen Cues tip shaper to fine file the tip to a dome.

Comment

http://www.pro9.co.uk/html/theprosho...t&pid=TOOL0004

hth
        ian

Comment

blades here:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spare-Blad...item2ed5ffd933

Comment

Originally Posted by arcadian2002 View Post
            Thanks Ian, I'll take a look. I'm using plastic pencil sharpener at moment and bit hit and miss on the harder tips.

Comment

How does this tip shaper/grazer work?

I'm assuming you just put it over the tip & then rotate it?

Comment

IMHO its easier to rotate your tip holding the grazer still, and then when close to the ferrule hold the cue still and rotate the grazer around any high spots.

P.S using the grazer i never need to sand the outer diameter, just shape the tip with a carbon ferrite tip tool

JHMO
                Ian
                Last edited by arcadian2002; 23 July 2015, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                  Dremel, just use any rotary tool on speed 1. Mask the ferrule with insulating tape just in case and be gentle and light with the Dremel. I can round a Kamui in a minute. So easy. Then use a Craftsmen Cues tip shaper to fine file the tip to a dome.
                  Dremel? lololololol

what next, a thermal lance to remove an old tip?
                  #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Originally Posted by arcadian2002 View Post
                    IMHO its easier to rotate your tip holding the grazer still, and then when close to the ferrule hold the cue still and rotate the grazer around any high spots.

P.S using the grazer i never need to sand the outer diameter, just shape the tip with a carbon ferrite tip tool

JHMO
                    Ian
                    Thanks for this Ian. I bought a mushroom grazer from a fellow member then bought the pencil sharpener blades. Tried the original blade first then changed to the new blades. I found the new blades to be much better and cut down the tip much easier than my old big plastic pencil sharpener.

Comment

Working...
                    X