Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cue; do I need to change the tip?

Hey guys,

My new cue's just arrived. It looks wonderful, apart from one thing—the tip. You can see pictures [a href='http://i.gyazo.com/af72563ba9db397a14aa8faa5ec41e60.png']here[/a] and [a href='http://i.gyazo.com/db6b93f213d7d85f5b7e3b6aca238a87.png']here[/a]. I don't recall actually seeing anyone use a tip like this before, where it's raised like that. Normally the tip sticks straight onto the gold bit, doesn't it? It's incredibly flat too, and the chalk doesn't even go on properly (as you can see in the pictures, you can't actually cover it with chalk).

This is only my second cue ever, and my first was bought years ago so I can't remember whether that was the same or what I did regarding the tip. Plus I'm just completely clueless regarding the equipment side of the game anyway. So I thought I'd ask the experts :tongue:

I'm assuming the answer is going to be yes, I do need to change it before using it. But I just thought I'd check, because I'm pretty terrible at applying tips, so I don't want to do it unnecessarily!

Thanks.

Oops, I seem to have made a hash of the links... I'm not able to edit my post either, presumably because I'm new. Hopefully you can work out how to view them, ha

Comment

The tip probably needs a bit of shaping, and roughening up (tip shaper, and or sandpaper). Not too much. Give that a go, and see how it plays. Unless you know what sort of tip you like to play with that's as good a starting point as any. Also, don't forget to bed it in a bit, before whacking it about (lots of little delicate shots, or bounce a cue ball on the end to compact it a bit). Then shape again as necessary, and play.

It's probably just a bit thick, and a bit hard, but that can be a good thing for playability once you've fettled it to your preference.

Comment

Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
        The tip probably needs a bit of shaping, and roughening up (tip shaper, and or sandpaper). Not too much. Give that a go, and see how it plays. Unless you know what sort of tip you like to play with that's as good a starting point as any. Also, don't forget to bed it in a bit, before whacking it about (lots of little delicate shots, or bounce a cue ball on the end to compact it a bit). Then shape again as necessary, and play.

It's probably just a bit thick, and a bit hard, but that can be a good thing for playability once you've fettled it to your preference.
        Right, so you don't think it needs changing? I guess I'm just not used to a tip that raised, so I assumed it was just a crap one that you're supposed to replace as soon as you get it. Here's a comparison next to the tip of what is now my old cue:

Also, why is it necessary to bed it in a bit? I er... may have just forgot about that and gone straight into playing with it, including "whacking it about". It was only for an hour or so. It won't have done any damage, will it? Is it still worth bedding it in now or will the practice session have done that already?

Comment

Originally Posted by unoriginalname View Post

Right, so you don't think it needs changing? I guess I'm just not used to a tip that raised, so I assumed it was just a crap one that you're supposed to replace as soon as you get it. Here's a comparison next to the tip of what is now my old cue:

Also, why is it necessary to bed it in a bit? I er... may have just forgot about that and gone straight into playing with it, including "whacking it about". It was only for an hour or so. It won't have done any damage, will it? Is it still worth bedding it in now or will the practice session have done that already?
          Jesus H Christ! The tip will probably be crap but if you change it or even just reshape the current tip get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you, your old cue you've butchered the ferrule

Comment

You bed the tip in so it compresses evenly and will then hold its shape, if you don't and start playing power shots the tip will flaten and become unevenly shaped and wear out quickly

Comment

Given the choice of those two, I'd definitely have the tip on the left.

The one on the right is too shallow, and the contact/glue point to the ferrule is not flat. The ferrule looks domed from sanding (not good!). This will likely result in a less solid hit, and a short clunky contact with the cue ball. The tip on the right looks worn, and to have spread. The one on the left has high burnished sides, which should help resist this spread. It is also nicely aligned with the sides of the ferrule, and flat to it, making the contact point solid over the full diameter of the tip. Bedding it in will compact it evenly and make it play consistently, while minimising wear. Shape roughen the tip a little, and it should take chalk nicely. When you shape make strokes down towards the butt end of the cue, to avoid pulling on the tip - sanding down into the cue keeps it compressed.

Having said that, how hard or soft you want a tip is personal preference. I prefer a reasonably hard tip (and I use a tip press to compact them before fitting). I find I need to replace them less often that way, and I can get used to anything - so I might as well get used to the option that means less ongoing maintenance.

Comment

Both tips need changing, by someone skilled.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                  Both tips need changing, by someone skilled.
                  get your tip out MB....
                  #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

...out of curiosity....I've recently been finishing four cues. These are the tips I've put on them. They are the buffalo Diamond Plus Tips from ADR, put through a tip press. Still a little bit of
                    shaping to do, but they're basically done.

20150727_174946_450x600.jpg

Comment

...out of curiosity....I've recently been finishing four cues. These are the tips I've put on them. They are the buffalo Diamond Plus Tips from ADR, put through a tip press. Still a little bit of

[ATTACH]18021[/ATTACH]
                      These tips do not need repressing. They're designed to avoid bad soft ones. You just shape em and have the feel of a blue diamond the way they used to be in the 80s, as used by many a world champ.

Comment

[ATTACH]18021[/ATTACH]
                        The diamond plus are excellent tips

Comment

Agree with Dave and Master Blaster ,, BDP do'nt need repressing.
                          Btw ,, u may wanna use a bit of wire wool 0000 grd for that ferrul !!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                            Agree with Dave and Master Blaster ,, BDP do'nt need repressing.
                            Btw ,, u may wanna use a bit of wire wool 0000 grd for that ferrul !!!
                            Ramon my friend!

I put a bit of superglue on the ferrule (masking tape around the shaft/tip) to protect it when I screw through. I've found that it's polishing on soft contact from the baize, don't want to wear it out; or am I paranoid!? lol

Comment

If folk are pressing a BDP, have a go on GBL Granite tips, they are harder still and consistent. The only issue is the large amount of throw on these babies. Such a shame this happens, a good tip otherwise but no equal to a BDP!

Comment

Working...
                              X