Home made mini butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made mini butt?

One of the students, here, was trying to straighten a rack cue. He snapped the end. So I now have a fairly low quality butt.

It seems to me that it would be absurdly simple to convert this into a mini butt.

Any thoughts?
    王可

Yes very - I did the same to replace one that came with a pool cue I bought from ADR.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old cue collector --
    Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
    (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

How did you do it?
      王可

Comment

Might be on to something there, how about a range of classic cue mini butts with replica badges?
        No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
          ....It seems to me that it would be absurdly simple to convert this into a mini butt. ...
          Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
          How did you do it?
          Thought you said it was simple ???

Comment

yep, simple - send to a local cue maker
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I cheated.. gave it to a mate who fitted the joint and turned it down on a lathe. 2 min job if you have the gear though.
              Imagine getting the hole straight would be difficult freehand, although you could knock something together as a jig.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Old cue collector --
              Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
              (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I can't see any major problem, but a bit of advice can be helpful! I have some taps and dies and should be able to get a bit of brass rod to thread- I might be able to get it already threaded, I don't know.

Fallback plan is that if it doesn't work, it goes into the wood burning stove.
                王可

Comment

An old Jiang Ying mini-butt had the wrong thread for a phoenix cue. Lock the old thread in a vice and turn it out. Replaced with a screw thread from the shed, glued in with epoxy. Not difficult. For a new one, simply drill carefully in a straight fashion by clamping the new mini-butt in a vice, then coming down on it with a drill bit vertically. Line the mini-butt with rag so the vice doesn't mark it. You could take a chance on finding a thread at a local hardware store or find one on ebay, even easier.

e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cue-butt-j...wAAOSw~gRV1uGY
                  Last edited by focus; 8 March 2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X