What do you stick your tip on with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you stick your tip on with?

yes I score the tip with a Stanley blade.

Comment

Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
      I dont know if I'll get shot for saying this but I also very lightly score the underside of the tip before applying the glue.
      I'll get my gun....
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by mcwinch59 View Post
        yes I score the tip with a Stanley blade.
        Nice one mate, I'm not alone then

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
          I'll get my gun....

................. Haha

Comment

I dont know if I'll get shot for saying this but I also very lightly score the underside of the tip before applying the glue.
            That's what I was always taught to do by my coach mate.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              I use the Super Glue Gel Repositionable, once stuck it is stuck like the non-gel super glue, but just that little times (seconds) to get the tip located nicely, and the gel less likely to splodge all over the place
              the tip can be trimmed and sanded almost immediately, and played with also immediately.
              I'm with this guy - but only on weekends

I also burnish sand the underside of the tip then score the underside a little with a blade

Comment

Originally Posted by Granger91 View Post
                That's what I was always taught to do by my coach mate.
                Also @Byrom ---- Nice one, I thought it would be like a no-no to do that for some reason.

Comment

I only ever use this stuff to glue tips. It's not cheap at about £3-£5 for 5 grammes but is the strongest glue I can find and lasts a long time if stored upright. On it's side it will solidify pretty quicky and become unusable. I've never tried the gel and prefer the liquid.

[image]http://uk.rs-online.com/largeimages/R3304002-25.jpg[/image]

This is my process to retip and get a good bond.

First I find a place where I can jam the cue in. If I have to I can unscrew the cue. Between a wall and something else solid like a wardrobe, bed etc can work but it has to be a tight fit. The idea is that as soon as I glue the tip on I'll be jamming it in place and leaving it there for at least 30 minutes. This is much better than holding it in place manually or using a clamp.

When I've got the place I can jam the cue in ready I use fine sandpaper to smoothen the tip and cue. I'll then use a stanly blade and (carefully) make a few slits in to the tip and cue. I'll then gently sand away the debrit which leaves me with both surfaces ready for glueing.

The idea is that the slits let the glue seep in and it creates a vice like bond between the cue and the tip. When done right nothing can make the tip come off and it will split in half if you tried to snap the tip off leaving part of the tip still on the cue. I used to retip cues at a snooker club and this method prevented them coming off or being nicked by people who didn't want to buy a new tip. If they tried to snap off the tip it would tear becoming useless.

It's something that needs care though because the super stong fast acting glue and sharp stanley blade can cause a lot of injury if not used correctly so whenever I need to retip a cue I'll prepare myself and take my time.
                  Attached Files
                  www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
                    I only ever use this stuff to glue tips. It's not cheap at about £3-£5 for 5 grammes but is the strongest glue I can find and lasts a long time if stored upright. On it's side it will solidify pretty quicky and become unusable. I've never tried the gel and prefer the liquid.

[image]http://uk.rs-online.com/largeimages/R3304002-25.jpg[/image]

This is my process to retip and get a good bond.

First I find a place where I can jam the cue in. If I have to I can unscrew the cue. Between a wall and something else solid like a wardrobe, bed etc can work but it has to be a tight fit. The idea is that as soon as I glue the tip on I'll be jamming it in place and leaving it there for at least 30 minutes. This is much better than holding it in place manually or using a clamp.

When I've got the place I can jam the cue in ready I use fine sandpaper to smoothen the tip and cue. I'll then use a stanly blade and (carefully) make a few slits in to the tip and cue. I'll then gently sand away the debrit which leaves me with both surfaces ready for glueing.

The idea is that the slits let the glue seep in and it creates a vice like bond between the cue and the tip. When done right nothing can make the tip come off and it will split in half if you tried to snap the tip off leaving part of the tip still on the cue. I used to retip cues at a snooker club and this method prevented them coming off or being nicked by people who didn't want to buy a new tip. If they tried to snap off the tip it would tear becoming useless.

It's something that needs care though because the super stong fast acting glue and sharp stanley blade can cause a lot of injury if not used correctly so whenever I need to retip a cue I'll prepare myself and take my time.
                    Do me a favour, find ADR's tipping guide, buy some loctite gel and feed back how you get on? No clamp or jammy inny place required
                    No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Also @Byrom ---- Nice one, I thought it would be like a no-no to do that for some reason.
                      I've always found it grips in to the ferrule better to be honest!

Comment

I use gorilla glue, its a thick gel and is fantastic for everything i have used it on.

Bit expensive though.

Comment

Originally Posted by Granger91 View Post
                          I've always found it grips in to the ferrule better to be honest!
                          Yeah deffo, creates a stronger bond, someone told me once that smooth n smooth isnt best surface to glue on, so I started doing my tips with that in mind.

Comment

After starting the thread it's been quite interesting to see the various methods of glueing a tip on.

I've gotta say that all I do is put locktite super glue on the oversized tip and the ferrule, push the two together (masking tape on the ferrule), hold for 5 seconds, turn the cue upside down so the tip is at the bottom and push it for 60 seconds against a beer mate (not bending the cue).

I then cut and shape it immediately and can play with it within 5 minutes and never had one come off.

No fuss, no waiting over night, no tip clamps or glue soaking into tip and changing properties..........probably gonna stick with it (excuse the pun)..
                            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                              After starting the thread it's been quite interesting to see the various methods of glueing a tip on.

I've gotta say that all I do is put locktite super glue on the oversized tip and the ferrule, push the two together (masking tape on the ferrule), hold for 5 seconds, turn the cue upside down so the tip is at the bottom and push it for 60 seconds against a beer mate (not bending the cue).

I then cut and shape it immediately and can play with it within 5 minutes and never had one come off.

No fuss, no waiting over night, no tip clamps or glue soaking into tip and changing properties..........probably gonna stick with it (excuse the pun)..
                              Why would anyone do anything else? Although I tempted by the gorilla glue, could just do with that extra 5 seconds to centre the tip?
                              No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

The technique of making indentations with a stanley blade on the tip and cue is a good way of reducing the chances of the tip coming off mid frame regardless of how the tip is applied and I agree that two completely smooth surfaces is not the best way to achieve this. I was told this by a pro a long time ago and my tips coming off at the worst possible time became a thing of the past. I also stopped shaping the tip because it was easy to overdo it. I have a 10mm ferrule and a 10mm tip fits perfectly snug on it. I prefer to use potting to wear it in and find this approach makes me much more consistent as well. If I control my urge to use too much power the tips can last indefintely instead of a few months when I was whacking in every shot and wearing it down to a small disc before replacing.
                                www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Working...
                                X