Tip Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip Press

Hi, can anyone recommend a eBay seller (or a UK shop) for a tip press please for use with 10-11mm tips? I would like a domed finish not flat. ADR147 do you do these to save waiting for one coming from far East?

Originally Posted by rdsalt View Post
    Hi, can anyone recommend a eBay seller (or a UK shop) for a tip press please for use with 10-11mm tips? I would like a domed finish not flat. ADR147 do you do these to save waiting for one coming from far East?
    Tried to pm you but your inbox is full.

Domed tip presses in the uk
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Thanks for that, didn't know inbox was full so I've had a clear out.

Another question, when I fit a new tip I find it too tall for my liking (one of the reasons I was thinking of getting a clamp, to harden the tip but also reduce the height). Whats the best way to cut a tip down a bit without ruining it? When I try to cut it down it often tears the tip or am I better to just keep sanding away for ages until its at the right height? I just use normal tips by the way not layered ones.

Comment

Thanks for that, didn't know inbox was full so I've had a clear out.

Another question, when I fit a new tip I find it too tall for my liking (one of the reasons I was thinking of getting a clamp, to harden the tip but also reduce the height). Whats the best way to cut a tip down a bit without ruining it? When I try to cut it down it often tears the tip or am I better to just keep sanding away for ages until its at the right height? I just use normal tips by the way not layered ones.
        Personally I sand the tip down as it doesn't take that long. I start with just normal sandpaper and then use the curved tool to get it just right.

I tried cutting large pieces off but got various results dependent on the way the tip is constructed.

I generally don't use a tip press to get the height down, it's used to make the tip more dense / compact making it a harder or softer feel.

Pressing a tip

Comment

i normally trim flush with the ferrule then take the top mm or so off with a sharp blade then shape the top, knock it in lightly with a hammer, shape the top again, then trim flush again with the ferrule.
          http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Thanks, as I said when I try to cut the top of the tip it sometimes tears the leather so maybe I'm trying to take off too much in one go. What is the roughest grade of sandpaper that's safe to use when trying to reduce the tip height so it doesn't take ages?

Comment

Thanks, as I said when I try to cut the top of the tip it sometimes tears the leather so maybe I'm trying to take off too much in one go. What is the roughest grade of sandpaper that's safe to use when trying to reduce the tip height so it doesn't take ages?
              a new sharp blade wont tear the tip, if it does its a **** tip and it needs to come off anyway! i use the replaceable sheets that come with a plastic peradon tip file to take the bulk off and for roughing up, not sure what grade they are tbh. you want glasspaper/wet dry paper really, you dont want sandpaper grains ingrained in your tip. i have anything from 100 up to 3000 grade in my box of tricks.
              http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the good service shockerz. Been reading your blog and there's some really good interesting stuff. I'm expecting some comments from the wife tonight when she opens the fridge to find a glass of milk with tips floating around.

Comment

Thanks for the good service shockerz. Been reading your blog and there's some really good interesting stuff. I'm expecting some comments from the wife tonight when she opens the fridge to find a glass of milk with tips floating around.
                  No problem mate, glad to help.

As regards the milk experiments, you're on your own buddy......my wife just shakes her head now and glazes over when I talk about a good batch.

I guess it's gotta be better than fishermen and maggots though!

Let me know how you get on, I'm still playing with the first one as it's lasted for ages.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                    Personally I sand the tip down as it doesn't take that long. I start with just normal sandpaper and then use the curved tool to get it just right.

I tried cutting large pieces off but got various results dependent on the way the tip is constructed.

I generally don't use a tip press to get the height down, it's used to make the tip more dense / compact making it a harder or softer feel.

Pressing a tip
                    I have tried sanding a tip down by myself, with circular motion on a flat surface. But perhaps my force exerting onto the tip wasn't even enough, I ended up with an uneven bottom surface of the tip. Is this a big deal? Should I try to further sand it to a perfectly flat and even surface?

Comment

Originally Posted by zenith View Post
                      I have tried sanding a tip down by myself, with circular motion on a flat surface. But perhaps my force exerting onto the tip wasn't even enough, I ended up with an uneven bottom surface of the tip. Is this a big deal? Should I try to further sand it to a perfectly flat and even surface?
                      when sanding the bottom of a tip, do it in a figure if eight and keep checking it for level. You don't really need to apply any real pressure, just keep it light. Keep practicing on different cheap tips until you are used to it.

Comment

when sanding the bottom of a tip, do it in a figure if eight and keep checking it for level. You don't really need to apply any real pressure, just keep it light. Keep practicing on different cheap tips until you are used to it.
                        I would add, figure of eight with a quarter turn every few laps, I don't know if this makes any difference just what I do.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                          I would add, figure of eight with a quarter turn every few laps, I don't know if this makes any difference just what I do.
                          Interesting, I've never done that, I just try and keep it level.

I guess we all have our little idiosyncrasy's (big word considering I've woken up!).

Comment

Interesting, I've never done that, I just try and keep it level.

I guess we all have our little idiosyncrasy's (big word considering I've woken up!).
                            My thoughts behind it are, if you have a tendency to lean a wee bit on one side of the tip or another, turning it will even that out. As I say I have no idea if it makes any difference, but in my head it makes sense.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I recently bought one of these tip presses. Just about ready to try it out on a 10mm elk master.
                              Question for those who has already tried one out:- Once the tip is compressed (elk master in my case), does the playability change w.r.t the sound it makes when striking the cue ball and does it take chalk just as well as a regular elkie?

Comment

Working...
                              X